Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree. I have always looked at the .40 as a yuppie round. All the power of a .45 but the speed of a 9mm b.s.
Give me a .45 or 9mm any day!

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Okay Then......

Your opinion. Your right. Your choice. I stand ready to defend that right!!!! ;););)

However, I AM a fan of the .40 S&W cartridge and own two. I even carry them for self defense with full confidence!!!

My opinion! My right! My choice! :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: PorscheVille

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Kimber did for a short time make a 40. The 40 is very popular in US PSA single stack division because it be loaded to make major and have an extra round or two and still make length.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
If you don't like them, I'm glad you don't have one.

Personally, I have three pistols in .40 S&W. I enjoy it. Some don't like the snap, but I do. Until obtaining a Kimber 1911 in .45, the .40 was my favorite round. Now it's the .45. I gave up on .38 and 9mm some time ago and sold or swapped those pistols.

But then, that's why they make different flavored ice cream, isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
I've shot my friends Springfield XD .40, it was nice but it didn't impress me (the cartridge not the gun).

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I'm in the not a big fan of .40 S&W camp. I'd much rather shoot .45.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
After owning and shooting my 40's I have to tell you I was a little disappointed in my first 45 as far as recoil. I was expecting more snap. Especially with the 3inch. I like them all. They are all unique. Changing calibers and guns keep you thinking.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Well, I don't hate them. I just don't want to have to stock up on another caliber.
I don't believe that anyone is trying to force you to purchase .40 S&W ammo!!! :eek::eek::eek:

If you don't like it, don't buy it!!! That leaves more for me!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
After owning and shooting my 40's I have to tell you I was a little disappointed in my first 45 as far as recoil. I was expecting more snap. Especially with the 3inch. I like them all. They are all unique. Changing calibers and guns keep you thinking.
This is just my opinion and I have had both the 40 and the 45 but I think it is because the round has more energy than a .45 ACP in general, but with a much lighter bullet, (typically 180 grain vs. 230) so about 20% lighter, but with about 20% faster velocity. (900 fps vs. 1100 fps.
That makes the round "snappier" because you have a faster burning powder and a noticeably shorter impulse around the recoil. This tends to create more muzzle flip, particularly in smaller lighter pistol platforms.

It depends on what sort of gun you are shooting .40 out of though..

·
Registered
868 Posts
I carry a .40 everyday however it is my only pistol chambered for that round. The XD is super reliable, nice holster, and pistol size makes it perfect for me at work. Other than that, I much prefer a .45 but have great respect for all calibers people choose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the .40 and consider it an accurate and sound defensive round. I own a Kimber 10 mm that I really love and have considered having a .40 barrel fitted to the gun. My .40s are of the "plastic" configuration. I wish Kimber would make a .40 in a five-inch target model. I would snap one up in a minute! If you reload, a .40 is a fun round to play around with.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My first pistol was chambered in .40. I still have the gun and keep a full mag in it of defense rounds in the night stand. The gun is too big to carry daily in my opinion but I still love to shoot it. These days it's .45 as a carry caliber for me!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
If you do, post the link.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts