Kimber Talk Forums banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I have 2 stainless Springfield Garrisons in 9mm on order. I’m expecting the first in about a week so expect another round of review.

Update on the Kimber 10mm. I got a message from Kimber stating they shipped the gun back but still no tracking information at UPS for the tracking number. Either it never shipped or someone typo’d the tracking number. Also have an email into the customer service rep I spoke with about what was done to it. I’ll update when I know something.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Either it never shipped or someone typo’d the tracking number.
Happens all the time. It's the lag time between when they create the label and UPS scans it in upon pickup. I've seen that go 1-2 days. Then the tracking all of a sudden works. It's annoying when you are anxiously awaiting something.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
Happens all the time. It's the lag time between when they create the label and UPS scans it in upon pickup. I've seen that go 1-2 days. Then the tracking all of a sudden works. It's annoying when you are anxiously awaiting something.
Yup.
Sometimes it's a printed label and scheduled pickup.
Sometimes UPS won't update the status for a day or so.
It should update in a day or so.

Reactions: JC45

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
The malfunctioning 10mm Kimber Stainless II is back. I wish I had good things to say, but unfortunately, there isn’t going to be much of that.

Here is the detailed description of the service that was performed.
Font Paper Document Writing Number

So, instead of replacing the barrel with the chunks missing out of it, the ground it down further and attempted to make it work.

The barrel after service.
Plant Gas Bicycle part Cylinder Grass

Attempting to “fix” a defective barrel instead of replacing it on a $900 gun automatically gets you a “C” grade. That’s assuming it actually works.

The issues with the filing marks in the slide were not addressed at all.

The slide when returned.
Composite material Tints and shades Auto part Comfort Fashion accessory

That gets us down to a “D” grade on the warranty work for failing to correct manufacturing defects that were clearly pointed out.

How did it perform?

In short, I didn’t get through a single magazine without a failure. First failure was a failure to feed. Second failure was that the slide locked back mid magazine.

Failing to function with off the shelf factory ball ammo after warranty service, you get an “F” for warranty service.

In the more than 70 handguns I have purchased since February 2019, There has only been one other gun that I have had to send in a second time and that was a SCCY CPX-2. It was taken to a gun smith to have the live round removed from the chamber. It was the first round it tried to chamber during function test. After which it had over a 50% failure to feed. It was sent to the manufacturer for warranty service. After the gun came back not only did it continue to have FTF issue (albeit less of them), the damn frame pins walked out of it during the first shots. It made a second trip to the manufacturer, verified it functioned when it came back and immediately sold. After discussing it with their lead gunsmith, the walking frame pins were a known problem when it was sent in the first time. There was a fix in place at the time and not corrected then. SCCY is now on my black list of manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Failing to function with off the shelf factory ball ammo after warranty service, you get an “F” for warranty service.
I don't blame you for being pissed off. I'm glad that I passed on going with the 10mm vs. 45 for my new Stainless II. Hope it doesn't have similar issues.

Attempting to “fix” a defective barrel instead of replacing it on a $900 gun automatically gets you a “C” grade.
That barrel looks rough. The barrel on my new .45 Stainless II is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Given the feed ramp defect, I'd demand a new barrel. Agree that's really bush league to file off the defect on a brand new pistol.

Reactions: mc1911

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
I had some time yesterday afternoon to do some troubleshooting. Just out of curiosity, I replaced the recoil spring in the defective 10mm with the one from the working 10mm. I was able to run 3 full magazines of the same 180gr ball ammo without failure. At that point I was completely out of factory 10mm FMJ.

I found a box of 10mm S&B JHP 180gr that I had bought a while back and forgot about.
Wood Font Money Currency Circle

I ran 1 magazine without failure. The second magazine, however, unexpectedly locked the slide back again mid magazine.
Finger Air gun Trigger Revolver Grass

Hand Plant Gesture Finger Gadget

The video I took the day before, the pictures from today and a detailed description were all sent to the customer service rep I was working with. I expect a response back from him today.

·
Registered
355 Posts
When it’s field stripped can you see any brass marks on the slide stop lug? Possible the nose of the next round is barely bumping it causing premature lock back. I don’t know if the smaller diameter 10mm would have this issue like the .45 sometimes does?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
When it’s field stripped can you see any brass marks on the slide stop lug? Possible the nose of the next round is barely bumping it causing premature lock back. I don’t know if the smaller diameter 10mm would have this issue like the .45 sometimes does?
You are the second person to say that. I am in agreement that it is possible. I can look later on today. Either way, it’s going back. I won’t be making any permanent changes until it operates as it should. In addition, they still need to fix the workmanship defects in the slide.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
Ok, so here are some clean pictures of the Garrison 9mm.
Wood Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

Wood Rectangle Air gun Automotive exterior Font

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

First thing I noticed was that the pressure on the disconnector was enough to hold the slide open on its own. I suspected I would have to sand the bottom as I did with the Loaded but I waited until I ran test rounds first.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

I started off with some Remington range ammo. The Garrison only comes with one magazine. Luckily I had a Kimber mag available. Magazines are identical, even stamped with the same patent number (assuming MecGar’s patent).

Trigger Wood Air gun Font Gun barrel

First two magazines only chambered the rounds manually due to the 100% failure to eject. The giveaway was the failure for the slide to hold open on the last round. It was not cycling the slide far enough back to hit the ejector with enough force to expel the spent case.
Hand Green Product Finger Gesture

Awesome right?

I took it back apart as sanded the bottom or the slide exactly as I did with the previous Loaded. I finished out that box with a 1 round per magazine failure to eject. That was a drastic improvement over the previous two magazines.

I moved on to a box of Blazer 115gr FMJ and averaged 1 failure to eject per magazine.

From there I took the gun apart, cleaned / oiled again and went to 124gr FMJ. I averaged maybe a little more than 1 failure to eject per mag, along with a couple instances of the slide failing to hold open on the last round.

The cycling manually feels pretty smooth. I think the recoil spring might be a touch heavy, preventing the slide from full rearward travel. At this point, there have been 158rds put through it. Only 3 mags ran without a failure and those were not consecutive magazines.

I thought about it some and wondered if a couple of days with the slide locked open would make any difference to a new spring, so I locked it open and left it like that for about 36 hours. The results were very similar.

Its now down to 2 failures to eject in every 3 mags. Failures to eject appear to be down to the last spent case in the mag. Last round failed to eject in the first two mags I ran today. Two mags ran perfect. Two more mags failed to eject the last round. That was 50 more Blazer 115gr run through it. At this point, there is a total of 208rds through it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Good new, followed by good news, then some bad news.

First good news, the Rapide is at the FFL as of yesterday. I will have to go in and pick it up tomorrow. Little brother is coming by, bringing his stash of 1911s and having a 1911 range day. That's always a good day.

Other good news, when I bought the first Kimber Stainless II, I bought two of them. I ended up transferring one to little brother. The problem 10mm is actually the third one I bought. The good news is, I have it here for evaluation as it has never been fired.
Brown Air gun Wood Rectangle Trigger

It is pretty smooth much like the 45 version I have. Cleaned, oiled and ran 150 rounds through it. It ejected every time. The bad news is, it didn't run a single mag without chambering issues. 1-3 per mag. Usually 1 or 2. 50% of the time the last round would get stuck.
Trigger Gadget Everyday carry Gun accessory Metal

Cable Gadget Nail Fashion accessory Wood

In reviewing what was going on, I observed that the nose was in the chamber every time. In my mind that really left 3 things I could think of that could cause the issue, 1 not enough energy/momentum to push the round through (like the Springfield), 2 the chamber was too tight/sharp to make the turn, 3 the rim isn't getting behind the extractor when stripped from the mag.

I don't think its an energy/momentum issue. A light tap on the back of the slide will usually will send the round home. It only did so three times. I am not good enough to diagnose a tight chamber. Which brings me to the third possibility, the rim isn't getting behind the extractor. At least for the most part, I think this may be the issue. looking at it in the pics, it appears the rear of the round is pushed to the side
Hand Finger Fluid Thumb Nail

You can't really see it in that picture but the rear of the round is slightly depressed into the mag as well. If I pull the slide back just a little bit to take the tension off the round, the rear of the round will pop up and align with the chamber. If I let go of the slide from there, it will push the round in on its own. Its important to note that when I do that, the rim is now in front of the extractor, not behind the hook.

Here is another view. From here, it looks like the rim isn't clearing the extractor.
Finger Lipstick Cylinder Tints and shades Bullet

In addition to the chambering issues, there was one instance at the end where the slide locked open before chambering the last round. It was a partial slide stop engagement like the previous 10mm but I noticed that in this instance, the round was already pushed all the way up to the feed ramp. I believe this was due to the round above it pushing down on it in an unnatural way due to being pressed down by the extractor and possibly caused the round above to drag the round below it forward. It is possible that the follower moved far enough up that it started to engage the stop. I don't believe it is the same as the previous 10mm. If you look at those pics, the round is seated to the rear of the mag where it belongs. I think this is a case of the same symptom, but different cause.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Kimber Rapide Dawn in 9mm is here. I was looking forward to sharing the good, the bad and the ugly, but I only have good things to say about this Rapide. The bad and the ugly will have to wait on another gun... I'd be lying through my teeth if I said this thing was ugly. Its beautimous!

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

Air gun Wood Trigger Wood stain Gun barrel

Wood Microphone Office supplies Material property Tints and shades

There will be some wear on the barrel right where that dark strip is. Its already worn through the gold color after 3 mags.
Wood Trigger Office supplies Tints and shades Electronic device

Front strap texture
Finger Gadget Carbon Nickel Cylinder

Hand Wood Finger Audio equipment Camera lens

Backstrap texture. (that's not faws in the hammer, thats oil). There is a tiny bit of side to side play but very little.
Tableware Finger Wood Office supplies Cylinder

Great sight picture
Watch Automotive tire Wood Font Tints and shades

First, I was hesitant that this was going to run 9mm without a problem. Its tight and a little on the stout side racking the slide, for a 9mm that is. Still not as heavy as a 10mm or 45 but a little on the stouter side of 9mm. Trigger was beautiful. Very smooth pull and crisp on the break. no sponginess.

I ran 3 magazines through it of hand loads. These were moderate, barely subsonic 115gr round nose (I'm out of factory 9mm). It ran flawless. Mild and accurate enough that at 35 yards, I was pelting a 12" circle in rapid fire without even using sights. Handling is incredible.
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Rectangle

I will do an accuracy test tomorrow and check sight alignment if I don't get a chance to do it a little later. We were planning on a 1911 range day here but it got pushed until tomorrow. If it shoots groups anything like it handles, I'd recommend it without a hesitation. I have reservation about the Kimpro finish holding up but only time will tell that. It appears to be very well done and replicates a satin stainless very well. If I did not know it was Kimpro, I would not have known any better by its appearance.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts