Kimber Talk Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it really that bad (Micro 380 Owners Please)

61K views 137 replies 49 participants last post by  Chuck43 
#1 ·
Greetings! I'm pursuing either a Kimber 380 micro or a Sig P238. for inside the pants pocket carry. I won't bore ya'll with why these two are the only finalists. After all, since I'm asking for owner comments ya'll have made similar decisions, right?

I'm interested in the Kimber for only two reason that the Sig doesn't address; I prefer the looks of the polished slide & aluminum frame w/Rosewood grips, and the Kimber is lighter. But that interest is offset with a seeming mountain of reasons to run from Kimber. Micro owners, I seek your comments:

1) I only know one person w/a Kimber 1911. We call it the "Jam-o-Matic". (just saying)

2) I'm not sure I want to spend money w/Leslie Edelman. (Guess not much to comment on)

3) While the internet is awash in complaints by its nature, the amount of negative customer experiences w/the micro seem to be overwhelming. (I'm asking Micro owners for their out of the box experience.)

4)Recoil springs appear to last just slightly longer than a banana's shelf life. (How many of you are using the P238 spring? Does that get you 800+ rounds with total confidence?)

5) What's this about "my Micro doesn't feed XYZ ammo"?? My azz. I know Glock and Smith have spoiled me, but this isn't gonna be a safe queen, and I don't want to own a gun that has a princess complex. (Can one be made to run any reasonable choice of ammo with 99.9% reliability?)

6) I require a green Crimson Trace grip active laser that mounts in front of the trigger. This is due shortly for the Sig. (Anybody know if the Sig trigger mount laser fits the Micro? Its been shipping in red for years. CT seems to not know.)

7) The anti-Kimber sentiment about Kimber of today, from gun quality (so not just the Micro) to customer service is almost visceral. They appear to have been a quality gun once, now maybe not (I'm asking Micro owners for their customer service experience, and their confidence that after being worked on once by the "custom" shop it became a combat class weapon. Combat being any new ammo, any time, any conditions, 99.9% of the time.)

My apologies for the negative sounding email, I can only say I'm attempting to give the Micro a break that research suggests it's not due.

My thanks!

Fish

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Fish, being a Sig P238 owner and not a Micro Carry I'll step aside and let the Micro Carry boys chime in.

FYI, I bought my Sig P238 a year before Kimber thought of bringing out the Micro Carry.

Reactions: Oklahomabound
#3 · (Edited)
We have a Micro Carry here...love it. They are like anything else, just need a little care. My wife qualified with hers recently using American Eagle, FMJ. They need a good break in...oil down and let her go. I shot it last week using various types of 380, no problems what so ever. I have a M and P Bodyguard 380 which I love also...it eats everything. Almost forgot, welcome to the forum...

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum from Ohio Fish. I don't own either of the handguns you are inquiring about, but I am a Kimber owner. I think you'll get a more honest opinion of Kimber and their customer service here then you will elsewhere. The majority if not all of our members actually own Kimbers rather then just repeating what others say trying to appear knowledgeable. Good luck in your search.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum. The wife and I each have P238s. Her EDC is the Rainbow flavor and mine is the Nitron. Both have been perfect since day one as has been my P938. I got her a Micro Belair for Christmas and we took it to the range last week and it ran great. Only about 50 rounds though. Going out tomorrow for another 50 or so depending on the weather.
As for the laser guard: if you have one for the Sig it will not fit the Micro. Close but I didn't dare to force it. My advice is forget the 238 and spring for the 938, it's only a tiny bit bigger but twice the horse power.

#25 ·
As for the laser guard: if you have one for the Sig it will not fit the Micro. Close but I didn't dare to force it. My advice is forget the 238 and spring for the 938, it's only a tiny bit bigger but twice the horse power.
And that's the end of that. The laser is a must have. Thank you sir, that was a critical question.

All:
I get they look like toys and I'll look like a punk. But:

1) The sight plane on these things is tiny.
2) This won't be a toy or safe queen. If I ever draw in public it's a mortal event.
3) Hitting CNS matters for any caliber, and not hitting a bystander with the missed rounds you have to assume will happen has to be considered. The laser won't be a crutch, but anything that confirms my ballistic path is a step in the right direction.
4) Anything, and I mean anything I can do to keep from pulling the trigger might help. The time between my drawing and firing will probably be low, but if the circumstance allows a warning maybe a laser will help. And if I can live my life without having pulled that trigger I'd prefer it.

My thanks again,
Fish

#8 ·
My wife and I each own Kimber micros. Both have worked great out of the box but you cannot limp wrist them. I read all the negative reviews before purchasing too but also realized there are just as many positive reviews out there. I try to keep in mind most people go to the net just to complain. Not many go to praise.

#9 ·
I've had two Micros. Love the customer service. I'd go with the Sig, preferably the 938. That said, I do see another Kimber in my future. But going with the Micro gives you a reason to be part of this excellent group so that's something else to consider :)

#10 · (Edited)
... stick with your glock

... any of the Colt Government .380 clones are NOT combat weapons. The original Colt .380 was I believe issued to officers who were NOT in combat situations. These guns are NOT designed for HEAVY range use either (more frequent cleanings and less spring lifespan) Any of them can be tuned to run fine and do what they're intended to do, conceal well and if need be, bail your a$$ out of a bind in an unlikely emergency. In other words, If there is a LIKELY probability that you will need to defend yourself with a firearm you should look at a 1911 with a 4+ inch barrel or better yet a more MODERN striker design. If you continue your research "google up" "problems with (insert the small pistol of your choice)". You'll find the SAME problems occur with all of the "little beauties"
... for what it's worth any issues I've had with my Micro have happened after firing several magazines, if she's clean there's never been a problem running the first mags. Any problems I did have seem to have vanished with break in and a "spa day" in Yonkers :)
... again, although I'm happy with my Micro, if wanted to run 500 rounds at the range or needed a weapon for a "high risk" situation, I'd bring something else. Just my opinion :)
Hope that helps Fish

#12 · (Edited)
... any of the Colt Government clones are NOT combat weapons. The original Colt was I believe issued to officers who were NOT in combat situations. These guns are NOT designed for heavy range use either. Any of them can be tuned to run fine and do what they're intended to do, conceal well and if need be, bail your a$$ out of a bind in an unlikely emergency. In other words, If there is a LIKELY probability that you will need to defend yourself with a firearm you should look at a 1911 with a 4+ inch barrel or better yet a more MODERN striker design. If you continue your research "google up" "problems with (insert the small pistol of your choice)". You'll find the SAME problems occur with all of the "little beauties"
... for what it's worth any issues I've had with my Micro have happened after firing several magazines, if she's clean there's never been a problem running the first mags. Any problems I did have seem to have vanished with break in and a "spa day" in Yonkers :)
... again, although I'm happy with my Micro, if wanted to run 500 rounds at the range or needed a weapon for a "high risk" situation, I'd bring something else.
Hope that helps Fish
1911's not combat weapons?? Tell that to thousands of vetrans that defended themselvs with one. Sargent York in WWI comes to mind. I know a guy who was a tunnel rat in Viet Nam who's only weapon a lot of times was a Colt 1911. Read any of Col. Jeff Coopers books... Not meant for range use?? Come to the National matches here at Camp Perry. Guess what the handgun of choice is for most matches....yep the 1911. Watch any IDPA, USPSA, match and see how many Colt clones there are."Modern striker fired"....not even going to go there. I believe you need to do some more studying of our favorite firearm platform.

#11 · (Edited)
I have a Micro Raptor - new since early January 2016... ran 500+ with NO hangups... the ammo was the ball target rounds from Winchester.
Sorry i cannot expand on your other questions.
I can say this, my co-worker also bought a micro and she had to send it back to Kimber, the hammer was dropping, without squeezing the trigger! Can you say AUTOFIRE MODE!

But to quality and reliability, i am currently looking to get another Kimber, say the Ultra Carry 45 with slim grips or the Micro-9.
I just love how my micro fires... just amazing!

Now that being said, similar to what cousinmark stated in the end, if i had a high-risk issue, i would pick my Glocks, just because they can be cleaned in a dishwasher (time and time again) and still fire.

#14 ·
Howdy from Texas! I own 5 Kimbers and that aint near enough. I also have a decent collection of other Brands. I own a Micro Stainless Raptor and would grab it to protect my life as a back up gun and or a light Texas summer carry. 95 grain and up ball or jhp's never a problem. But, l know how to grip it. Your friend with the jamomatic most probably doesn't know how to clean lube or grip a 1911. One does not grip a 1911 like a revolver. It took me a while to learn this. Grip a Micro as if it were a 1911. I like Sigs too. Buyem all and enjoy.

#15 · (Edited)
Op, I am not sure that I can add to what has been said above. Sig makes a great gun. I have my eye on the P938 but am waiting to see how the upcoming Kimber Micro 9 mm performs. I am not in a hurry.

I have a Kimber Micro and absolutely love it. I have experienced a few FTFs as I experiment with all types of ammo. But that does not concern me. The Micro is as well built as the excellent P238 and Colt Mustang...but I think the micro looks better. Hold them all and I bet you will also favor the Micro. Oh, and if you go to Sigtalk you will hear plenty of posts concerning problems with the P238s, just as with the Micro. Don't let the few problems scare you away.

My best defensive hand gun is an HK P30S 9mm that I absolutely adore. It's built rock solid and works all day without a hiccup. :D

Best wishes on your decision. From what you are looking at, you can't go wrong.

#17 ·
I have a Miro Carry. Out of the box I was disappointed. Huge failure to return to battery issue. When it came back from Kimber it was 100%. I have heard a few others with the same issue and those also seemed to be resolved. The accuracy is amazing due to the almost non existent recoil. I have been shooting Blazer Brass, American Eagle (FMJ's) and Remington Golden Saber JHP. No issues. Great weight, concealment, reliability, and accuracy and after 1 year about 600 rounds I don't have a complaint. As someone mentioned before she wants to be clean and wet. Had a laser on my Solo didn't care for it all that much.

#20 · (Edited)
Ours was one of those that has return to battery problems. Kimber was supposed to send us a new spring but that was a month ago and nothing yet.
Just waiting for time and weather to let us get back on the range to get more rounds through it ( have 100 through it so far ) to see if it will work it's self out.
These new Kimber Micro's seem to be a little like the Solo was when it first came out. Give it a little time and maybe a trip back to Kimber, and like the Solo's it will eventually work as it should.
It appears to be a work in progress, but progress it will.

#18 ·
I am also a SIG P238 owner. I don't think that little pistol knows how to self-create a stoppage. As I have stated, several shooters fired sooty hardball through the pistol to such an extent that hand-cycling was glitchy. It still fired every shot.

When it comes to the design, the smaller Colts, this Sig, and the Micro are kissing cousins. Many of the parts and some of the magazines exchange. When I upgraded to the SIG hi-cap versions, I sent my stock factory magazines to a member here with a Micro. He relates that they functioned perfectly in his wife's Kimber.

I have come to believe that when it comes to this trio of clones they are all good, serviceable examples. Like any automatic, keep it clean, change out recoil springs as required, make sure your extractor is at the right tension and be careful not to ding up magazine feed lips.

#19 ·
My wife has a Micro Carry STS. She is working on her grip so it will be as reliable for her as it is for me. Could not be happier with Kimber Customer Service. They are very responsive and want satisfied customers. We sent hers in and they replaced the slide stop and the recoil spring. From end to end it only took 2 1/2 weeks.

#22 · (Edited)
Man, this editor and I don't get along...

Hello all and thank you for the kind welcome. I won't bore you with the spreadsheet compiling your responses, but a few things jump out.

1) Roughly 30% of you have had service issues.
2) None of you regret it.
3) 22% own the P238 instead, with one having owned both and suggesting the P238.
4) Of those commenting on ammo, 25% suggest ammo sensitivity.

Still an awful small sampling, and the nature of the forum suggests I will get hear only from satisfied Kimber owners. Still, it's better news than I thought.

Aren't I right in saying Kimber warranty is only 1 year and is non-transferable? Does that by and large mean I'll lose about $200 if I hate it and need to dump it?

#23 ·
9MM = More HP. Yes. I'm a happy 9mm Shield owner for times that format works. I may someday downshift from the Shield, but the 938/solo market has issues too. Meanwhile I shoot the Shield pretty well and trust it to the 99.9% level. And pocket carry emphasizes size, so... Thanks though! -fish

#24 ·
"Bring something else for high risk.."

Yep. And if I'm knowingly going into truly high risk it won't be a handgun in any event. Still, any gun is better than no gun, and my professional dress implies a lot of carry limitation. If I have time to be selective about it the G20 is usually in the car.

Correction: Any gun that I KNOW will work when I need it to is better than..... And hence this discussion.

Dirty guns: Yes, I've a Mark III I shoot for the heck of it and teach others to shoot with. Having learned on Glocks I was truly surprised to learn 500 rounds would make a gun misbehave. Seems so, and if a Micro can shoot 200 rounds stone reliably at a time I'll be fine. I doubt I'll shoot it more than 50 rounds at a time anyway.

#26 ·
OP, read the comments and issues in the following thread.

http://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kimber-micro-carry-forum/5215-strange-performance.html

Maybe not all Micro's have issues, I can tell you from person and documented experience, 2 out of 3 Micro Carry Advocates my dad and I purchased at Christmas were sent back to Yonkerland. I've been told this is very abnormal and considered less than 1%.

No one at the executive level cares about customer satisfaction, they are only focused on market share and revenue. Feedback channels are ignored while revenue and total gun sales provide customer satisfaction scores.

#28 ·
I have both a P238 and a Micro DC (LG). I have only had the Sig a short time and just got the Kimber yesterday. I have shot the Sig at the range and put about 30-40 rounds through it with no failures of any kind. It shoots very accurately (better than my capability at the moment). I have not yet shot the Kimber. A few observations from dry shooting the two. The P238 feels slightly heavier but the slide action feels slightly lighter and easier. Also, the trigger pull on the P238 feels slightly lighter. The front illuminated sight is larger and easier to acquire on the P238 in low light but in very low light both seem about the same. I purchased the Kimber for the laser grips and the more rounded slide. The slide appears to be more narrow and it slides out of the pocket holster more easily. The laser is easy to activate if one handed shooting but with two handed shooting it is hard to find a grip that turns on the laser (my hands are a size large) as I can't close my grip properly and place a finger on the trigger with the pad of my finger without loosening my grip where it needs to stay tight on the switch. Maybe some of you with more experience could give me some pointers on how you have mastered two handed with the laser grip. I hope to go shoot it tomorrow or Monday and can then better report on differences when actually firing ammunition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.