Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago I was a couple of hours away from home and stopped in a little gun shop that had a bunch (20-30) of Kimbers in their safes. The owner kept pulling them out one by one. I had never laid eyes on a Kimber handgun before. Lots of oohs and aaahs ensued. Wicked nice guns! I'm not new to guns but have a renewed interest with an avid outdoorsman future son in law in the picture. I also acquired my Utah CC permit a little over a year ago to go along with my NY permit of 21 years for the addition of 32 states of legal carry. One of the last guns to look at was the Solo STS, didn't need to go any further. Can't get it out of my head. Closer to my budget also. I've been a revolver guy, in stainless, shooting lefty all my life. My long rifles are leftys too. It's the only thing I do left handed. So lately I've been thinking semi-auto looking for left hand friendly guns. Looks to be down to 2, the other being S&W M&P 9C. Never have laid eyes (or mitts) on one of those either so I'll reserve final judgement until I do. The scale tipped heavily towards the Solo 2 days ago though, so much so I have thoughts of selling my S&W 640 38 spl. to fund it. (2 engaged daughters w/ 1 date in the equation). I'm used to S&W's lifetime warranty, never needing it, so 1 year leaves ?s. After the bugs of manufacture, which does not bother me, are worked out, can other problems be pricey (after warranty)? I am very mechanically inclined with plenty of tools and cleaning supplies, so I would expect to be ok. I'm not usually this long winded- rainy morning, back to work tomorrow.

Stay safe, John

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
John, welcome to the site from Tennessee! I don't have a Solo, but the Solo seems to be a fine pistol. Some owners have had a few problems but I think all have been resolved either by changing ammo or from Kimber repairs.
I think your main question was will it be expensive to repair a Solo after the "one year warranty"?
I don't think that would be an issue. I would not let that stop me from buying a Solo. I think others will confirm that Kimber has stepped up and repaired pistols that were 10,11,12 years old free of charge.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. I don't own a Solo so I am afraid I am not much help there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome John,
I have an SOLO STS. Had it since January. Absolutely love the gun. Have yet to have any issue after 600-700 rounds. The couple I did have, (and I do mean only a couple) were my error in grasping and supporting the pistol properly so that it could cycle as intended. Few things you do have to adapt to like any pistol but nothing that interferes with a good self defense gun. Only issues I find really are the 8 round mags. The rounds just nosedive with seven or 8 rounds. Oh, and make sure you catch the little spring for the slide lock and you shouldn't have a problem. Just a great gun in my opinion! Any questions just give us a yell.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois John, I'm sorry but I don't own a Solo either, you're on a roll. Kimbers customer service is second to none, I know of cases where they've repaired guns for 2nd owners free of charge. Another person sent their older Kimber in for service and in addition to fixing the problem they refinished the frame without being asked to again at no charge.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Hey Ya'll!

Welcome to the forum from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
:cool::cool::cool:
City of Monroe.jpg

Have no fear of purchasing the Kimber Solo. Kimber is known for their fine customer service department. I have never heard of them charging a customer for anything other than an out and out abused firearm. Kimber is a quality firearm, backed by a quality, customer oriented and professional company!! From years of experience, I can say the same for Smith and Wesson, also. I you like the Solo, give the Smith and Wesson M&P9(40) Shield a look also. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I carry during cooler weather, but my warm weather EDC is a M&P40 Shield!!! Either will serve you well as a fine carry pistol.

PC II 125 Rnds-3.JPG M&P40 Shield & Blackhawk Askins Compact Concealment Holster.JPG
Kimber PC II and Smith and Wesson M&P40 Shield

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Hiya, John. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I got a text from a friend saying Gander Mt had an M&P 9C in stock so we took I ride so I could look at and hold it tonight, no comparison! My next gun will be a Solo STS. It just felt right in the hand, and what a trigger! So the short list got shorter. Down to one.

Stay safe, John

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
I'm glad you got a chance to compare the two guns and pick the one you felt would be best for you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fit, feel, and trigger nothing compares to the Solo on the small 9mm market. You wont regret getting the Solo.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Congrats!!!

Congrats on choosing the Solo. I'm sure that it will serve you well!!

Spock.jpg
Live Long and Shoot Kimbers!!!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Hi John welcome to the forum. I have a camp in Gray NY and will be up there Turkey hunting with my son this weekend. black flies here we come!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, I don't know where Gray is. If you sit still the black flies will find you, if you move around you'll stir them up. That's been my experience anyway.

Stay safe, John

PS: I've made the decision which firearm is next, just don't know how long it will take to acquire the funds. 2 engaged daughters may delay the purchase, just to let you all know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought the STS and like it a lot. First time at the range went badly but I thing it was due to the ammo. I shot some high end stuff yesterday and the gun functioned fine. Very accurate for it's size but mine seems ammo sensitive. Kurt

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Just bought the STS and like it a lot. First time at the range went badly but I thing it was due to the ammo. I shot some high end stuff yesterday and the gun functioned fine. Very accurate for it's size but mine seems ammo sensitive. Kurt
Mine was the same way.
It was a picky eater that only liked...
Winchester Ranger 147 bonded jhp
Golden Saber 147
Winchester Nato 124
Before I sold it though, it was even eating 115gr..
Keep breaking it in and it will get even better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
John,
I have a Solo STS ,just love it .I read all the bad press on the solo for 2 years,never seen one in the store so I waited.one day I found one .this gun is grea,haven't had any of the problems that other people have had .Too many people posting what they heard about the solo with out owning one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts