Kimber Talk Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not really complaining, but I’m not fartin’ rainbows either.
My ideal UCII 9mm would be all black or blued, with FO sights and G10 grips, with no ambi safety.
Does the custom shop do plain-Jane?

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Just FYI, "Custom Shop" stamped on Kimber's is marketing, it's not what you might think (several talented craftsman in a big room at Troy Alabama hand building, customizing owners pistols that have been sent in or fitting and checking factory pistol labeled Custom Shop.
No custom shop division at Kimber.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I’m not really complaining, but I’m not fartin’ rainbows either.
My ideal UCII 9mm would be all black or blued, with FO sights and G10 grips, with no ambi safety.
Does the custom shop do plain-Jane?

The ideal Ultra Carry II.
Stainless steel, rosewood grips, FO front sight, no ambi safety, God's Caliber.
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Material property
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Bicycle part

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I have a plain jane it's just not blue but it is that "other" caliber. Mine was used and this is a pic of what it looked like the day I got it.
Air gun Wood Trigger Tableware Gun barrel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I already have a Commander in “God’s Caliber”. Just too heavy to carry except in winter with a shoulder holster.
I also have a boat load of quality 9mm HP ammo that I don’t want to waste. Thus the choice of 9mm.
Guess I’ll go the stainless (or two-tone) route and replace grips and sights.
Happy lead slingin’!

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
They might still make a Raptor Ultra in Blue, not sure. Or you could go full blown Bar B Q gun, Sapphire Ultra 9mm.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Electric blue

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. I already have a Commander in “God’s Caliber”. Just too heavy to carry except in winter with a shoulder holster.
I also have a boat load of quality 9mm HP ammo that I don’t want to waste. Thus the choice of 9mm.
Guess I’ll go the stainless (or two-tone) route and replace grips and sights.
I bailed my Colt Combat Commander for the "too heavy" factor for carry. It also required much work to function properly, not the case with any of my Ultra's. I learned long ago that if you want to carry a version of the 1911, an alloy frame is your friend. For pure range work or duty, the steel frame comes into play, but is really not necessary (for me) for a carry pistol, especially if you carry a lot.....I do.

When I feel I 'need' for the .45, it's either my Ultra CDP or Super Carry Ultra +, or for 'normal' carry, it's my 9mm Ultra CDP. All three have alloy frames.

When going into the city though, my Super Carry Ultra + with her nice round butt gets holstered:

I know you want all black, but if you can get over that aversion, the Ultra CDP in 9mm fits your criteria perfectly. Carries light, night sights, front strap treatment, like the name implies, it's designed and made for carry.

My Ultra turns all black when I go into the outback for varmints with my Compact Converson mounted on the .45 frame. I know, not the subject, but had to throw it in for fun. Notice the wear on the finish? An indication of just how much this puppy gets carried.

With the cost of 9mm ammo being so much cheaper than .45, even my handloads can be made for a pittance compared to factory, I admit to shooting my nines much, much more nowadays. And for many years, I poo-poo'd the 9mm. Funny how perceptions change over time. Maybe you (SubChaser) can get over the two-tone thing and get the pistol you really want in the guise of a Kimber CDP. Maybe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bailed my Colt Combat Commander for the "too heavy" factor for carry. It also required much work to function properly, not the case with any of my Ultra's. I learned long ago that if you want to carry a version of the 1911, an alloy frame is your friend. For pure range work or duty, the steel frame comes into play, but is really not necessary (for me) for a carry pistol, especially if you carry a lot.....I do.

When I feel I 'need' for the .45, it's either my Ultra CDP or Super Carry Ultra +, or for 'normal' carry, it's my 9mm Ultra CDP. All three have alloy frames.

When going into the city though, my Super Carry Ultra + with her nice round butt gets holstered:

I know you want all black, but if you can get over that aversion, the Ultra CDP in 9mm fits your criteria perfectly. Carries light, night sights, front strap treatment, like the name implies, it's designed and made for carry.

My Ultra turns all black when I go into the outback for varmints with my Compact Converson mounted on the .45 frame. I know, not the subject, but had to throw it in for fun. Notice the wear on the finish? An indication of just how much this puppy gets carried.

With the cost of 9mm ammo being so much cheaper than .45, even my handloads can be made for a pittance compared to factory, I admit to shooting my nines much, much more nowadays. And for many years, I poo-poo'd the 9mm. Funny how perceptions change over time. Maybe you (SubChaser) can get over the two-tone thing and get the pistol you really want in the guise of a Kimber CDP. Maybe?
Nice arsenal!
Two strikes on the CDP IMHO - silver and ambi safety, not to mention extra finance. I’ll likely find a stainless or two-time and swap sights and grips. Close enough.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I have two that are all black, RCP Ultra, SIS Ultra.
Brown Grille Sleeve Bag Grey
Grey Air gun Sleeve Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys, I found what I was looking for. But it’s a Desert Eagle instead of a Kimber. Not sure how much I’ll be around this pub now, but it has been a pleasure to read and chat with all y’all. Keep the bidness end pointed away from ya.
Rectangle Font Electronics accessory Fashion accessory Transparency

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well guys, I found what I was looking for. But it’s a Desert Eagle instead of a Kimber. Not sure how much I’ll be around this pub now, but it has been a pleasure to read and chat with all y’all. Keep the bidness end pointed away from ya. View attachment 127562
Nice looking pistol! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hey, don't bail just because you didn't buy a Kimber!
I'm sure may here (including myself) would be interested in hearing your experience with the new gun.
These guys here tolerate me and my Browning Hi-Power, so your new Desert Eagle should not be an issue at all. Even CZ's and Sig's appear here all the time, so give us the scoop on the DE when she comes home.

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
The guys are right, I'd like to see a range report on your Desert Eagle. You don't have to own a Kimber to be a member here, just someone interested in guns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.