Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a ftf with my ultra crimson carry ii the other day it was with reload jhp ammo. and less than five hundred rounds. I now I know don't bash me. also had a ftf with my glock 30S using blazer aluminum case target ammo. so I decide to clean ejector, so I look it up on youtube and wahlah. no problem with the kimber but when I was coming back together with the glock that I decided to clean without youtubing it. I could not get the loaded chamber indicator back in place so I had to break down and youtube it. sure enough I had to hold down the firing pin safety while placing the indicator in and then let off of the firing pen safety. I would have never figured that out. so for those that don't know one can perform brain surgery by watching youtube. :)

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
On the Glock, that's not really your loaded chamber indicator, it's your extractor. It is handy that when it is "in" the chamber is empty and when it's "flush with the slide" the chamber is loaded. I wouldn't rely on that, though.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
YouTube can also bestow a false sense of confidence in someone like me to perform gunsmithing when I have no business doing so. Or as my gunsmith said, "YouTube gunsmiths keep me in business!"

But I agree it is handy when doing things like stripping a Pro model for the first time and you're wondering why there is no bushing....

I had my gunsmith put on my Heine sights. I'm sure with youTube and the right tool I could have done it.....incorrectly.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
If it is takes a tool for more than a punch to take a pin out, I don't do it. Youtube is great for disassembly/assembly types of activity, but I would never use a tool on one of my guns based on what I saw on Youtube, that includes changing sights without a sight press.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the Glock, that's not really your loaded chamber indicator, it's your extractor. It is handy that when it is "in" the chamber is empty and when it's "flush with the slide" the chamber is loaded. I wouldn't rely on that, though.
that little piece of plastic is the extractor? shows you what I know. I appreciate all the comments. I think I may need to slow down on my gunsmithing. thanks

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Plastic? On a Glock slide? I don't think so. The little anvil piece on the right of the slide that is secured by the fp safety is not not plastic and is actually your extractor. Look at the L shape hook.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Oh Yeah........!!!!

U-tube can make you "ten feet tall and bulletproof!!!" However, keep in mind what Harry Callihan said in the movie Magnum Force: "A man has got to know his limitations!!"
:eek::eek:

If you don't feel comfortable assembling your kids Christmas toys or if those toys have ever fallen apart with their first use: gunsmithing may not be for you!!! By The Lineman--Board certified Rocket Surgeon!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: glokrok

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Basic tools: hammer, screwdriver, glue, WD-40.

Now, what do you need me to fix?

Reactions: Lineman

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
You forgot duct tape!
I was waiting for someone to catch that. Ya, see. Duct tape is in a category all on it's own. There is a world of uses for duct tape, but it's ubiquitous nature actually disqualifies it as a tool. Tools actually require some skill from the user to be effective. Duct tape is complete and effective, even without any skill from the user. Ergo, duct tape is not a tool.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I was waiting for someone to catch that. Ya, see. Duct tape is in a category all on it's own. There is a world of uses for duct tape, but it's ubiquitous nature actually disqualifies it as a tool. Tools actually require some skill from the user to be effective. Duct tape is complete and effective, even without any skill from the user. Ergo, duct tape is not a tool.
Countless numbers of people think it is the ultimate fix all and would probably classify as a tool.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
That's because countless people have no tool skills. ;)

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Exactly ............ LOL

Reactions: Islander

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
First rule of repair work, don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts