Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should say that the rifle didn't disappoint but the seller did. I purchased a beautiful (or I thought it was) Kimber model 84 made in Oregon about a month ago. l received it and from my first impression, it was beautiful. Externally it had no defects. I shot it but I wasn't impressed with its accuracy. I tore it down and low and behold, I found the stock was split up the middle. It had a five inch crack from the rear of the action up into the forearm. The seller won't take it back so I'm stuck with it. I tried to repair it myself but to no avail.
Anyway, I guess I'm in search of a new (used) stock. I'm new to Kimber's and to this sight so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Sorry for your ordeal. The first thing I'd try would be to contact Kimber to see if they would repair the stock with pins and/or cross bolts. If that's a 'no', then inquire about a replacement stock for your rifle. They DO have them in-house.

If neither of those venues work, then I'd contact a reputable smith to have the nice stock repaired with the same method. If done correctly, it'll be stronger than when new, and the fix will barely be visible. What caliber is the rifle? Must be a thumper to create that crack unless it was shot with loose guard screws.

In the end, your rifle will have cost you a bit more, but it'll be sound and ready for the field. Good luck, let us know how this one shakes out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Impressive. I was hoping for the same. I knew something was up when first shot it at fifty yards and groups wer in the four to five inch range. I then moved it twenty five yards and groups were still two to three inches. Didn’t seem right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Kimber 84M is in 204 Ruger and is a stellar shooter. Yours in 223 should also be at least a sub MOA rifle once properly repaired.

The varmints here have grown to fear this rifle!
My Kimber 84M is in 204 Ruger and is a stellar shooter. Yours in 223 should also be at least a sub MOA rifle once properly repaired.

The varmints here have grown to fear this rifle!
Leupold Dual Dovetail, great choice!

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
Have you searched the web for a replacement factory wood stock? Or a aftermarket stock? Might be cheaper, easier in the long run. Might take away from the “ Oregon” value but at least you would have a accurate shooting rifle.

Reactions: stockmaker

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At this point I realize that whatever I do, the value will drop dramatically. I don’t care about that as my plan was to keep it anyway. I work second shift and I’ll start searching online after work. Thanks for the idea and concern. What really stinks is the exterior wood is beautiful and the barrel and action have no defects. Sigh……

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
At this point I'd recommend finding a smith who does stock work and it properly repaired with cross-bolts and permanent adhesive bonding. If done properly, the fix will not be visible and the rifle will be returned to a usable state. With such nice wood, I'd want to keep it too.

Sorry you're having to deal with such a nice rifle in such a sad state. Let us know how it all shakes out.

·
Registered
775 Posts
At this point I realize that whatever I do, the value will drop dramatically. I don’t care about that as my plan was to keep it anyway. I work second shift and I’ll start searching online after work. Thanks for the idea and concern. What really stinks is the exterior wood is beautiful and the barrel and action have no defects. Sigh……
Yep! If it’s that nice, I’d try to save the original too!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts