Kimber Talk Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Micro Carry. Standard model I bought new a month ago. Have put about 250 rounds through it and it never has operated right. First magazine was good but after that FTE at least once per magazine.

Asked the dealer I bought it from what was going on and they said try another 50 rounds of FMJ brass bullets.

Ran a box of Federal FMJ and still had same problem.

Sig FMJ worked the best.

At any rate I gave up and called Kimber and they are working on it now.

It was a toss up between the two brands in the OP and had I to do it again it would have been the Sig.

I love the look and feel of the Micro Carry but the trust has been robbed of the product.

If it works without fail upon return I will keep it but if a box of 50 has an issue it is going up for sale.

·
Registered
42 Posts
IMHO, most of Kimber's problems have been with the Solo, which (as an owner) are not without their merits. Kimber still makes quality 1911s, but the Solo at least is probably best just left sitting on the desk pretty and to admired for its beauty (encased in a couple of inches of Lucite).

But Customer Service was great when they deal with my Solo problems, so don't understand the criticism there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Micro Carry. Standard model I bought new a month ago. Have put about 250 rounds through it and it never has operated right. First magazine was good but after that FTE at least once per magazine.

Asked the dealer I bought it from what was going on and they said try another 50 rounds of FMJ brass bullets.

Sig FMJ worked the best.

It was a toss up between the two brands in the OP and had I to do it again it would have been the Sig.

I love the look and feel of the Micro Carry but the trust has been robbed of the product.

If it works without fail upon return I will keep it but if a box of 50 has an issue it is going up for sale.
Same exact issue (and more). We're into month 4 and almost had it right until they sent the incorrect recoil springs.

There is definetly an issue with Micro Carry's FTF and FTE. I talked to several local Kimber dealers and they all admit Kimber Micro has recoil spring issues. I could go on and on with the issues a brand new Micro has, I'll have to say they have worn me out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If any on you are wanting to sell your Micro dirt cheap because it isn't running right for you, let me know what you want for it. There's an answer to any Micro that isn't running right. I have bought Luger's that didn't run good cheep, fixed them and sold then at 2X. No problem that can't be fixed on a Kimber sometimes sending them back to Kimber isn't always the best choice to get it fixed. I'll buy micros that don't work unless they have been used and abused. Let me know the problem and what you want for it in PM's.

Edit to add: I won't give you your money back but I'll give you the best I can and still turn profit. That or if you want I'll Tell you the problem, but sometimes you wouldn't want to hear it!

·
Registered
314 Posts
PS. I just bought a Sig Saur 938 Equinox, because I think it's the best pocket gun there is. But the micro can be tuned to run like a dream.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If any on you are wanting to sell your Micro dirt cheap because it isn't running right for you, let me know what you want for it. There's an answer to any Micro that isn't running right. I have bought Luger's that didn't run good cheep, fixed them and sold then at 2X. No problem that can't be fixed on a Kimber sometimes sending them back to Kimber isn't always the best choice to get it fixed. I'll buy micros that don't work unless they have been used and abused. Let me know the problem and what you want for it in PM's.

Edit to add: I won't give you your money back but I'll give you the best I can and still turn profit. That or if you want I'll Tell you the problem, but sometimes you wouldn't want to hear it!
At times it's been very tempting to trade in both guns and purchase a Sig. I bought two for a father-son Christmas present and we haven't been overly impressed to say the least. Getting rid of both brand new Kimbers would be tough, I bought both and would have a hard time explaining the loss on the home front :)

Kimber will eventually get it right, we're all on a first name basis when I call in.

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Chillis.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hope they do get it right. The size and construction of the gun are great. If is in pocket I don't know it is there.

While waiting on the Kimber to be buttoned up I did get a CZ 2075 RAMI. It is considerably bulkier but a damn fine weapon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back to the range

Had a Sig .380 and it never hiccupped or failed for 200 rounds. I gave that nice pistol away, and last fall I got a Kimber Micro.
I didn't even make it through the second magazine: FTE, FTF, failue to go into battery, and then it would not fire when I pulled the trigger.
I tried everything including different ammo, magazine, etc.

I sent it in and they replaced the extractor and spring, and I haven't had it back yet to the range. We'll see.
Finally got to the range with the Micro; the trigger wasn't nearly as smooth, and it did fail to fire a few times. This came after replacing the empty magazine with a full one, and using the mag release button to place into battery.
My accuracy was still good...but I'm going to call Kimber again and ask what gives.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had a Micro .380 for about one year. I did have some feeding issues in the beginning but over the first 100 rounds or so the failures stopped. I have since put in an additional 420 rounds, mostly Speer Lawman, and have had no issues. I did own a P938 (9mm) but the gun did not fit my hand right. I will assume a P238 might be the same but not sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
... any of the Colt Government .380 clones are NOT combat weapons. The original Colt .380 was I believe issued to officers who were NOT in combat situations. These guns are NOT designed for HEAVY range use either (more frequent cleanings and less spring lifespan) Any of them can be tuned to run fine and do what they're intended to do, conceal well and if need be, bail your a$$ out of a bind in an unlikely emergency. In other words, If there is a LIKELY probability that you will need to defend yourself with a firearm you should look at a 1911 with a 4+ inch barrel or better yet a more MODERN striker design. If you continue your research "google up" "problems with (insert the small pistol of your choice)". You'll find the SAME problems occur with all of the "little beauties"
... for what it's worth any issues I've had with my Micro have happened after firing several magazines, if she's clean there's never been a problem running the first mags. Any problems I did have seem to have vanished with break in and a "spa day" in Yonkers :)
... again, although I'm happy with my Micro, if wanted to run 500 rounds at the range or needed a weapon for a "high risk" situation, I'd bring something else. Just my opinion :)
Hope that helps Fish
Nice!! Well said and that's the truth!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Sig FMJ worked the best.

I bought my wife a Kimber Micro Carry many months ago...it had a few burps to start out with. It didn't like certain types of ammo to start out with. We used the American Eagle brand and she qualified with it, no problems with 50 rounds through it. She was starting to have her doubts with it to start out with..we keep it well oiled etc. We went to an indoor range last Friday and she fired it, no problems whatsoever. This Kimber is the first auto she has a fired...I kept watching her a few months ago and told her to not ride the slide, pull it back and let it go. Hope everything works out with yours...Hey, welcome to the Forum from almost the Middle of TN.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the wife and I chose sig p938's. with the small micro pistols they all seem to have problems. we sent ours out and had the feedramps polished and they both have the new updated msh. 0 problems

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
Shoot the heaviest weight (95 - 100 gr.) round nose ammo you can find and you should be good to go.

Reactions: Mini Me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guess I'll have to give up my Micro

Let me say up-front: I've fired and used semi-autos since 1970. Both in training in the Army and recreational when I retired. .45, .40, .38 super, .380, 9mm, .32, .22. I have never had a limp-wrist issue, that I know of. I keep scrupulous records of every round fired in every pistol by date, type of ammo, brand of ammo, and type of malfunction if any.
Bottom line: I purchased my Micro new. I have never had such a high malfunction rate as I have had with my Micro. It is far and away higher (at 11%) than the next highest malfunction rate (another Kimber, my Ultra II .45 at 3%). The other .380s are a S&W Bodyguard at 1%, and a Ruger LCP-CT at 0.4%.
The predominant malfunction is failure to feed. That is, the slide does not fully return to battery. It strips the round from the mag (all three mags) and feeds the round partially into the chamber. Smacking the rear of the slide often solves the problem. Other times the stop does not appear to be engaged, but apparently is so, and I actually have to pull the slide partially or fully to the rear. Sometimes the next round is jammed vertically, nose-up, with the bullet between the face of the slide and the ramp, with the tail still in the mag. And thus we embark, gentle readers, with our kabuki dance of drop the mag, rack the slide, insert a mag, rack the slide, and shoot. And then it jams. Again.
I've cleaned and cleaned and lubed light and lubed heavy. I replaced the recoil spring. I've used a magnifying glass to check for uneven wear. I've inspected the mags. All to no avail. I paid careful attention to my grip and wrists--Superman could not break my grip! Finally, I returned the Micro to Kimber (no problems in the return process. Very smooth). Kimber polished the barrel, replaced the recoil spring (again), replaced the slide stop and spring, and adjusted the extractor. Using my three mags, they then fired two mags of American Eagle FMJ and one mag of JHP without problems (they implied).
Today I returned to the range, feeling delighted that I had found closure, looking forward to enjoying my Micro-experience, and fired 50 expensive rds of American Eagle, of which I had 5 malfunctions, spread across all 3 mags. I then fired 25 expensive JHP rounds, of which I had 4 malfunction, spread across all 3 mags.
I really, really, really want to like this pistol. You know, I like everything about this Micro, except one--it's maddeningly undependable, compared to my other small .380s, even after "a day at the spa." 974 rounds of .380 is expensive. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result. Hate to do it, but looks like I'll take it to Gander Mountain and sell it back to them. Too bad.
Guess I'll just stay with my little Ruger LCP, which does not have a manual safety, does not look like a baby 1911.......but it goes bang every single time but once (one failure to eject in 253 rounds, during the first box of ammo).

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois GoldFalcon06.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Goldfalcon, welcome to the forum and great, informative first post. Sorry to hear about your frustrating problem with your Micro. Best wishes on an eventual resolution or a quick sale. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Preload your Mags for several days...fire her wet.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.