Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kimber website shows 2 versions of the 2-inch DASA: .357/.38 & .38 (only I'm assuming).

I could find no difference in specs between the two. I would expect at the least the cylinder dimensions to be different and a bit less weight with the .38 model.

However, when I called Kimber CS the two folks I spoke with were unable to explain the difference. Nice folks, and down in Alabama, so maybe they're new to Kimber since the move? I don't know.

Both revolvers also have different part numbers.

So, wondering if anyone on here has an idea if the 38 special model is truly only 38 special, and lighter? Really don't intend to shoot .357 out of a 2-inch gun. Thinking it should be like the Ruger LCR .38 special only - cylinder dimensions are different and it weighs less than the .357/.38 model.

Oh, and another data point on the 4" target model. I did see a post listing some issues with one. I bought the 4 inch GFO version a week ago and put 200 rounds through it. Ran perfect, sights were dead on, and the fit and finish are great. Yes .357 (a box of 50) was a bit of a handful with the combat grips, but was workable

It did still say Yonkers NY on it so guess not out of the new Alabama facility.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Kimber website shows 2 versions of the 2-inch DASA: .357/.38 & .38 (only I'm assuming).

I could find no difference in specs between the two. I would expect at the least the cylinder dimensions to be different and a bit less weight with the .38 model.

However, when I called Kimber CS the two folks I spoke with were unable to explain the difference. Nice folks, and down in Alabama, so maybe they're new to Kimber since the move? I don't know.

So, wondering if anyone on here has an idea if the 38 special model is truly only 38 special, and lighter? Really don't intend to shoot .357 out of a 2-inch gun. Thinking it should be like the Ruger LCR .38 special only - cylinder dimensions are different and it weighs less than the .357/.38 model.

Oh, and another data point on the 4" target model. I did see a post listing some issues with one. I bought the 4 inch GFO version a week ago and put 200 rounds through it. Ran perfect, sights were dead on, and the fit and finish are great. Yes .357 (a box of 50) was a bit of a handful with the combat grips, but was workable

I wouldn't shoot a box of .357 out of a snubbie.
Shoot a few .357 for funzies and switch .38 to save the wrist.
.357 is a hoot in a snubbie. Fireballs and thunderclaps!

I also would buy the .357 over the .38 even if I never intended to shoot .357.

Full disclosure: I have a much loved J frame SW 60-15 in .357

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't shoot a box of .357 out of a snubbie.
Shoot a few .357 for funzies and switch .38 to save the wrist.
.357 is a hoot in a snubbie. Fireballs and thunderclaps!

I also would buy the .357 over the .38 even if I never intended to shoot .357.

Full disclosure: I have a much loved J frame SW 60-15 in .357
I shot the box of .357 out of the 4-inch DASA, not a 2-inch. I'm looking at buying the 2-inch. Though I'm not recoil sensitive at all.
While I know some think one should buy the .357, I've been down this path before. It serves me no purpose as I will never shoot .357 out of it. I have other revolvers better suited. I'm also not concerned about bullets moving out from the case and jamming the gun by the time the cylinder rotates to the last round (specifically with +P ammo). Paul Harrell proved this to not be a concern as have others. I have also never found it an issue in the LCR .38 I have.

In my opinion, I'm only getting extra weight with the 357.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
???? Gotta shoot 357’s. I load up 5 rounds of potent 357 and hand it to my buddies in the little LCR. It’s great to see their faces when they had it back after 1 shot with the comment “Hell No””. Bring serious for a second get the 357 even if you don’t intend to shoot 357 in it. Anything in 357 is better built than the 38 models. 357’s are not that bad from a K6s 2” I shoot them all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
???? Gotta shoot 357’s. I load up 5 rounds of potent 357 and hand it to my buddies in the little LCR. It’s great to see their faces when they had it back after 1 shot with the comment “Hell No””. Bring serious for a second get the 357 even if you don’t intend to shoot 357 in it. Anything in 357 is better built than the 38 models. 357’s are not that bad from a K6s 2” I shoot them all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is really my question to start with. I'm trying to understand if the .38 special version is in fact much different but can't find an answer. I can shoot .357 from a 2-inch gun just fine, I just don't have a need to. I have plenty of guns that I can shoot .357 from. The frame for both models made be exactly the same, hence may not be "better built", but want to confirm. Difference may be in the cylinder only. Yes the LCR's have differences in the frame as well, but frankly my .38 special LCR is built just fine from my experience in comparison to the .357 LCR I also have. I have never heard of any instance of the .38 special LCR model suffering from any frame or cylinder failure as a result of not being as heavy as the .357. And, this model has been around a long time. So I don't see any need to buy an over built gun if I don't intend to shoot .357 from it. This Kimber 2-inch will be .38 special only.

So....question remains as to just what the differences are between the two. I'm not debating based on the caliber.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Unless it's considerably lighter, there isn't really any reason to buy the .38 over the .357.
There isn't really a difference in price.

I would call Kimber and ask about the weight.
I also have a very light SW M&P .38. 2 inch that is a hand full because of the light weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless it's considerably lighter, there isn't really any reason to buy the .38 over the .357.
There isn't really a difference in price.

I would call Kimber and ask about the weight.
I also have a very light SW M&P .38. 2 inch that is a hand full because of the light weight.
The online store that has both, the .38 is almost $100 more, but that may be timing on when the brought it in. Not really concerned about price. But yes, I agree, if the weight difference is negligible it makes no sense to buy the .38. But if that's the case, why would Kimber even bother? I wish I had the answer, but as I said in my original post, I did call Kimber and they were zero help in answering the questions. Spoke with 2 people. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but seemed like I was educating them more than the other way around. Very lovely people, just not informed.
You make a good point on less weight making even the .38 potentially more of a handful, but I'm willing to accept that for a gun that is lighter to carry (again if it's enough of a difference in weight). The LCR .38 special is very light (as is the 642 I have) and I have no issues shooting .38 +P out of either of them.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts

Color me surprised I had no idea any K6 was offered in .38spl only. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say I bought a K6 in .38spl only caliber! If you can believe the website, both .38spl and .357mag models are the same weight and width, making them the same except for product numbers being different. Website states both @ 23oz.
Even if you don't intend to fire .357 ammo, I would not purchase a .38spl ONLY K6, since it has a the same MSRP ($1,074) as the .357 version
I don't see an advantage to buying the 38 only model Kimber. I would buy a pre-lock Smith & Wesson in .38spl instead.
But you do you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Color me surprised I had no idea any K6 was offered in .38spl only. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say I bought a K6 in .38spl only caliber! If you can believe the website, both .38spl and .357mag models are the same weight and width, making them the same except for item numbers being different. Website states both @ 23oz.
Even if you don't intend to fire .357 ammo, I would not purchase a .38spl ONLY K6, since it has a the same MSRP ($1,074) as the .357 version
I don't see an advantage to buying the 38 only model Kimber. I would buy a pre-lock Smith & Wesson in .38spl instead.
But you do you.
My only reason would be for weight-savings for pocket carry, and 6-rounds vs. the 5-rounds in a S&W J-frame.
It's the same reason I bought the .38 only LCR and sold off the 357/38 version of the same gun.

Don'f feel bad...the 2 people I talked to at Kimber weren't familiar with it either! I may call Kimber back tomorrow and try to get to someone that can shed some light on it.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
My only reason would be for weight-savings for pocket carry, and 6-rounds vs. the 5-rounds in a S&W J-frame.
It's the same reason I bought the .38 only LCR and sold off the 357/38 version of the same gun.

Don'f feel bad...the 2 people I talked to at Kimber weren't familiar with it either! I may call Kimber back tomorrow and try to get to someone that can shed some light on it.
Well, I didn't know because I've really never been interested in the K6 however sounds like you reached the "entry level" of customer service. There are people that know the answer to your question you just have to get to the correct level of experience of customer service. Tell them your decision to purchase depends on "IF" there is a weight difference between .38 only K6 and .357 K6.
Website specs have been wrong before but if correct they both weigh 23oz?
If you can find one: Charter Arms makes a lightweight, 6 shot, revolver in .38spl. I paid $320 for mine but price has gone up some.
Charter Arms Police Undercover 38spl.jpg
Charter Arms Undercover Police 6 shot 38spl.jpg

Reactions: cousinmark

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if the barrel twist is different on th 38 sp only version.

The website also lists a 4.1" vs 3.5" sight radius on the 38 vs 357/38 (DASA 2")... along with some words being capitalized and some not.. probably a website editor mistake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if the barrel twist is different on th 38 sp only version.

The website also lists a 4.1" vs 3.5" sight radius on the 38 vs 357/38 (DASA 2")... along with some words being capitalized and some not.. probably a website editor mistake.
I called Kimber again. Was told that it's the same gun as the 357 but labeled 38 special for overseas sales that require it to say that. Not sure why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some countries don't allow scertain calibers. Also, some people in this country want their revolver chambered in the caliber that they shoot. They don't want the extra chambering getting carbon buildup. Also, Freedom Arms says not shoot the shorter cartridges out of the magnum cylinders. They don't say why. They want the owner to buy a second cylinder for the shorter cases. Several hundred USD.

Rick

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Some countries don't allow scertain calibers. Also, some people in this country want their revolver chambered in the caliber that they shoot. They don't want the extra chambering getting carbon buildup. Also, Freedom Arms says not shoot the shorter cartridges out of the magnum cylinders. They don't say why. They want the owner to buy a second cylinder for the shorter cases. Several hundred USD.

Rick
Probably right about it being red tape.

I have shot a truckload of .38s out of .357s with zero issue.
Carbon buildup?
Just clean the gun after shooting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts