Kimber Talk Forums banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
All subjective but I like it.
You can’t just buy the Rapide grips so this is the stuff I ordered. If all works out well, I’ll do the 10mm Stainless II that I’m keeping the same way. They’ll be identical but in 45 and 10mm. The total package including the gun will cost a total of right at $1,000 for the 45 and $980 for the 10mm.

grips
Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Font Everyday carry Metal

Short bushings and screws
Font Circle Rectangle Metal Auto part

mainspring housing with magwell
Gesture Tool Font Rectangle Kitchen utensil

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
It's not awful. That's the great thing with grips easy to change and many to choose from.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Grips will be here Thursday but the MSH/magwell was canceled by the vendor. Had to reorder through someone else. This time I ordered two. I have little doubt I’ll do the 10mm the same as the 45. Won’t all be Rapides but they’ll share a similar look and feel in 3 chamberings.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Magwells have shipped but won't be here until next week. Here's a couple transition pics. First, the comparison between the Rapide factory grips and the VZ Fallout grips. The biggest difference is the size of the circles in the texture.
White Air gun Black Trigger Grey

Second pic is an unmodified Kimber Stainless II with the VZ Fallout grips, one with the slide flats sanded to a machine face and the Rapide together. I think they look good on the unmodified if someone wanted to take that route.
Air gun Black Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
The two new Springfield Garrisons came in, one in 45 and another in 9mm.
Air gun Trigger Wood Plant Gun barrel

Good news on the 45, it has run without issue. Haven’t accuracy tested it yet but so far so good.

The 9mm, not so good. Pretty consistent if the slide is closed when a full mag is inserted, the first round will not chamber. It’s not the mag because I also tested the ones I’ve been using in the Rapide, including the one from the other Garrison 9mm. It will hang on the feed ramp 100% of the time.

If the slide is open when the full mag is inserted, the round will chamber half of the time. Rounds 2-5 pretty consistently hang. Sometimes a bump on the slide will send it into battery, most of the time it’s a firm hang on the feed ramp.

Rounds 6-9 will usually chamber but not always eject. I did smooth out the engraving on the bottom of the slide on the 9mm but it made no difference. The 45 could use that treatment but it runs as is. So far, the 9mm Garrison is 0 for 2. Still waiting for the first one to return from Springfield.

I will add that these two meet my expectations on finish better than the first. The first one had some slight tapering at the edges where the flats were sanded in the factory. These two (1 came from Alabama, the other from California) have nice crisp edges.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Finished products on the Kimber Stainless II’s. Magwells/Mainspring housings are installed and grips grinded down to my liking. Used a die grinder to smooth out all the sharp edges. Much more comfortable now.

Finish on the magwells was good. One of then has a small gap in the front between the magwell and the grip frame. its not enough to get snagged or anything but it is there. The gap cannot be seen with the grips on unless its at just the right angle. The other one fits good.

Wood Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Bumper

Aftermarket Mec-gar mags fit well. You can use the mags without the butt plate, just have to push the mag in with your thumb.

Wood Office equipment Wood stain Hardwood Rectangle

Car alarm Hand Bumper Finger Gadget

Dvi cable Bumper Communication Device Finger Everyday carry

They are much brighter than the factory main spring housing.

Hand Revolver Gesture Finger Everyday carry

Finished product

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Font

Wood Font Knife Gun accessory Blade

81 - 100 of 128 Posts