Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
The definition of condition 2 as I understand it is magazine in; round chambered; hammer forward. That would be unsafe for a Micro 9.
Not only that but you're letting the hammer down on a live round. Can you say negligent discharge?

·
Registered
229 Posts
No. I cannot say negligent discharge.
It's not on my color wheel.
Nether the hammer nor the firing pin is on a live round.
Pick another color.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Back in 2018, they had other colors, as I had gotten a purple color for my friend, here in town. I had gotten her a purple magLULA, also. I don't see the flap model in the store, but that is why I had included the card, so that questions could be directed to the owners.

·
Registered
229 Posts
No. It isn't cocked and locked.
But it is locked and ready to cock and that makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside.
I use my 1911 to punch holes in stationary but that's not what it was designed for either.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Back in 2018, they had other colors, as I had gotten a purple color for my friend, here in town. I had gotten her a purple magLULA, also. I don't see the flap model in the store, but that is why I had included the card, so that questions could be directed to the owners.
Purple would make me feel ooky. I called them to see when black would be back in stock but had to leave a message.

Black will be back in stock on Friday

·
Registered
72 Posts
Much talk about the “negligent” or “unintentional” discharge issues seemingly inherent when carrying a pistol such as the Micro 9 (or most other 1911 style pistols) with the hammer down on a live round.
One question…For decades, how did military personnel carry the 1911 sidearm?
Yet another question…Is it not true that the Kimber “half cock” feature is to prevent a discharge when manually cocking the pistol and there is a thumb slip or similar mishap?
Just for the record…I have 3 1911 pistols and a Kimber Micro (a “kind of” 1911). I overwhelmingly prefer my Sig Sauer P220R if I’m gonna carry a large bore auto on a daily basis. The Micro 9 is probably my least favorite handgun for myriad reasons…but that’s just me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As I understand it, the firing pin is recessed and need a violent blow to inertia to the firing pin to go past the carrier.
My holster has the hammer covered.
Most sitesI have read says the danger is mostly from lowering the hammer.
If things get that bad, I will carry the Ultra II cocked and locked.
That’s how I carry my Ultra cocked & locked in a Sparks SS2 no hammer cover

·
Registered
681 Posts
The military trains that the 1911 pistol be carried cocked and locked. A true 1911 incorporates an additional safety in the grip.

The Micro 9 is a 1911 "style" pistol and is designed to be carried cocked and locked. Carrying it in the half cocked configuration with or without the the thumb safety engaged will cause the hammer to drop forward if the trigger is depressed.

Here's the explanation from Kimber in their Micro 9 manual.

"Hammer safety notch (half cock position) The hammer safety notch is a recess in the hammer which prevents it from traveling fully forward in the event of primary sear notch failure. It also prevents the hammer from contacting the firing pin if fingers slip from the slide or hammer while cocking the firearm if the hammer has moved past the stop. The safety notch is not, however, a manual safety. Do not, under any circumstance, use the safety notch as a safety."

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The military trains that the 1911 pistol be carried cocked and locked.
Really?

Not sure exactly which branch or what military you refer to, but even during combat ops, we were always required to carry in C3. Of course when the SHTF, that went out the window, and we all carried C1 anyway.

So what military training are you referring to?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Really?

Not sure exactly which branch or what military you refer to, but even during combat ops, we were always required to carry in C3. Of course when the SHTF, that went out the window, and we all carried C1 anyway.

I always thought the 1911 was a backup and was carried chamber empty full mag hammer down and safety off. Unless your M-16 or M60 ran dry it never seen daylight. I missed Nam by 3 years but my Uncle served 64-68

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
Really?

USMC... If your on guard or any type of duty in the Marine Corp it was Condition 2 for 1911 and 1 for the M9

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
USMC... If your on guard or any type of duty in the Marine Corp it was Condition 2 for 1911 and 1 for the M9
Wow, hard for me to believe the USMC would have you carry hammer down on a live round in a standard issue 1911 with no FPB. Loaded mag, hammer down, empty chamber safety off is what the training videos I’ve seen stipulates.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I recall reading that using the half cock notch was a common practice way back when with both 1911s and lever action rifles? Personally I wouldn't go that route or encourage anyone else to. After reading through this thread it seemed worthy of a mention.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A carrying a cocked Beretta??? Nah😖
USMC deems hammer down on a loaded chamber “safe” now? Am I missing something here?
Wow, hard for me to believe the USMC would have you carry hammer down on a live round in a standard issue 1911 with no FPB. Loaded mag, hammer down, empty chamber safety off is what the training videos I’ve seen stipulates.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Terrestrial plant

For every weapon except the 1911.
All 1911's magazine inserted, slide forward, round in chamber, cocked, safety on. " cocked & locked"

·
Registered
475 Posts
Condition 1 - Magazine in, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on.

On my Micro 9 and my two Micro 380s, about once a week or so, the safety slips off, and I wind up inadvertantly carrying them magazine in, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety off. Makes me uneasy. Consequently, I've switched back to carrying my airweight J-frame 9mm conversions.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Condition 1 - Magazine in, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on.

On my Micro 9 and my two Micro 380s, about once a week or so, the safety slips off, and I wind up inadvertantly carrying them magazine in, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety off. Makes me uneasy. Consequently, I've switched back to carrying my airweight J-frame 9mm conversions.
That's strange.. it would make me uneasy too. I carry my Micro 9 Rapide in a suede leather IWB holster from Relentless Tactical and have never had the safety come off. Wife carries her Micro 380 in her purse in a Ruger holster I got with my LCP and has had no issues either.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts