Kimber Talk Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
DEVILDOG, you've nailed my situation. First-time Kimber owner and I feel kinda stuck with it because a Ruger SR1911 will cost several hundred more than what I'll be able to trade my Micro9 for.

JIMCUNN, outa curiosity, you say you've had the same problem as I am experiencing. Do you conduct the same test as I have described? Or do you just fix the failure-to-feed and don't bother to investigate further? I will concede that my gun functions just fine - I am not sure if it is safe to shoot though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem is in the magazines, not the guns. Both my Micro 9 and my Micro .380 had the nose diving problem (I run 8-round mags in both). The air gap seems to be normal for full single stack magazines. It is not limited to Kimber and doesn't really seem to be the issue.

For me, the resolution in both pistols has been to do three things to the magazines

1) slightly flex the front of the magazine feed lips inboard to minimise the upward rise of the case rim as it moves forward

2) remove one loop from the magazine spring to reduce the upward force when the magazine is full

3) slightly stretch the shortened spring so that adequate upward force remains when only one round is left in the magazine.

With these changes to each mag, I have come to trust the Micro 9 enough for carry and am rapidly developing trust in the Micro .380.

As an aside, I got 8+1 rounds in the Micro 9 by using modified Sig P290 8-round magazines, and 8+1 rounds in the Micro .380 by using a modified Sig P238 MagGuts kit in 7-round Kimber magazines. In the .380 I use Hornady 90gr XTP JHP ammo because it has a relatively narrow nose that is a good match for the narrow .380 feed ramp.
I finally got around to trying the above. My M9 with 7 round mag runs 100% feeding--unless I load 7 Plus 1. Then It sometimes hangs up the 2nd round on the feed ramp. Jim didn't say how much to narrow the feed lips. I took a wild guess and squeezed them together a small amount [.012 inch].

This may or may not be optimal, but seems to have cured my problem and I was able to feed 7+1 about 15 times with nary a hiccup. Unfortunately, the extractor hook then broke and it's on it's way back to Kimber. No, I don't load a round directly into the chamber and drop the slide on it. I always load from the mag and slingshot the slide.

When I get it back from Kimber I will test it some more and see if it keeps working 100% loaded 7+1. If so, I will then narrow my 8 round mag and see if it, too, will feed +1. Thank you Jim.

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
I am old school on this topic--and all other topics, to be honest.

I was taught that "90% of your stoppages are 'magazine related'..."

I have even returned a Tac-Mag that stuttered. I returned that one due to the cost and that I had it for less than 30 days.

Over the years if a magazine of modest cost failed me, it was simply bent and thrown away. No garbage thieves should get a bad magazine, either.

I'm not a 'brand name' guy--usually. But now that I am a full grown adult with a few bucks in my jeans, all my magazines are premium quality. It didn't start out that way, it's just that the junk got tossed after winnowing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1) Use only high quality brass ammo.
2) Use only Kimber magazines.
3) Call Kimber and let them address the issues if you can't figure it out.

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
@fblainen11, not to be made a liar out of your three suggestions, I slipped into the bedroom and checked all nine of my 'perfect premium magazines.' To my relief, eight of them were Wilson-Rogers or Tac-Mag.

The oddball was a beaten old blue magazine that had seen The Mexican War before I got it. I said to myself, "Myself, why did you keep this relic?"

Then I remembered, it was the magazine that came with my new Kimber...

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I have a new Micro9 that will not eject a spent round. I am using Remington 115 grain FMJ. Any suggestions ?
Sorry, but I have to ask, have you read the manual field stripped, cleaned and lubed it per the manual's instructions? Sometimes they ship with some pretty sticky factory lube that has gummed up while they're on store shelves.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The problem is in the magazines, not the guns. Both my Micro 9 and my Micro .380 had the nose diving problem (I run 8-round mags in both). The air gap seems to be normal for full single stack magazines. It is not limited to Kimber and doesn't really seem to be the issue.

For me, the resolution in both pistols has been to do three things to the magazines

1) slightly flex the front of the magazine feed lips inboard to minimise the upward rise of the case rim as it moves forward

2) remove one loop from the magazine spring to reduce the upward force when the magazine is full

3) slightly stretch the shortened spring so that adequate upward force remains when only one round is left in the magazine.

With these changes to each mag, I have come to trust the Micro 9 enough for carry and am rapidly developing trust in the Micro .380.

As an aside, I got 8+1 rounds in the Micro 9 by using modified Sig P290 8-round magazines, and 8+1 rounds in the Micro .380 by using a modified Sig P238 MagGuts kit in 7-round Kimber magazines. In the .380 I use Hornady 90gr XTP JHP ammo because it has a relatively narrow nose that is a good match for the narrow .380 feed ramp.
My Bersa Thunder 380 doesn't have any gap issues. I was wondering which end of the follower does the spring hook to. If it was to the front of the mag it might eliminate the tilt

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just joined the forum today, about 3 weeks ago I bought a Micro 9 STS and a spare Kimber 7 rd mag at Bass Pro. I brought it home loaded and fired 5 rds from each Mag. The original mag was very hard to load I could not put more that 5 rounds in it! I never got more than a couple of rounds off with out a jam, in addition, the spare mag would drop out almost every shot. I brought it in, field stripped per manual, cleaned and lubed, and reassembled. Next day, I live in a rural area no problem shooting in back yard, I load both mags with 5 rds and shoot, same thing, just as bad. So I called Kimber and got a RAM and shipping instructions. I sent it in and in a few days got a return shipping notice, it arrived back home, with papers saying: extractor was adjusted, Magazine catch spring replaced, polished feed ramp chamber, firing pin housing, breech face. Also that it was tested with 4 mags of Federal prem. 147 gr JHP 9MM.
I loaded both mags, ( they are better to load, but still difficult, I'll try a mag loading aid) and fired another 5 rds from each I am happy to say not a single failure to feed or magazine drop out! I will do some more shooting with it in the next few days and report. Hopefully with good news.
I have had several other 9mm pistols for years, never any major problem,
Stevensc W.
Thibodaux, La

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just joined the forum today, about 3 weeks ago I bought a Micro 9 STS and a spare Kimber 7 rd mag at Bass Pro. I brought it home loaded and fired 5 rds from each Mag. The original mag was very hard to load I could not put more that 5 rounds in it! I never got more than a couple of rounds off with out a jam, in addition, the spare mag would drop out almost every shot. I brought it in, field stripped per manual, cleaned and lubed, and reassembled. Next day, I live in a rural area no problem shooting in back yard, I load both mags with 5 rds and shoot, same thing, just as bad. So I called Kimber and got a RAM and shipping instructions. I sent it in and in a few days got a return shipping notice, it arrived back home, with papers saying: extractor was adjusted, Magazine catch spring replaced, polished feed ramp chamber, firing pin housing, breech face. Also that it was tested with 4 mags of Federal prem. 147 gr JHP 9MM.
I loaded both mags, ( they are better to load, but still difficult, I'll try a mag loading aid) and fired another 5 rds from each I am happy to say not a single failure to feed or magazine drop out! I will do some more shooting with it in the next few days and report. Hopefully with good news.
I have had several other 9mm pistols for years, never any major problem,
Stevensc W.
Thibodaux, La

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just had my first issue with my Micro 9. Loaded magazine pulled back slide a nd let it go to load first shot. Pulled trigger and nothing. When looking at gun saw the recoil spring guide rad sticking out about an inch. Slide wouldn't move and hammer was in full cock. Had to lightly tap on end of rod with wood block til it was in all the way. Pulled trigger and gun went off and slide cycled but rod was once again sticking out about the same. Tapped on it again, shot and gun cycled properly the rest of magazine. Loaded another mag and dropped the slide release and once again the rod was sticking out about an inch. Tapped into place and fired the gun. The rest of that mag cycled ok with no failures. Stopped my session and went inside to take apart to see if I could figure anything out and upon tearing gun down found nothing out of the ordinary. This has me stumped. I cleaned gun and oiled it like I always do and put it away as I had no time to shoot anymore that day. Any ideas.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just had my first issue with my Micro 9. Loaded magazine pulled back slide a nd let it go to load first shot. Pulled trigger and nothing. When looking at gun saw the recoil spring guide rad sticking out about an inch. Slide wouldn't move and hammer was in full cock. Had to lightly tap on end of rod with wood block til it was in all the way. Pulled trigger and gun went off and slide cycled but rod was once again sticking out about the same. Tapped on it again, shot and gun cycled properly the rest of magazine. Loaded another mag and dropped the slide release and once again the rod was sticking out about an inch. Tapped into place and fired the gun. The rest of that mag cycled ok with no failures. Stopped my session and went inside to take apart to see if I could figure anything out and upon tearing gun down found nothing out of the ordinary. This has me stumped. I cleaned gun and oiled it like I always do and put it away as I had no time to shoot anymore that day. Any ideas.
I just diagnosed my problem. I was using reloads that had bullets seated so that they hit the lands in the barrel before rounds were fully in the chamber. It was causing the action not to close all the way. Corrected and test fired. No failure to feed and no hiccups at all. Also nice accuracy. 7 shots inside 3" at 45'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re my post #71 above I have fired another 20 or so rds. with some HPs mixed in, no problems cycling or magazine drop out.
I ain't saying no more! don't want to put a "hex" on it!
Steve W

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
I just diagnosed my problem. I was using reloads that had bullets seated so that they hit the lands in the barrel before rounds were fully in the chamber. It was causing the action not to close all the way. Corrected and test fired. No failure to feed and no hiccups at all. Also nice accuracy. 7 shots inside 3" at 45'.
Out of "factory" spec reloaded ammo has caused documented issues with Micro9's here in the past!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Out of "factory" spec reloaded ammo has caused documented issues with Micro9's here in the past!
This wasn't out of factory spec ammo. The oal was correct at 1.147". Max oal is 1.160" according to Lyman. Lee lists it at 1.150". The truncated cone shape of Hornady 124gr jhp is what caused the problems. The bullet was touching the lands before the cartridge was fully seated in the chamber. I failed to check them for that issue. That load would of worked in my Ruger Security 9. The chamber in this gun is on the low side of tolerance for length. No biggie as I corrected it in next batch and all worked well. There were no pressure issues with first loading as well as none in second. By the way I checked the Remington 115gr jhp and oal was 1.148". They have no issue. Only way I figured this out is by dropping a factory load into chamber and then one of the reloads and the reloads sat about .008" further out than factory stuff.

·
Registered
234 Posts
One thing I notice about new users of a small or micro 9mm is they have a habit of limp wristing the gun which causes the failure to eject or feed. Why would anyone limp wrist any handgun especially a self defense or hunting weapon? Don't they realize that even if it doesn't effect the operation of the gun, it takes longer to get sights back on target for a follow-up shot. In that time you could be dead, in a self defense situation or the game could be out of range, if hunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is like Kimber failed to allow for that gummy finish coating they apply to the frames. After it is worn away or I sand it off, the gun works fine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is like Kimber failed to allow for that gummy finish coating they apply to the frames. After it is worn away or I sand it off, the gun works fine.
Yep! I removed it wherever parts were meshing. Makes things run glass smooth.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts