Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im thinking of bullet proofing my new Stainless II with all Wilson Combat Bullet Proof internals.

Minus the Barrel cause I'll never shoot enough in a life to need a new barrel.

Poss a few other exceptions. Any thought or help from someone who has done the like I'm listening.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
OK, I have to ask why, are the stock factory parts malfunctioning? Please don't tell me you drank the MIM parts koolaid.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Should be an interesting experiment...
I will keep my Boyz all original since that's the way I bought them and they haven't failed me yet...
If it ain't broke...I ain't fixing it...
Good luck and keep us informed and we love pics...:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though I hate Kimber uses MiM parts, all I own is Kimber. Go figure!!

I just want to for the ideal of owing the perfect 1911. Well machined Kimber frame and barrel.

And the ultimate in 1911 internals. Wilson Combat. This will be a no excuses perfect 1911.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have owned Kimbers since 2002. I currently have I think 10 but have had more on and off and see a lot at my work for inspections etc. I have never seen or had a part break. I can get fine triggers to 3.5. Anything less than that and I would change internals too but a clean 4 pound trigger is all I need. I have done some work on others and the last half dozen Colts and Springers have been built with Harrison Design ignition parts and the other stuff is EGW.

Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doing research I found Wilson Combat will do the work for me. Ill call them tomorrow and ask some questions.

Good thing I saved some coin on this one, cause I see some of my dollar bills becoming property of Wilson Combat.

More to come!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sorry I thought you were doing the work yourself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I thought you were doing the work yourself.
I was but the more I think about it, I wonder how wise doing it myself will be.

IDK, im just gonna hear what they say when I call.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You might consider Springfield Armory Custom shop. You can send them the gun and your parts for fitting and install. They work on Kimbers to and are known for excellent work in a reasonable return time. They have a price list on their site.

I just noticed you are in AZ too. There are some good 1911 guys here too. But unless you need a -3# trigger I still don't understand the need to dump all the parts. I would buy ammo!

Good luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might consider Springfield Armory Custom shop. You can send them the gun and your parts for fitting and install. They work on Kimbers to and are known for excellent work in a reasonable return time. They have a price list on their site.

I just noticed you are in AZ too. There are some good 1911 guys here too. But unless you need a -3# trigger I still don't understand the need to dump all the parts. I would buy ammo!

Good luck
Who do you know that does good 1911 in AZ. Does Robar other than the Robar job? I asked Glockmeister but they said not really.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Robar has done some nice 1911 work and if I didn't do my own I wouldn't have issue with them. Chuck Rogers at Rogers Precision is highly regarded nationally if he is taking work.

Mark Housel at L and M precision in Prescott

Frank Glenn in Phx

Don golumbieski in Mesa at Kodiak Precision

Matt McClearn in payson

The last three are high level competition guys who have built guns for champions. I know most of them and have shot their product over the years.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
We just can't resist tinkering .... oh, my.

Anyway, I can understand the urge. But, as others have asked, "Is there a problem?" Also, once you go down that road Kimber Customer Service is no longer an option unless you want to pay them to put the gun back to original condition before they will service it.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
Old Soul, read post #9 in this thread to see what long time Wilson Combat Customer Satisfaction Representative, Frank Robbins had to say about MIM parts.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A great philosopher here once said "You can't put a price on love"....so, even though there is sound logic in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' argument, I understand the desire to build something custom if you love guns and everything about them. Some like to take old cars and customize them, some like to take guns and make them the way they want them — seeking that ideal 1911. It's more about the process perhaps, than the end product, which may not shoot any better...but that isn't the point anyway.

To Oldsoul I say have fun, then tell us all about it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A great philosopher here once said "You can't put a price on love"....so, even though there is sound logic in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' argument, I understand the desire to build something custom if you love guns and everything about them. Some like to take old cars and customize them, some like to take guns and make them the way they want them - seeking that ideal 1911. It's more about the process perhaps, than the end product, which may not shoot any better...but that isn't the point anyway.

To Oldsoul I say have fun, then tell us all about it.
On the Nosy! If only I could have put it like that!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wilson Combat has been contacted and the email I got told me someone will be in touch. Can't wait

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Go For It!!!

It's your pistol. It's your money. Create what you like!!!

When you are done, send us some pictures and let us know how it shoots ! Hopefully it will meet your expectations!

As Alan Jackson sang in one of his songs......."It ain't no problem, it just takes money!!!" :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: Kimsey and Marshall

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still waiting on Wilson to contact me. Waiting is the hardest part someone once sang.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts