Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new Kimber micro 9 owner here. I recently just purchased a micro 9, I cleaned and lubed it today. It gave me some troubles reassembling but got it back together. Did a test rack and when doing so it took some force to chamber a round. I carry it so when chambering a round before I don’t remember it needing as much force. It only happens the 1st round. If I rack the slide fast and semi hard it’ll chamber no issue, but if I guide it a little bit it’ll usually get stuck. Just making sure this is normal, or if I may have damaged something during reassembly which I don’t think I did. I appreciate any answer I get thank you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome @Primo_Void

When you're chambering the first round is the hammer already cocked? If the hammer isn't cocked you're going to get more resistance when pulling the slide back as your working both the slide return spring and the hammer spring.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If I rack the slide fast and semi hard it’ll chamber no issue, but if I guide it a little bit it’ll usually get stuck. Just making sure this is normal....

-------

Don't ride the slide forward. Pull back and let go. Let it slam forward into battery. That's the way it's designed to operate.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new Micro. same problem with me I racked the slide a few times (30-40) no problems. get some good ammo and put them though it. I carry mine everyday no worry's...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
and Phil is 100 percent correct let the slide go...

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
I think the manual even states: Slingshot the slide to chamber first round!

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I love my Micro with the Crimson Trace laser grip.
It's best not to use the +1, at least in my gun.
I carry mine in condition 2.
In my area, I have to use a full concealment holster like the Sneaky Pete but I would prefer
on on the belt OWB.
It was a smart buy on your part. Congrats.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I love my Micro with the Crimson Trace laser grip.
It's best not to use the +1, at least in my gun.
I carry mine in condition 2.
In my area, I have to use a full concealment holster like the Sneaky Pete but I would prefer
on on the belt OWB.
It was a smart buy on your part. Congrats.
The definition of condition 2 as I understand it is magazine in; round chambered; hammer forward. That would be unsafe for a Micro 9.

·
Administrator
39,134 Posts
The definition of condition 2 as I understand it is magazine in; round chambered; hammer forward. That would be unsafe for a Micro 9.
You understand it correctly sir.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
229 Posts
As I understand it, the firing pin is recessed and need a violent blow to inertia to the firing pin to go past the carrier.
My holster has the hammer covered.
Most sitesI have read says the danger is mostly from lowering the hammer.
If things get that bad, I will carry the Ultra II cocked and locked.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have read a lot of posts elsewhere that indicates issues of an accidental safety release more than an accidental concussion of the hammer. The firing pin is recessed and needs inertia to carry it forward to the primer and not merely contact. I don't expect hammer impact from outside my holster. For years I had to carry a double action revolver. Whenever I felt danger was imminent, I cocked the hammer. It is second nature to me.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Let's play it out.

Scenario 1 - Round chambered, safety on. SHTF you draw, flip safety off, thumb hammer back, thumb slips off hammer ...BOOM..you have a negligent discharge...you just possibly shot yourself or someone else or destroyed something you shouldn't have...or the added time it takes you to ready your defense gets you shot by the assailant.

Scenario 2 - Round chambered, safety off, hammer forward to half cock... You holster your firearm AIWB... you have something like a drawstring become entangled with the trigger... firearm discharges and you just shot yourself in the balls or worse yet you shot into your femoral artery and bleed out before you can get medical assistance.

I could probably come up with a couple of more scenarios.. but you get the picture. 1911 style SAO's are designed to be carried in Condition 1 - Magazine in, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on. Cocked and locked for safety.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Let's play it out.

Scenario 1 - Round chambered, safety on. SHTF you draw, flip safety off, thumb hammer back, thumb slips off hammer ...BOOM..you have a negligent discharge...you just possibly shot yourself or someone else or destroyed something you shouldn't have...or the added time it takes you to ready your defense gets you shot by the assailant.

Scenario 2 - Round chambered, safety off, hammer forward to half cock... You holster your firearm AIWB... you have something like a drawstring become entangled with the trigger... firearm discharges and you just shot yourself in the balls or worse yet you shot into your femoral artery and bleed out before you can get medical assistance.

I could probably come up with a couple of more scenarios.. but you get the picture. 1911 style SAO's are designed to be carried in Condition 1 - Magazine in, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on. Cocked and locked for safety.
This thread is about the Micro 9 not the 1911.
Scenario 1- Not a chance in hell. Carried revolver into crime scenes with hammer back when I sensed danger. Not the nervous sweaty type.
Scenario 2 - Not a chance in hell. My gun is in a Sneaky Pete holster. No drawstrings. Besides, if the hammer is down, the trigger can't release the hammer.
Scenario 3- Fast Draw McGraw thinks he can draw his 1911 and fire faster than a perp -who has a gun pointed in his direction. Fast draw becomes second place winner.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
The whole hammer being hit is moot, it has a modern firing pin safety that can only be defeated by pulling the trigger. But you must PULL the trigger to lower the hammer creating a dangerous situation. Cocked and Locked, round in chamber like it’s designed for. Otherwise Murphy’s law says you will slip off the trigger and have a discharge sooner or later. If you want a hammer down gun buy a double/single action with a decocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
No thanks. Then I wouldn't be allowed to get all this wonderful advice on why I shouldn't have purchased my Micro 9 and should only carry large 1911's under a t-shirt in the sub-tropics. By the way, I decocked my revolvers hundreds of times over a 20 year career. Never a misfire.

Murphy's Law applies to 1911's as well as Micro pistols.

·
Registered
921 Posts
on on the belt OWB.
Short Fuse,
Take a look at the Roo Pouch, since you carry the Sneaky Pete. It has a 6" pocket, a pocket for a spare mag on the bottom, plus a front pocket, belt loops, and a strap.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks. I like that a lot.
How does the micro fit? Does it move inside the pouch?
I like the Pete but it is bulky for my Micro but feels good with my LCP II. I was actually looking for something exactly like that when I found the Petes.
I will probably get one if I don't find anything better at the gun show this weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Short Fuse,
There are right hand, and left hand versions. One is able to get a flap, or a zipper front pocket. The card is from the people, from whom I had purchased these products. The Kimber EVO SP CDP is inserted into the main pocket.
Font Rectangle Electric blue Number Circle Product Sleeve Font Automotive design Material property Luggage and bags Hood Bag Bumper Automotive exterior Drinkware Tableware Textile Eyewear Cloud Tableware Serveware Gas Everyday carry Gadget

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Pretty certain you talked me into one. I gotta have black which is out of stock. I guess I'll have to wait.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts