Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped and said, "Dude, sorry about your rig. Got any plans for those beadlock Nikko's and the 37's?" He did not see the humor in it.

Tire Water Wheel Land vehicle Sky

Every summer, visiting "hold my beer" types and off-roaders who do not understand the principles of driving on deep, loose sand light their automatic transmissions on fire. There is no stopping it once it starts burning. Total loss. Every year, 4-5 of these. First time I've seen a Jeep burn up. Year over year, 8 out of 10 are a Ford SUV or a Nissan anything.

Fun fact: Some car insurance companies will not pay if you have damage or loss driving off road. You need to have a rider that covers that type of driving.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't you hate it when this happens? In this case, I noticed the remnants of the owner's luggage, kids toys, a small dog or cat crate, bags of groceries and two laptops were among the ashes.

Vehicle Water Car Sky Cloud

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you noticed, it looks like he did not air down those tires.

The same rule here about airing down. Some don't do it. Even when they do, when it's been hot and the sand is very dry it's like driving in a bowl of sugar. Not like out west in the hard-packed desert terrain or muddy trails. Fat tires can help but you have to deflate them. My beach bombers are a Gladiator with 37's. Never gets stuck. Also an FJ, which is an awesomely rugged offroad vehicle.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I lived on Long Island growing up. When you drove on the beach you had to really reduce the tire pressure by law. I guess he thought those big tires would be awesome in loose sand.
I lived on Long Island growing up lived in Belmore in very early 50’s. I remember when Sunrise Hwy was a dirt rd. I walked thru dairy farms to go to school. Late 50’s moved to the 5 towns.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Visited Montauk a few times when I lived on the Jersey Shore. My first offshore fishing experience. Caught a big bluefish and a fluke. Seems like yesterday but that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Visited Montauk a few times when I lived on the Jersey Shore. My first offshore fishing experience. Caught a big bluefish and a fluke. Seems like yesterday but that was a long time ago.
One of the guys I work with is fishing in Montauk this weekend.

I would ride my motorcycle out there, get to the lighthouse and ride back. Good times

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sand will really mess up your brakes and bearings…let the good times roll
Indeed it does. The salt air is even worse. Locals know better than to drive thru sea water, but tourists do it all the time. Even one time - and everything underneath is rusting the next day. It attacks aluminum and stainless too. I started leasing vehicles vs. buying when I transitioned to living at the shore full time. Two years and I say goodbye. Driving on the beach isn't a recreation for me. It's the only road.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesterday. I'm sure their detail shop back home can buff it out. No major injuries. Bumps and bruises only. But one very pissed-off wife.

In the Spring, a teenage kid rolled his Dad's brand new Land Rover Defender. They start at about 70 grand. Crushed the roof pretty bad. The rear gate came completely off. The Dad said to me, "Do you think it's totaled?" I said, "You better hope so."
Tire Sky Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
When I lived in the Socal desert, we used to see rich city boys from LA county trailer their $100k turbo LS powered custom sand rails out to Truck Haven, and promptly bury them in the sand or get them stranded in ravines and washes in an area the locals called "the notches".
They would be dumbfounded when they realized there was no way triple A could drive a tow truck out and rescue them.
A few desert rat locals with old 4x4s would make a pretty penny dragging them back to civilization.
One enterprising kid with a 4 wheeler would sell them $5 bottles of water while they waited.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It used to be like that here. Now there are 2-3 towing companies. I think the county leaned on the locals because they weren't getting the tax revenue, plus no insurance or business license. It costs $250 to get your vehicle unstuck, $350 to tow it to the nearest paved road. If the shiny side is down, then obviously they charge a lot more. :)

Reactions: wayne

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It used to be like that here. Now there are 2-3 towing companies. I think the county leaned on the locals because they weren't getting the tax revenue, plus no insurance or business license. It costs $250 to get your vehicle unstuck, $350 to tow it to the nearest paved road. If the shiny side is down, then obviously they charge a lot more. :)
Tow trucks can't get to the areas where they get stuck.
You need a heavily modified vehicle just to get to the notches, and a serious off road machine with a skilled driver to get to to the spots where the citiots get stuck. Then comes the fun part, where you actually recover the vehicles.

Tow companies don't have the equipment, skills or any desire to even attempt a recovery 4 miles deep into the badlands. They would get stuck too.
Juice ain't worth the squeeze to them.
They wait for the locals to drag them to a nearby dirt road, then they take over, and get their pound of flesh.
Everybody wins, except the citiots.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I looked at some photos. I see what you mean. Never been there. SoCal is one place I try to avoid. It's not the place it's the people. Hope I don't offend anybody but I hate LA and everything around it.

I used to vacation in Palm Springs 2-3 times a year to escape the gloomy weather in Seattle. Loved it there until all the losers from LA ruined Old Las Palmas. They arrive like a swarm of locusts every weekend to fill the dance clubs that have popped up all up and down the strip. The restaurants all went downhill. Coachella is a cluster-f too.

Reactions: Jflytle

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I looked at some photos. I see what you mean. Never been there. SoCal is one place I try to avoid. It's not the place it's the people. Hope I don't offend anybody but I hate LA and everything around it.

I used to vacation in Palm Springs 2-3 times a year to escape the gloomy weather in Seattle. Loved it there until all the losers from LA ruined Old Las Palmas. They arrive like a swarm of locusts every weekend to fill the dance clubs that have popped up all up and down the strip. The restaurants all went downhill. Coachella is a cluster-f too.

I agree, it sucks.

However, out in the desert, the only time people from the city come out there is a month in the fall, and a month in the spring for off road events.
It gets up to 120f in the summer.
The desert is unforgiving and doesn't suffer fools at all, like the ocean.
The locals out in the desert, hate the city folk.
I lived just outside Rancho Mirage for several years.
There is not enough gold in all of California to ever convince me to go back, even for a short visit.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn shame. California has so much natural beauty. Deserts, forests, mountains, coastline. Ruined by greedy corporations and a careless society for a century, feeding overpopulation. Paradise lost. From Crescent City to San Diego to Yosemite. The one thing Hippies got right. But then again, a broken watch is right twice a day.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
When I first moved to California, I lived in Redondo Beach, and had a store on Artesia Blvd.
None of the houses have Air Conditioning.
You don't need it. 78 tops in the summer and 65 lowest in the winter.
The weather is incredible.
That said, it's all urban sprawl.
Concrete and pavement for miles, every inch of it squeezed for profit.

You are spot on.
Paradise lost.
Lefthaven.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts