Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been going on for a few months now. I have 7 round mags and when I load 7 rounds in, after the first shot the next round nose dives and gets stuck on the feedramp. It has only happened with round nose ammo. I haven’t tried flat nosed (the flat nosed stuff I have is a higher grain that I don’t enjoy shooting through the micro 9.

Has anyone had this issue? I ask because I happened to catch a YouTube video of another person mentioned that it was happening to them as well.

I believe that if I load 6 rounds in, it’s fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
First step would be to clean up the feed ramp. But step zero is, did you disassemble the gun, clean THOROUGHLY, then oil liberally before putting back together? If not, start there. If you did clean/oil, then polish the feed ramp. You can either find a 3/8" polishing tool for a dremel, or you can actually use a q-tip, chuck it in the dremel and use polishing compound. Just don't try to crank it up to 20K RPM. Q-tip won't take that. :)

Just make sure it is thoroughly cleaned of all the gunk Kimber uses to prevent any type of rust/corrosion. Slide, barrel, slide spring / rod. Etc.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I’d suggest cleaning well and oiling too. I had that problem when mine was new ( after just a normal cleaning), and it disappeared after scrubbing off the hidden crud that is discussed in the other new Micro 9 issue thread.

Also, oil it up and rack the slide 100 times while watching TV, then shoot 124 or 147 round nose for the first hundred rounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not exactly the same problem--but similar. When I load 1 round in the chamber and 7 in the mag. [7+1], then fire the round in the chamber, the next round would nosedive. Not always, but I would guess 15-20% of the time. I called Kimber Customer Service and the lady I spoke to said that was normal and to be expected because the Micro 9 is made to such close tolerance and that it should be used only as 7 rounds. So, I am living with it that way and it does function 100% as 7 rounds only. I am not sure I totally buy what she told me. I own dozens of semi-auto hand guns and this is the only one to not function 100% as a +1. However, I do not find anywhere that Kimber is advertising the Micro 9 as 7+1 [or +1 with the 6 and 8 round mags].

My rant being over, I too suggest cleaning, polishing the ramp, and doing some break-in. If the problem continues then send back to Kimber. Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First step would be to clean up the feed ramp. But step zero is, did you disassemble the gun, clean THOROUGHLY, then oil liberally before putting back together? If not, start there. If you did clean/oil, then polish the feed ramp. You can either find a 3/8" polishing tool for a dremel, or you can actually use a q-tip, chuck it in the dremel and use polishing compound. Just don't try to crank it up to 20K RPM. Q-tip won't take that. :)

Just make sure it is thoroughly cleaned of all the gunk Kimber uses to prevent any type of rust/corrosion. Slide, barrel, slide spring / rod. Etc.
I've taken the gun apart numerous times at this point. I've cleaned and lubricated multiple times. When I first got the gun I bought 147 and put it through I started to have the issues with the magazine coming out of the mag well.

It odd I almost feel like it's something with the spring tension in the magazine that makes the round face down and get stuck. Maybe if there was an extended feed lip I could install it would rectify it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not exactly the same problem--but similar. When I load 1 round in the chamber and 7 in the mag. [7+1], then fire the round in the chamber, the next round would nosedive. Not always, but I would guess 15-20% of the time. I called Kimber Customer Service and the lady I spoke to said that was normal and to be expected because the Micro 9 is made to such close tolerance and that it should be used only as 7 rounds. So, I am living with it that way and it does function 100% as 7 rounds only. I am not sure I totally buy what she told me. I own dozens of semi-auto hand guns and this is the only one to not function 100% as a +1. However, I do not find anywhere that Kimber is advertising the Micro 9 as 7+1 [or +1 with the 6 and 8 round mags].

My rant being over, I too suggest cleaning, polishing the ramp, and doing some break-in. If the problem continues then send back to Kimber. Please let us know how it turns out.
Yeah that's sounds like BS. Don't advertise the gun as a 7 + 1 gun then.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Amazing what you can find over the internet or via a CS phone call. And you KNOW all of it is accurate. :)

I ALWAYS carry my micro-9 in 7+1 mode, and it works flawlessly. At the range I usually just fire in 7 round groups since loading the chamber, removing the magazine, inserting one round, then re-seating complicates the firing process. In any case, there is NO difference between carrying 7+1, or just 7 with empty chamber (unless you have some sort of extractor timing issue). Except that with empty chamber you are extra seconds away from being ready to fire/return-fire.

The first day out with mine I fired all sorts of ammo, from 110jhp through 147 (or so) JHP, plus round-nose FMJ, reloads of various weights and bullets, etc. I wanted to throw every curve possible at the gun to see if it would function. It never failed on any of that. I have decided on the 124g Federal HST round that many like, but I also tried the micro version (147g I think) plus Hornady CD and others.

Only difference I found between round types was point of impact. with some lower/higher than others. I found I could adjust the firmness of my grip and eliminate much of that. Only complaint I had with the gun was that the built-in laser grip was pretty useless in daylight. Not that I would use it there but I just played with it at home and adjusted it so that it directly hits point of aim through the iron sights. Part of this probably aggravated with my transition lenses on my glasses as these are a new material that gets really dark, really quick, and even gets to about ½ darkness inside my truck where my previous glasses would not darken at all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually run a Sig P290 8-round mag in my Micro 9 for 8+1 without issue.
I use Win 147gr JHP.

It sounds to me like your mag may not be seating quite high enough (it doesn't take much).
I wonder if there is anything Icould do to make it seat higher? Again, I wonder if they made a barrel with a lower feed ramp would it rectify it.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
first thing i did to my new stainless micro 9 was polish all the contact moving surfaces..slides. bottom of slide where bullets and hammer will ride on..barrel ramp..chamber..spring rod..outside of barrel....ate everything i fed it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was able to get to the range today, I tried shooting some aluminum ammo through it and it started off great, no issues. Then on the 3rd or 4th mag I had the same issue. I actually found that once I got the magazine out, the round that failed to load had a nice dent in the bullet from getting stuck on the feed ramp. It's not the best picture but I did load it manually into the chamber and it fired fine.

I shot 1 mag of hornady critical defense rounds and had no issues with it as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So this has been going on for a few months now. I have 7 round mags and when I load 7 rounds in, after the first shot the next round nose dives and gets stuck on the feedramp. It has only happened with round nose ammo. I haven't tried flat nosed (the flat nosed stuff I have is a higher grain that I don't enjoy shooting through the micro 9.

Has anyone had this issue? I ask because I happened to catch a YouTube video of another person mentioned that it was happening to them as well.

I believe that if I load 6 rounds in, it's fine.
I had the same problem with my micro 9. I upgraded the recoil spring from factory 16# to 22# Galloway Precision off eBay. No more failure to feed 2nd round. Also, the JHP bullets were not deformed when "pushed through" the previous feed ramp stall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No offense to the other posters who are all trying to help... but...
1) I would NOT use a heavier recoil spring. This is an aluminum frame. A weak or overly strong spring could result in a cracked frame.
2) I would get a rounded ceramic micro file and smooth any burrs in the feed ramp. Then get some metal polish, like Mother's, and either by hand or with a Dremel, polish it.
3) I would disassemble and lubricate your magazines to ensure smooth operation.
4) I would NOT lubricate the feed ramp. I completely disassemble my guns and clean them after every use. I take nearly everything apart and clean it thoroughly with pointy cotton swabs and blow it out with compressed air. If I lubricate the feed ramp, guaranteed within the first 3 shots I'll get a stove pipe. If I don't, I'll put 300-400 rounds through it without a single failure with Federal American Eagle 147 or 124 grain.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
…... If I lubricate the feed ramp, guaranteed within the first 3 shots I'll get a stove pipe....
OK … I get you have an issue caused by something but this doesn't make much sense to me. A stove pipe jam really has nothing to do with feed ramps or magazines … a stove pipe happens AFTER the round is fired. I think you need to reexamine the cause and effect.

This topic has been hashed out many times here at KT and the consensuses is usually pretty much the same … stove pipes are caused by letting the frame catch up with the slide during recoil or "limp wristing" ... causing the slide to snap shut on the FIRED case before it can escape the gun. We all have done it and we'll all do it again ... your hands get tired, a loss of concentration or just a lazy shot. But I don't think polishing anything or changing mags is going to have any effect on stove pipes.

Can-O-Worms officially opened ... :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're correct PaulWVa. My apologies... I should have been more precise. The next cartridge (with projectile) stove-pipes. It will actually slips up the ramp and gets stuck pointing straight up, perpendicular to the barrel.
If this happened continually, I would say the slide is over-sprung or magazine is under-sprung which leads to the slide outrunning the magazine. But that's not the case. It ONLY happens when I lube the feed ramp.
And... I don't actually have wrists! :)
My popeye arms transition directly into my meaty paws.
I never get true stove-pipes without a projectile. I just get a cartridge shoot straight up if the ramp has lube on it. Wipe the lube and I'll go the entire day without a single mishap. Unless my slide falls off or magazine pops out or guide rod snaps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same problem. I sent it in. It doesn't seem to fail-to-feed, unless I rack the slide too gently while chambering the first round. During fire cycling it doesn't seem to fail though.

It makes me wonder if the nose of the bullet doesn't still get dinged, but just not severely enough to jam.

I don't think polishing the ramp will do much since the nose of the bullet hangs up on the very bottom edge of the ramp. This only seems to happen with the first round or two of a full magazine. After that the bullets quit nose-diving.

What causes the nose-dive? Why is there a big gap between the first two cartridges of a full mag?

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
I am thinking a lot of the failure to feeds that hit the ramp are because the slide and barrel either did not go back all the way or the barrel is getting drug forward to soon.....the bullets are hitting the ramp when it is in up position...I avoided this issue by polishing everything first thing...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts