Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just got to try out my extended mags from Kimber this weekend, and the magazines would fall out.

It seems there is a lot of play with the magazines even the standard 6 rd magazine.

Only one of the extended magazines would fall out consistently. Is this a design flaw in the magazine or maybe the gun's magazine catch? Has anyone had this issue resolved through Kimber? I plan on calling them tomorrow.

Gun and magazines are all very new. About 200 rounds in at the moment.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Tedpro, welcome to the site from Tennessee!
Not sure about the magazine issue. I don't own a Micro so I will allow others to answer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have not experienced this with my Micro extended mags. I agree somewhat loose fitting. However, this did happen for the first time with my relatively new Sig P938. That extended mag also feels somewhat loose. It happened for me the very first time last time at range. No issues previously 4 times. My thought was that maybe as I was gripping my little finger was pulling the (loose) magazine back and causing it to disengage. (only happened a couple times). When I go back to the range again in a week or so I am going to pay more attention to both the Micro and Sig to see if my grip pulling the magazine to the rear is causing the issue. However, again, it has not happened with the Micro carry and at this point it is my theory until I go back to the range and concentrate on the mechanics of my grip while shooting. In any case, not a good thing.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Tedpro,

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. I have a couple of the extended mag's, so far with no problems. One does seem a bit 'loser' though this does not seem to have manifested itself in the form of a problem.

Keep us up to date.

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Update: Contacted Kimber and I'll be sending my Micro in for an RMA
I know this is an old thread but im curious to know what the resolution was. I just bought a Micro Carry .380 and after about 50 rounds of ammo through it the factory 6 round mag falls out with every round.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder if my FTF problem is mag related. Every 2-3 rounds
So try holding it with only one hand or so that youre not covering the bottom of the mag with your hand and see if it pops out. I am thinking that the first couple FTF's may have been related to the mag poping out too but since I had my hand covering it I didnt notice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clip Falling Out

My clip has dropped out, just a fraction of an inch. Then the gun does not fire. The problem is me; my thumb hits the magazine release the way I grip the gun. Had to be conscious of my grip.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Hold tight and fire fire fire! True for Solo's too.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My clip has dropped out, just a fraction of an inch. Then the gun does not fire. The problem is me; my thumb hits the magazine release the way I grip the gun. Had to be conscious of my grip.
Hey guys just got it back from kimber.

This is what exactly happened to me.
After it happened I couldn't determine if it was the gun or my thumb hitting it. It happened to my friend as well with my gun. So I just sent it in.

Kimber replaced the magazine catch, and recoil spring.
Kimber also tested 3 magazines with it that I sent in.

I have noticed that on my extended magazines that the baseplates have a very slight wobble to them. When they fit in the gun they are also slightly not flush.

IMO, they made bad extended magazines for the micro. Unless this is common for all extended magazines. I have not seen an extended magazine for a P938.

I can say that my HK and its magazines fit very tight, and nice.

Haven't been to the range yet to test it.

Are there any advantages the micro is supposed to have over the P238? I'm starting to regret not buying Sig.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Are there any advantages the micro is supposed to have over the P238? I'm starting to regret not buying Sig.
Other then the external cosmetics the Micro Carry and the P238 are the same gun, a number of the parts are interchangeable and to top it off they are both copies of the Colt Mustang.

Reactions: The Colonel

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hey Tedpro, I've noticed a slight bit of play in my extended mags too (.5mm) or so. I don't think it's really going to cause any problems but it had occurred to me that I could use a bead of black electrical tape around the bottom to get rid of the wiggle. I've just left mine alone, as they work fine. I have found when shooting, if I stick to either the 6 or 7 rounders, my accuracy is better than when I use both?
Like Chuck said the Sig and Micro are clones of the same design. The Sig recoil rod is different. It has a notch to ride the barrel milled into it and uses a longer lasting flat wire spring. Micros are generally more rounded off on the outside "carry melt" is I believe Kimbers term. Sig makes a variety of P238s, the ones I've looked at are kinda like Volvos, "boxy but good" :)
If you'll be shooting your Micro a lot get a set of recoil springs from Kimber, they come in 3 packs and are cheap. They're rated for 1000 rounds but I had one get a little out of shape around 750 rounds. Again they're inexpensive so having a spare available is easy enough.
...will be watching for the range review :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My wife was having problems with her mags but I think it was her grip when she fired. I shoot it all the time with no problems whatsover. We were at an indoor range last week...no problems when she fired it. Welcome to the Forum...from another Tennessean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The Sig recoil rod is different. It has a notch to ride the barrel milled into it and uses a longer lasting flat wire spring.
Can you put this recoil rod & spring into the micro?
nevermind, just found this post http://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ki.../7972-sig-flat-woung-recoil-spring-micro.html

Are the extended magazines interchangeable?

I'd be interested in trying to get as many SIG parts as I can into my kimber. Is there information anywhere on whats interchangeable?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have sig mags for my micro and they work just as well as the kimber ones. Although they are not the extended version.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Can you put this recoil rod & spring into the micro?
nevermind, just found this post http://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ki.../7972-sig-flat-woung-recoil-spring-micro.html

Are the extended magazines interchangeable?

I'd be interested in trying to get as many SIG parts as I can into my kimber. Is there information anywhere on whats interchangeable?
...someone recently posted about getting a Sig spring to fit. I believe the stock guide rod was used and because the spring is a larger diameter he needed to install it first and then coax the barrel in under it. He hadn't test fired the pistol at the time of the post.
...like I've mentioned my Micro's been running 100% with the stock rig. I'm going to "leave well enough alone" :) Big picture, 1000 rounds of .380 is about $300.00, an extra $5.00 for a spring is something I can live with.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts