Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for one of these. My question is are there any known issues or problems that I should be aware of and look out for?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Revolvers are reliable, and generally go bang every time.
Kimber makes quality stuff, so I wouldnt expect any issues.
I'm eventually going to get a K6s to add to the wheel gun collection.
That said, shoot one first.
It takes time to be proficient with short barreled DA revolvers.

Reactions: MrS&W357

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Revolvers are reliable, and generally go bang every time.
Kimber makes quality stuff, so I wouldnt expect any issues.
I'm eventually going to get a K6s to add to the wheel gun collection.
That said, shoot one first.
It takes time to be proficient with short barreled DA revolvers.
The K6s has a great trigger, steady pressure until you come up to a wall. You can Stage this trigger every time, then a crisp 1911 like break. This target was 10 yards with my hand loaded 148 grain Wadcutters. This little six shooter is a gem. Wasn't going to buy one because of price but found this one used for $375 ( I know, I stole it at that price with the night sights) looked it over good and don't think it fired 50 rounds before I got it. It's my favorite now and I carry it quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The K6s has a great trigger, steady pressure until you come up to a wall. You can Stage this trigger every time, then a crisp 1911 like break. This target was 10 yards with my hand loaded 148 grain Wadcutters. This little six shooter is a gem. Wasn't going to buy one because of price but found this one used for $375 ( I know, I stole it at that price with the night sights) looked it over good and don't think it fired 50 rounds before I got it. It's my favorite now and I carry it quite often.

Yeah that's more than a good deal, thats a steal.

That's half the price of my SW model 60 3 inch.

With revolvers the heavy DA pull takes getting used to.
The k6s has around a 10lb DA pull, which is about the same as my SW.
Its not a big deal with practice, but can be a factor to unfamiliar shooters.

I want one.
preferably in the 3 inch flavor.
Kimber makes beautiful guns, and the K6s gets alot of love.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
I'll play bad cop...for awhile after the K6's came on the market some owners experienced some issues. Main one I remember is the cylinder locking up sometimes even before firing the first shot.
To be fair I don't remember to many issues being reported on KT recently.

I was going to buy one but when I held one in my hand it just didn't feel right to me so I passed and just use the Smith's I already had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll play bad cop...for awhile after the K6's came on the market some owners experienced some issues. Main one I remember is the cylinder locking up sometimes even before firing the first shot.

I was going to buy one but when I held one in my hand it just didn't feel right to me so I passed and just use the Smith's I already had.
Yea that's why I asked. I remember seeing those post back then, and thought I had participated in them. I guess I only read the threads, but never actually created an account.

I've been seeing nothing but praise for them over the past years or two though. Sadly, none of the dozens of gun shops that surround me carries them, so trying before I buy isn't an option.

They seem yo be selling for $950-$1100 now, but this time last year I guess they were $750ish price range starting out. That's the only thing keeping me from buying one right now. Hoping I can find one used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that's more than a good deal, thats a steal.

That's half the price of my SW model 60 3 inch.

With revolvers the heavy DA pull takes getting used to.
The k6s has around a 10lb DA pull, which is about the same as my SW.
Its not a big deal with practice, but can be a factor to unfamiliar shooters.

I want one.
preferably in the 3 inch flavor.
Kimber makes beautiful guns, and the K6s gets alot of love.

My 640 Pro was recently stolen, so I want to replace it with a K6s with hopes that my 640 will be returned some day.

Since you mentioned it, I did pick up a 60-15 a couple of days ago from a member on another forum. Cost me $700, so yea @Albert.Cairns, you stole that at $375.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Pay attention then to your previous post responses.....there's one just waiting for you......;)
Thanks. I seen that post, but I don't feel comfortable sending that much money to someone new. Plus he's asking the same price that NIB dealers were just selling them for shipped for free. He wants the buyer to pay shipping cost. Didn't seem worth the risk for me. If he was asking $375 to $700, I might have tried to vet him some more.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I first got a K6s when Kimber told me that they couldn't fix my Solo, and asked me to pick a gun from their catalog as a replacement. I had no interest in a 1911 platform, so I chose the revolver because my LGS told me they would buy it from me. But I made the mistake of handling it first, and it just killed me to sell it to them, even though I needed the money at the time.

Long story short, I promised myself that one day I would buy one, and a year later I did. I've since added night sights and G10 grips, and it is everything I had hoped for. Accurate, amazing trigger, and just a jewel of a pistol. I've since sold off both of my J-frames, one of which I carried as light duty/BUG for over a decade when I was on the job. The Kimber just made them irrelevant, in my mind.

If I had to get rid of all my firearms except for one, the Kimber would be the one that sticks around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the market for one of these. My question is are there any known issues or problems that I should be aware of and look out for?
Bought a 3" K6S in January, and was extremely impressed with it right out of the box. first 50 rounds went fine, then it started binding up on the trigger pull/cylinder rotation. Called Kimber customer service and they were fantastic. Got an RMA and shipped it to them and they had it back in my hands with in a week. They replaced the firing pin, firing pin spring, and firing pin bushing. I noticed that the fired primers seemed to be getting caught in the reses of the firing pin bushing. When I got the gun back the busing is flush with the surrounding gun frame. Have since fired around 150 rds through it at it is operating flawlessly. I will have to shoot quite a few rounds with out a hitch to gain my confidence in it as a carry gun though, I am sure it will operate great from here on. Sorry I had to send it back but Kimber fixed it right. I accept that problems can arise, it's just good news that Kimber stands un-questioningly behind their product. I Have to say though Kimber customer service still has 22 years to catch up to Ruger. Called Ruger the week before this all happed, about a de-cocking problem I was having with my 40SW P91 that I bought back in 1994. I had the same fast, no questions asked, no charge, response, but that was on a 22 year old gun. Ruger does need to hire older workers though. Young lady on the phone said "I wasn't even born when you bought this" talk about making an old guy feel older.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
Bowbender, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Awesome shooting.(y)(y):cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts

Under rapid fire or trying to cycle the trigger quickly and not letting the trigger rebound all the way forward it will lock up the trigger. I experienced the same issue with my new K6s not exactly the same as S&W revolvers in that sense all else is spot on to J frame revolvers when it comes to the trigger mechanism

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts