Kimber Talk Forums banner
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
That really sucks. Why the hell introduce it if you don't have it readily available.
Standard operating procedure for Kimber and other makers. IMO.
Normally most new models would have been announced and on display at the Shot Show Vegas at the first month or two of the year, then maybe, if we was lucky late in the summer we might start seeing some of those new releases. But we all know what happened. Chuck made a great point about the lack of truck drivers.
The Mako just had it's Birth announcement. I wouldn't expect to see a Mako in a local gun shop until after the first of the year. I would guess a couple might show up on GunBroker in a few months. Yes, exceptions could exist.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Well... in retrospect.. my Shield Plus was introduced to the masses a week after Ruger introduced the Max 9. Both were readily available. I was able to go compare them and opted for the Shield. The point is that was earlier this year with the same bullshit going on and they had them ready. Both guns have been a HUGE success. Kimber could take a lesson here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well... in retrospect.. my Shield Plus was introduced to the masses a week after Ruger introduced the Max 9. Both were readily available. I was able to go compare them and opted for the Shield. The point is that was earlier this year with the same bullshit going on and they had them ready. Both guns have been a HUGE success. Kimber could take a lesson here.
I couldn’t agree more!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I placed an order for the Mako with one of favorite local stores after it was first released. Looking at this forum seems like no one has seen them in stores nor should I expect mine to come anytime soon. I did buy the desantis slim tuk holster and 2 extra 13rd magazines on their website. The holster is now sold out. I received the holster but the 2 extra 13rd magazines have not been shipped yet (they're not sold out so I wonder if even those aren't ready for shipment).

I only ever owned one striker fire gun before (p365xl w/ romeo zero sight) and sold it within a couple of months. Hated the trigger. I had only ever owned Kimber 1911 or micros before. Only reason I'm going to try the mako is because its from Kimber...and all the raving about the trigger.

Given all of the issues with the micro 9 line (never even looked twice at the evos) - half of the local stores around me basically stopped stocking kimbers altogether. I myself had to go through several micro 9 models before I got a rapide black ice version that did not have failure to feed and magazines sliding out. And the one I have is actually being sent to kimber for issues with finish wear on the slide and an indent in the frame from the hammer cocking back (only 300 rounds through it). lol I'm stubbornly committed to Kimber.... but given how hard their reputation has taken a hit by the firearm community at large ... I feel like the mako is either going to help restore the larger community's faith in kimber or be the final nail in the coffin for some.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
When you say: "I placed an order for the Mako..." 1. Did you put money down on the barrel head to place your order?
2. Are you obligated to purchase said Mako when it arrives. 3. Did this favorite local store offer any kind of timeline when they may receive your new Mako? 4. If you paid earnest money can you get a full refund after waiting say 3-6 months or longer and still no R7 Mako? If past "new model" release history repeats it will be a long wait for a Mako. IMO.

You must remember Kimber's reputation was built mostly on true 1911 pistols, some on accurate pre-Yonkers rifles. NOT on 1911 Look A Like Micro's and Micro 9's, Solo's, Evo's, K6 revolvers which have harmed the reputation earned a long time ago. I expect the Mako to be popular with a younger crowd but not restore faith in Kimber firearms.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you say: "I placed an order for the Mako..." 1. Did you put money down on the barrel head to place your order?
2. Are you obligated to purchase said Mako when it arrives. 3. Did this favorite local store offer any kind of timeline when they may receive your new Mako? 4. If you paid earnest money can you get a full refund after waiting say 3-6 months or longer and still no R7 Mako? If past "new model" release history repeats it will be a long wait for a Mako. IMO.

You must remember Kimber's reputation was built mostly on true 1911 pistols, some on accurate pre-Yonkers rifles. NOT on 1911 Look A Like Micro's and Micro 9's, Solo's, Evo's, K6 revolvers which have harmed the reputation earned a long time ago. I expect the Mako to be popular with a younger crowd but not restore faith in Kimber firearms.
I put like 20% down. There’s no obligation to buy and can cancel anytime without any penalty or restocking fee. Love the store and people that run it. They’ve ordered specific Kimbers for me in the past.
But no I did not get any real eta. He was also in middle of placing general overall order for the store. Talking with all the shops around me it’s basically “we have no idea.”
Yeah I never had any issues with their actual 1911s. I still have an ultra carry cdp from quite a while ago. But around that time I also got a micro 380 and never had any issues even though it was more pseudo 1911 look a like. Loved it. Sold it when I wanted to get the micro 9 back in May. I haven’t bought any new Kimber 1911s yet. Not sure how true it is given the Kimber haters but I was also starting to hear that there was an uncomfortable amount of issues issues cropping up with them. But again that might just be the bias taking effect.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My LGS can't order the Mako R7 yet.
It's not available for them to order.

I asked about one yesterday when I ordered my Shockwave through one of their distributors.
( Well, I paid for it while they were placing an order for inventory and they added my Shockwave to it).

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a huge shortage of truck drivers right now. People just don't want to work when they can stay home and get paid to do it. They were saying on the news that there is going to be a big shortage of toys this year for Christmas.
There IS a shortage of truck drivers, or at least a shortage of people willing to spend weeks at a time away from home for the pay offered. It's not bad enough to impact your Christmas. What WILL impact Christmas is a shortage of ships coming from China. Multiple ports have either closed or reduced operation due to COVID. The cost of shipping a 40-foot Intermodal container to the U.S. is running about 10X the usual rate. The ships that get loaded and make it to U.S. ports face long wait times to get unloaded. Get your Christmas shopping done early. FWIW, after a career in the business, I know more about trucking than I do 1911's.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
There IS a shortage of truck drivers, or at least a shortage of people willing to spend weeks at a time away from home for the pay offered. It's not bad enough to impact your Christmas. What WILL impact Christmas is a shortage of ships coming from China. Multiple ports have either closed or reduced operation due to COVID. The cost of shipping a 40-foot Intermodal container to the U.S. is running about 10X the usual rate. The ships that get loaded and make it to U.S. ports face long wait times to get unloaded. Get your Christmas shopping done early. FWIW, after a career in the business, I know more about trucking than I do 1911's.
My 26 year old nephew makes 80 grand a year driving a truck, with better insurance than a state trooper.
He has only been driving for 4 years.

If drivers dont want to drive for that money, fuck them.
Fire them and hire someone else that isn't an idiot.
Anyone balking at 80k a year for driving a truck is a moron, and shouldn't be trusted with a load.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The K6 is actually quite good. It's about the only Kimber that is all machined and doesn't make use of MIM.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Are they capable of learning?
That's the question 🤔

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
I was down at my LGS this AM and still no Mako on site or on the way.
This is going to be a really long thread if you post every time you DON'T find a Mako!!!

Reactions: bad ninja
121 - 140 of 159 Posts