Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 2.22 AM and I just finished rebuilding my Micro 9. I had put in the MCarbo spring system after I had put 100 rounds through it. I just got back my Kimber LW 5" from their fixit shop. I had FTF and FTE problems with it. I also took that to the range after their upgrade. I put 50 rounds through it which were mostly 8+1 and it went off perfectly. Smooth and so accurate it made even me look good. My Ultra Carry II also performed the same.

I had decided to take the Micro 9 out for a little proficiency since this is what I want to carry. I had installed the MCarbo set. I have shot it before and loved it. Today (yesterday) it started dropping the magazine (clip for Chuck43). I didn't even put 50 rounds through it. I just packed it up and left. Knowing that Kimber will ask for the gun for repair, I had to uninstall the MCarbo set and reinstall the factory parts. It was a pain. I guess I took for granted that I have never had a gun (and I have owned more that one) fail out of the box. I installed the spring set too soon. I guess I was just over-anxious to start carrying the Micro.

None of these Kimber guns are competition pistols. The AK does an OK job for what it was made for because of its machined tolerances. Kimbers are defensive weapons. It seems they could be a little looser and still get the job done. Nobody wants to spent $250 to put the "required" 500 round through a new gun to break it in. Giving these guns a little leeway in tolerances ain't gonna hurt nothing. The reason I like the Kimber is the way it automatically points towards a target for me better than any pistol I have, but it is just not as reliable as a S&W out of the box.

2 months ago, I went to our local gun show-it's a big one. There was not one 45 caliber pistol in the place.
Oh well. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
It's 2.22 AM and I just finished rebuilding my Micro 9. I had put in the MCarbo spring system after I had put 100 rounds through it. I just got back my Kimber LW 5" from their fixit shop. I had FTF and FTE problems with it. I also took that to the range after their upgrade. I put 50 rounds through it which were mostly 8+1 and it went off perfectly. Smooth and so accurate it made even me look good. My Ultra Carry II also performed the same.

I had decided to take the Micro 9 out for a little proficiency since this is what I want to carry. I had installed the MCarbo set. I have shot it before and loved it. Today (yesterday) it started dropping the magazine (clip for Chuck43). I didn't even put 50 rounds through it. I just packed it up and left. Knowing that Kimber will ask for the gun for repair, I had to uninstall the MCarbo set and reinstall the factory parts. It was a pain. I guess I took for granted that I have never had a gun (and I have owned more that one) fail out of the box. I installed the spring set too soon. I guess I was just over-anxious to start carrying the Micro.

None of these Kimber guns are competition pistols. The AK does an OK job for what it was made for because of its machined tolerances. Kimbers are defensive weapons. It seems they could be a little looser and still get the job done. Nobody wants to spent $250 to put the "required" 500 round through a new gun to break it in. Giving these guns a little leeway in tolerances ain't gonna hurt nothing. The reason I like the Kimber is the way it automatically points towards a target for me better than any pistol I have, but it is just not as reliable as a S&W out of the box.

2 months ago, I went to our local gun show-it's a big one. There was not one 45 caliber pistol in the place.
Oh well. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.
...I'm sure the folks a Kimber will get her dialed in for you. Sounds like a fairly simple fix. If you tell them you're "not sure" about the "clip", nicely, they'll more likely than not send you an extra one for your inconvenience? Despite what you hear on the "wisecracker line" Micros are great little pistols. The ergonomics are excellent in my opinion. They are metal production guns so a break in period is to be expected. That goes for any of the Star D descendants or pretty much anything out there for that matter. I've had warranty work done by Kimber, Ruger, Marlin and CZ in the past 4 years! That warranty is part of what you paid for. If need be use it.
JMO

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts