Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found the same issue today. Got our Micro 380 and P238 at the same time. I ordered two extended mags and a three pack of springs from the Kimber store. One extended mag and the one that came with the gun ran fine, one did not. I thought it might be a bad mag, so I put it in the P238 and it ran fine. When I put a mag into the P238 there is an authoritative click, not so much with the Micro. I have been nothing but happy with my Stainless Target II, but I'm not impressed with the Micro so far. It shoots fine, but I expect mags to stay in the gun. I have never had a mag issue with any of my pistols, (Beretta, Springfield, S&W, and Sig). I'm requesting a RMA number tomorrow. Hopefully it works out.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I am always wondering how they do a final check of a pistol. If they get so many back it looks like they would soon have the problems resolved so a finish product will be at least 99 percent ready. I worked in manufacturing so I sort of know how some of the process goes. Many factors are involved to get a quality product with no defects.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I ordered two extended mags online and had to return one for this problem.
Did you compare the two magazines to see what was different with the bad one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My clip has dropped out, just a fraction of an inch. Then the gun does not fire. The problem is me; my thumb hits the magazine release the way I grip the gun. Had to be conscious of my grip.
Let me help you out a bit on the lingo first: a clip is used to charge/load a magazine, usually for a rifle, but some pistols did or do!!
Watch your grip!
Mine did the same thing, as well as pressing down on the slide stop. I was crippling the gun. It still has a spring issue, Kimber is sending me a guide rod and spring. They are great folks to deal with if you ever have any problems or questions. It's a fine little machine, made by a great company. Enjoy shooting it and be safe out there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Magazine falling out

I am new to the forum.
I know this thread is old. I have searched for information concerning the magazine problem on the Micro 9.
My experience has been to date. Ordered 2 extended magazines after waiting for months, finally received the 3 then they were out again. When back in stock, ordered 3 more and received.
The first two fit lose and have two cut outs for the magazine latch on each side. The last three fit alot tighter, only one cutout for the catch. I believe it is the first 2 ext mags that are coming lose causing a FTF, not falling out but unlocking and dropping down. Just yesterday I paid close attention to my hand/finger placement and that is not the problem.
So, 3/5 ext mags and the 6 rd fit tight, the other 2 are very loose and coming lose. I will call Kimber but do we have any input?

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Oiltrash. I'm not a Micro 9 owner so I can't offer any help but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a suggestion. In the mean time how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am new to the forum.
I know this thread is old. I have searched for information concerning the magazine problem on the Micro 9.
My experience has been to date. Ordered 2 extended magazines after waiting for months, finally received the 3 then they were out again. When back in stock, ordered 3 more and received.
The first two fit lose and have two cut outs for the magazine latch on each side. The last three fit alot tighter, only one cutout for the catch. I believe it is the first 2 ext mags that are coming lose causing a FTF, not falling out but unlocking and dropping down. Just yesterday I paid close attention to my hand/finger placement and that is not the problem.
So, 3/5 ext mags and the 6 rd fit tight, the other 2 are very loose and coming lose. I will call Kimber but do we have any input?
Having the cut outs on both sides sounds wrong. I know Kimber was kinda behind getting these mags released so maybe they had some malfs in production and decided it was ok to release mags with two notches? I know the Solo is ambi, but from what I can find the mags look fairly different. My thought was they used Solo mag bodies, but I kinda doubt it.

In my experience, the longer mags feel looser.

You could have a defective mag catch.

It could be a couple of the mags are defective. I'd call Kimber and see if they will replace them.

It still could be you bumping the mag release even though you have checked your hand position. Only you can be positive on this.

It could be a weak mag release spring. Wolff sells a replacement for the Mustang which is a good bit stronger than the ones that come in the Micro .380's. It's my guess Kimber is using the same spring for the .380 and 9mm. They come in a service pack, but maybe Wolff would just sell you the spring you need if you call them.

That's all I got. Let us know how it works out.

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/MUSTANG%20&%20PONY/cID1/mID1/dID68#772

·
Registered
8 Posts
Magazine falling out

Thank you, I took the grips off and checked the play with all mags seated. All were tight except the 2 with the double notch, which I believe are the first two I got.
While shooting the last time, I purposely held the grip lower however I was then gripping the extension tight which always moves and you really notice it while shooting. I checked the tension and function of the mag release and it appears to be strong and tight?
I will be separating these two from the group to see if it happens. If it does it is probably the spring or latch. I don't think 780 rounds it should be worn, but maybe.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Have you tried breaking down the magazines and cleaning them? It doesn't happen often but I have found little bits of crap in new magazines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No I have not, that is a thought. I shot 50 today for a test and as always they did not come lose. fall down. Maybe the cleaning with grips off helped. I also sprayed the inside of the mags. The 2 mags are still far more lose than the others.
Time will tell, more testing. Will post the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will try the inside cleaning. Tried 100 yesterday. The double notched mags came lose. I guess I will call Kimber also to see what they say. I must say though it is not every use of a certain mag, after so many rounds the problem started?? I have a 938 that did the same thing more frequently and I had to send it back, all is well now on it. Machining on the inside was off a little.
Will keep you posted.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts