Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. But I wouldn't be slingshotting the slide at full force in to an empty chamber a lot.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
I've dry fired my guns thousands of time but if you want to have some fun try taking it to the next level with a laserlyte laser trainer cartridge. We had a thread going on the cartridge and target just before Christmas, you can find them on Amazon for less then the factory prices.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why but every time I price something now I look at it in rounds of ammo. one of these targets and laser cartridges is about a thousand rounds of 9mm.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Priorities, my boy. Priorities. ;)

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I don't know why but every time I price something now I look at it in rounds of ammo. one of these targets and laser cartridges is about a thousand rounds of 9mm.
But when money may be tight...
You still get to practice your shooting skills...
Just put the last scene of Scarface on from YouTube and turn up the volume really loud and then ya shoot the laserlyte at the target and it makes you feel like you're at the range with all the gunfire..
Works for me...
P.S...Ya have to say "Say hello to my little friend" to make it legit...:D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Dry firing is not bad for modern center fire guns but it is great for improving your accuracy. My last range trip, I started doing about 5 or 6 dry fires before inserting each magazine and I believe it helps steady me up and helps me get into that groove where it feels good. It also promotes a focus on mechanics since you aren't focused on whether your last shot was a good one or a bad one, etc. You also break the muscle memory cycle of expecting and anticipating the bang every time.

As for wear, why would it cause any greater wear than actually shooting? Here is one article on the subject.

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/11134/dry-firing-guaranteed-to-improve-shooting-skills/

Reactions: glokrok

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts

That's true but what do you have after you shoot those 1000 rounds of 9mm?

I recently added a .380 training cartridge to my setup and would guess I have about 8000 shots fired between the .45 and .380 without having to pay range fees, driving to the range or cleaning my guns.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That's true but what do you have after you shoot those 1000 rounds of 9mm?

I recently added a .380 training cartridge to my setup and would guess I have about 8000 shots fired between the .45 and .380 without having to pay range fees, driving to the range or cleaning my guns.
How has your target and laser cartridge held up for you? Read some rough reviews on it?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dry firing is not bad for modern center fire guns but it is great for improving your accuracy. My last range trip, I started doing about 5 or 6 dry fires before inserting each magazine and I believe it helps steady me up and helps me get into that groove where it feels good. It also promotes a focus on mechanics since you aren't focused on whether your last shot was a good one or a bad one, etc. You also break the muscle memory cycle of expecting and anticipating the bang every time.

As for wear, why would it cause any greater wear than actually shooting? Here is one article on the subject.

Dry firing: guaranteed to improve shooting skills
I never dry fire at the range. I never think about it. Great idea! I saw this drill tonight right before I
read your post. I'm going to try it tomorrow for a magazine or 2.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
How has your target and laser cartridge held up for you? Read some rough reviews on it?
I've had it for 6 months now and it gets used a couple of times a week with no problems to date.

Reactions: glokrok

·
Registered
868 Posts
I never dry fire at the range. I never think about it. Great idea! I saw this drill tonight right before I
read your post. I'm going to try it tomorrow for a magazine or 2.
Pistol Shooting Drill to Improve Accuracy - Shooting Tips from SIG SAUER Academy - YouTube
Most people do not. I do quite a bit. Not allowed to holster draw at my most frequented range but I like practicing drawing straight out from my chest and get on target as fast as I can. I bet I spend 30% of my range time dry firing now that I think about it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is off subj but you aint gonna believe what I did today. I was reloading. The slide is back I slip a round in the chamber and instead of releasing the slide I put the loaded magazine in and hit the slide release. Now I got her jammed up good. The magazine won't release the shell won't come out I'm stuck like Chuck! (No offense Chuck43) I push the shell back down in the magazine and hit the magazine release and it clears. I aint real smart.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Attention lapse can be painful. You lucked out.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
This is off subj but you aint gonna believe what I did today. I was reloading. The slide is back I slip a round in the chamber and instead of releasing the slide I put the loaded magazine in and hit the slide release. Now I got her jammed up good. The magazine won't release the shell won't come out I'm stuck like Chuck! (No offense Chuck43) I push the shell back down in the magazine and hit the magazine release and it clears. I aint real smart.

No offense taken and none meant, the brain must be fully engaged when handling firearms.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
One time and one time only, I put a mag of 9mm in my 45 and all I heard was not the sound of a 45 firing.
I keep that blown out shell casing in my range bag as a reminder and since that day I keep my 9mm mags on the left side of the range shelf and my 45's on the right...
I always wondered what would have happened if I did the opposite...A 45 in a 9mm firearm???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts