Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
39,134 Posts
I had the same problem. I sent it in. It doesn't seem to fail-to-feed, unless I rack the slide too gently while chambering the first round. During fire cycling it doesn't seem to fail though.

It makes me wonder if the nose of the bullet doesn't still get dinged, but just not severely enough to jam.

I don't think polishing the ramp will do much since the nose of the bullet hangs up on the very bottom edge of the ramp. This only seems to happen with the first round or two of a full magazine. After that the bullets quit nose-diving.

What causes the nose-dive? Why is there a big gap between the first two cartridges of a full mag?
Welcome to the forum Black Jaque Janaviac, the proper way to chamber the first round is to slingshot the slide. Insert the magazine the grasp the slide, pull it back and let go. Don't use the slide stop, and don't pull back and ride the slide until it closes. Pull back and let it go.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am thinking a lot of the failure to feeds that hit the ramp are because the slide and barrel either did not go back all the way or the barrel is getting drug forward to soon.....the bullets are hitting the ramp when it is in up position...I avoided this issue by polishing everything first thing...
Ah. I see. Next time I have a look-see I'll check if that is what could be going on. So the friction between barrel and slide could be throwing the timing off? Polishing the barrel prevents this?

As I noted, I sent it back and this was only one of the problems. The main problem was the front sight was too high and point of impact was about 8" high. They put on a new sight. They did not write back anything about whether they even addressed the feed issue. It could be that the feed problems took care of themselves as the gun broke in. You can see on the barrel where it is taking on a sort of "jeweled" look as it breaks in.

Thanks for the tips on racking the slide. I didn't know you weren't supposed to just trip the slide release. Incidentally whenever I chambered a round by tripping the slide release the gun feeds nicely, so I just thought that is how it is supposed to be done. I'll just have to get good at racking the slide by hand, without causing the jams that is.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not sure if you have this straightened out yet... it's been a little over two weeks since your last reply. I had the exact same issue, always on the 2nd or 3rd rnd fed from the Kimber 7rnd magazine. I think someone already mentioned the magazine as a possible culprit and/or maybe the mag spring tension. I had another magazine with me during my first outing and it was a Sig P938 7rnd magazine. This one worked flawlessly, the Kimber did the FTF and stuck right below the feedramp (nose down) about every 3rd or 4th magazine.

The spring tension in the Kimber was noticeably less than the Sig magazine. I've since called Kimber and they are sending a new magazine and I've ordered an additional P938 magazine. I also took the original Kimber magazine and stretched the spring a little to stiffen it. I'll get back out to the range this weekend and put another couple hundred rounds through it. First outing was 300 rounds, and aside from the nose down incidents (about 8 of them), the gun shot beautifully.

Someone mentioned lubricating the magazine. I was always under the impression this was not recommended. I always left mine dry. Further thoughts on that?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do NOT lube the mag. Clean it, yes. Increasing the tension on the spring may help. Also, using some needle nosed pliers, close the feed lips on the mag ever so slightly & try it again. May take a few times to get it right. Just don't over do it.

Had to do this on a fullsize 45 acp mag I got with my Raptor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wash thinking about this topic and spent some time examining the way the Micro 9 operates. The top two rounds in the magazine tend to nose-dive. And when one occasionally jams - I too find the nose of the bullet dented.

But I have some snap-caps that I regularly cycle through for dryfire practice. Although they sometimes jam (because I need to get better at racking the slide) none of the snap-caps have dents in the noses.

Then I noticed that under recoil the barrel travels backward perhaps an 1/8-inch before dropping down. Could this be what is causing the bullet's nose to get dimpled? The barrel coming back with such force under recoil causes the ramp edge to slam into the bullet nose.

Not sure how any polishing could prevent this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another concern popped into my mind:

If there is enough force being applied to the nose of an FMJ bullet to put a dimple like that - could that force also be enough to cause a bullet to seat deeper creating excessive pressures? Especially considering it is an auto cartridge with a taper crimp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Late to the show, but I agree Bob Hyatt, I too tried every kind of ammo I could find and mine has never missed a beat. Outside of a S&W 640, it’s the only carry pistol I trust for truly concealed carry(My Glock being to big).
It is light, reliable and fits in an inside the waist band pocket holster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi you all. Im new to kimber and just bought and tested my micro 9 today and had failures. My issue is in between rounds, the hammer goes back uncock position”no battery”. I forgot if its chambered or not but I did cock it and it fires again. It did fail 3 times exactly the same issue. Instead of battery on , tge hammer is uncock. Im using a fmj (herters) 115 gr. Is this caused by ammo? Any body can help me with this? Thank you

·
Registered
208 Posts
First thing to check is FIRM grip. You have to hold the frame stationary so that the slide can travel all the way rearward and cock the hammer. If you hold it limp-wristed, your wrist will absorb much of that recoil and the slide won't fully move to the rear and cock the thing. Big heavy 1911's don't seem to suffer from this as much (although I have seen some that will) since the frame is heavier, as is the slide, and the recoil spring is proportionally lighter.

But for a tiny gun, you need to "get a grip" on it so that it will function properly. It just doesn't have much mass at 16oz or so...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Yes it does make sense about the grip cause Im not use to this gun And I tend to relax after pulling the trigger. I will definately look into this when I get back to the range next weekend. Im glad I got an insight from you cause I dnt want to send this to kimber without trying something. thanks again

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
hi you all. Im new to kimber and just bought and tested my micro 9 today and had failures. My issue is in between rounds, the hammer goes back uncock position"no battery". I forgot if its chambered or not but I did cock it and it fires again. It did fail 3 times exactly the same issue. Instead of battery on , tge hammer is uncock. Im using a fmj (herters) 115 gr. Is this caused by ammo? Any body can help me with this? Thank you
...no offence Sniperdude. Just a few thoughts.
This pistol was cleaned thoroughly and lubed up nicely correct? Provided that is true go ahead and get some alternate ammo to try. Ideally 147gr FMJ for the next 3-400 rounds, the faithful around here advocate heavier stuff for break-in.
I'm way shy of being an expert but have found that there ARE variances in ammo. It can be the same brand and size but manufactured at a different time and it's a hair different? The chance that you have some slightly underpowered ammo is a possibility? For whatever reason some pistols prefer certain ammos???
JMO, keep us posted.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you are talking about mine, it is a Sig P290 mag modified to fit the Micro 9.
The baseplate is a highly modified Sig P290 baseplate. I finally settled on this configuration. I like the shape better than the 8-round Kimber (I did the mod before the 8-round Kimbers became available).

That bump on the front of the holster is the hammer thong knot. In the other photo, it has been retied to make it less visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Racking

Ah. I see. Next time I have a look-see I'll check if that is what could be going on. So the friction between barrel and slide could be throwing the timing off? Polishing the barrel prevents this?

As I noted, I sent it back and this was only one of the problems. The main problem was the front sight was too high and point of impact was about 8" high. They put on a new sight. They did not write back anything about whether they even addressed the feed issue. It could be that the feed problems took care of themselves as the gun broke in. You can see on the barrel where it is taking on a sort of "jeweled" look as it breaks in.

Thanks for the tips on racking the slide. I didn't know you weren't supposed to just trip the slide release. Incidentally whenever I chambered a round by tripping the slide release the gun feeds nicely, so I just thought that is how it is supposed to be done. I'll just have to get good at racking the slide by hand, without causing the jams that is.
Same annoying issue! So, do I understand that (1) after the last round is fired and the slide is locked back, (2) you should drop the clip, (3) release the slide lock, (4) insert the new clip and (5) fully rack the slide?

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
Same annoying issue! So, do I understand that (1) after the last round is fired and the slide is locked back, (2) you should drop the clip, (3) release the slide lock, (4) insert the new clip and (5) fully rack the slide?
NO.
1.Correct
2. Drop MAGAZINE! *
3.NO, not NEEDED...Skip***
4. Insert loaded MAGAZINE *
5. Slingshot slide
6. FIRE

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
If you are talking about mine, it is a Sig P290 mag modified to fit the Micro 9.
The baseplate is a highly modified Sig P290 baseplate. I finally settled on this configuration. I like the shape better than the 8-round Kimber (I did the mod before the 8-round Kimbers became available).

That bump on the front of the holster is the hammer thong knot. In the other photo, it has been retied to make it less visible.
I got to ask: You DON'T really use/EDC/conceal carry your pistol with that hammer "thong" thing on your pistol do you?? SMH?

I can't think of one single good reason to do so.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
Novice here...""Slingshot?" Nice 1, 2, 3 response. Really nice.
Oh, load full magazine, grab back of slide, pull back let it go like a "slingshot." Are you old enough to know and have had a slingshot as a kid? I'm guessing not.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts