Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM SCARED....to carry my Kimber cocked. just cant make myself do it. nope.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Then, by all means, don't do it. You could opt for 'condition 3' or the Israeli Carry method. I'm sure with practice you could be proficient enough for 99.9% defensive situations. I've always thought there was too much emphasis put on combat-like techniques and/or training. But that's just me.

For me, regardless of my weapon condition, if I see something going down, I'm seeking cover/concealment so I can assess the situation before drawing my weapon. Once drawn I want to make the best shot I can. As much as I like John Wayne, he ain't me and I'm not him. YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Perfectly safe way to carry it, much better than trying to get a round in the chamber or cocking the hammer on a live round.

With the hammer cocked and the safety on, the safety blocks the hammer so it can't fall even if the trigger is pulled. The grip safety has an arm on it that blocks the trigger bow from tripping the sear unless the safety is held in by the proper shooting hold on the weapon.

That's the way the 1911 is designed, but the cocked hammer freaks people out, but with a striker fired pistol like a Glock you can't see it so people are comfortable carrying it.

With an understanding of the internals of the 1911 you will be more confidant it carrying in condition one.

·
Super Moderator
38,337 Posts
I was taught cocked and locked and I'm perfectly comfortable with it, I'm finding that even with my latest acquisition which lacks the grip safety I'm not having any second thoughts about it. But you have to do what makes you comfortable and if condition 1 isn't it then by all means don't carry that way. That doesn't make you a bad guy it shows you're thinking and thinking people are generally safe people.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I was taught cocked and locked and I'm perfectly comfortable with it, I'm finding that even with my latest acquisition which lacks the grip safety I'm not having any second thoughts about it. But you have to do what makes you comfortable and if condition 1 isn't it then by all means don't carry that way. That doesn't make you a bad guy it shows you're thinking and thinking people are generally safe people.
I would agree. You have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with. For me, I'm fine with condition one as long as there's a manual safety.

On the other hand, I'm not at all comfortable with 'cocked & locked' on my Sig P226 that has no manual safety, just a decocker & DA/SA trigger. That gun will always be a range only gun for me.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
The Choice Is Yours!

John Browning designed the 1911 to be carried in condition one. Yes, that gives less than knowledgeable. non-gun people "the willies"!!:eek:

Try this: Clear your pistol. Visually and physically check that it not loaded, store the ammo in another room, then cock the hammer and apply the thumb safety. THEN, do anything that you can think of in an effort to make that hammer drop. Get serious about it!!! The only combination that works is releasing the thumb safety, depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger, in that order. Let me know if you can find a way to drop it. I'd like to hear about it!!!!! :D:D

However, confidence in a firearm is a matter of a very personal nature. Choose the condition you wish to carry your pistol in and practice bringing your pistol into action from that condition. Muscle memory trumps all when under pressure. You do not need to worry about carry condition in a life threatening situation. You do what works for YOU!!!!! I support that choice 100%!!

Me, I carry "cocked and locked!" That is how I learned it and it feels right!! Be confident and safe!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love my Kimber, but don't carry yet as I wait for my CCW. I am not sure if I will carry it or not, and if I do I am not sure how I feel about "condition one" for myself as a novice carrier.

This looks interesting, wish Kimber offered one?

Para LDA

·
Registered
747 Posts
I used to carry my Browning HP in the cocked and locked position. It was my duty/personal weapon and I had no issues with it. A lot of people, who knew less than they thought they knew, got a bit concerned but it was their issue not mine. The 1911 has the additional grip safety the HP didn't have. When I carry the Kimber, it's condition one.
Look at it this way. I also carry a Ruger LCP, when weather and clothing demand it. There is no safety on the LCP, but there is a round in the chamber. Most people feel comfortable doing that, then question the 1911. Like has been stated, it's all personal perception and comprehension.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't carry....yet. But when I do, it will be for the purpose of being prepared for a life threatening situation. And that means Condition 1. I was not in the military and am not a LOE, so I am learning as I go — starting with the ability to shoot at a competent level, getting familiar with different types of guns to see what works best for me and eventually learning how to draw from a concealed holster. Threads like this are great because piece by piece I learn about what others with more experience do, what the laws are in different places and how others feel about preparedness and safety. As a side benefit, I get to enjoy collecting. And let's face it, guns are magnificent machines, and so much more interesting than coins or stamps or other 'things' people enjoy acquiring. There is a lot to learn about firearms and self defense, but I enjoy learning, find it satisfying to see steady improvement and results, and feel more prepared every day to protect my family and myself should the need arise.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I carry my glock 30S with one in the chamber and dont give it a second thought. The trigger is covered by the holster. Same with my glock 23, lcp and sr9c. I don't carry my sigs either. Not for that reason tho. Too heavy. Good comments tho. I appreciate them all.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I carry my G23 with on in the pipe all the time. My holster is a Blackhawk Serpa. Trigger covered. I frequently fall asleep in the recliner with my gun on my hip. Never give it a second thought. Finger control is your best friend when it comes to gun safety, regardless of the type of handgun you carry.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
I carry my glock 30S with one in the chamber and dont give it a second thought. The trigger is covered by the holster. Same with my glock 23, lcp and sr9c. I don't carry my sigs either. Not for that reason tho. Too heavy. Good comments tho. I appreciate them all.
Carrying a 1911 locked and loaded is just as safe as a Glock in condition one maybe safer. With time your 1911 should be just as comfortable as your Glock.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
The safety differences have never bothered me. Cocked & Locked or Striker/Pin safe system was all the same to me. What I think about is the 4# crisp trigger vs. the 5.5# not-so-crisp trigger. Must remember finger control/discipline is #1 in safety.

Reactions: Richard

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
We had by far more negligent discharges involving Glocks than 1911s where I work. Oh wait we haven't had any with 1911s. Two guys have shot holes through their hands preparing to disassemble Glocks. Granted negligent discharges are just that... Negligent. With proper handling holster selection and use; proper selection of cover garments, there should not be an issue with anything.

To us, the accidental discharge is defined as due to mechanical failure of the weapon's fire control/safeties or a foreign body or object that entered the trigger guard and depressed the trigger that was due to circumstances that were beyond the control of the shooter.

Anything else is negligent.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have my TLE chambered, locked and loaded at all times and feel perfectly safe. I have even dropped my cc purse with my gun in it and nothing happened....thank goodness!!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Yeah, I dropped my purse once too and .... nope, not really. Can't wait to carry my Kimber as my EDC, on cocked and locked.

·
Super Moderator
38,337 Posts
That's not a problem, your TLE has the Swartz safety (firing pin block) you can beat on the hammer with a hammer and it won't fire.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Man bag maybe? You know that's the new man thing right...lol! I think they call it a satchel. It's still a purse IMO..haha!

Reactions: PorscheVille
1 - 20 of 45 Posts