Kimber Talk Forums banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I forgot to mention the 10mm came back a second time without fixing the guide rod housing? In fact, there was no indication they did anything to it. It’s at the auction now. I’ll have to give some serious consideration before spending any more on a Kimber.

At this point, Springfield has an A rating on service and support. They still have 2 of the 9mm Garrisons, that could change. The only thing Kimber has going for it is quick turn around, which amounts to squat if nothing is done. At this point, between the ordeal with the rep, not fixing the 10mm on the first go around and no indication anything was done on the second trip, Kimber has an F rating on service and support. If the second 10mm comes back running at it should in a timely manner, I might upgrade that to a D, but for now, it is what it is. After spending over $5k with them, I’m pretty ticked.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
The first Garrison 9mm I sent in came back running great. 5 magazines though it without issue. Waiting for the other one to come back so I can make the final call on which Garrison 9mm I will keep and which is going to auction. I did however, get a family pic after dressing out the one I got back. It is possible that the 9 that Springfield still has will replace the one below (better finish) but it’s just swapping the grips.

The final product for the 6 I’m keeping from this thread. They all run good, they all look good so I’m content. The 4 I’m selling off will fun new guns later.
Product Trigger Air gun Font Gun barrel

I stopped at Scheels yesterday and picked up 9 mag plate extensions for the guns with beveled magwell extensions. The Springfields look cleaner without the magwell add-on. At least, the way I dressed them up.

On another note, I already had two of the hard chrome Metro Arms American Classic II’s in 45. I just ordered one in 10mm. The two I have are great guns, never failed me and look pretty too. Also don’t scratch like stainless. I hope the 10mm I ordered doesn’t disappoint. I had been holding out for a 6” Bullseye long slide but it’s been 2 years and it never turned up so I got one to match my 45s. Those I will start a new thread.

The hard chrome ACII’s I have in 45.
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
The first Garrison 9mm I sent in came back running great. 5 magazines though it without issue. Waiting for the other one to come back so I can make the final call on which Garrison 9mm I will keep and which is going to auction. I did however, get a family pic after dressing out the one I got back. It is possible that the 9 that Springfield still has will replace the one below (better finish) but it’s just swapping the grips.

The final product for the 6 I’m keeping from this thread. They all run good, they all look good so I’m content. The 4 I’m selling off will fun new guns later.
View attachment 131102

I stopped at Scheels yesterday and picked up 9 mag plate extensions for the guns with beveled magwell extensions. The Springfields look cleaner without the magwell add-on. At least, the way I dressed them up.

On another note, I already had two of the hard chrome Metro Arms American Classic II’s in 45. I just ordered one in 10mm. The two I have are great guns, never failed me and look pretty too. Also don’t scratch like stainless. I hope the 10mm I ordered doesn’t disappoint. I had been holding out for a 6” Bullseye long slide but it’s been 2 years and it never turned up so I got one to match my 45s. Those I will start a new thread.

The hard chrome ACII’s I have in 45.
View attachment 131103
How are the Metro Arms comparatively?

I have seen the Metro Arms 1911s in shops, but haven't shot one, or really paid much attention to them.
What is your opinion of them?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
How are the Metro Arms comparatively?

I have seen the Metro Arms 1911s in shops, but haven't shot one, or really paid much attention to them.
What is your opinion of them?
This was a video I did a couple years ago. My opinion is pretty high considering the cost.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
This was a video I did a couple years ago. My opinion is pretty high considering the cost.

I have heard good things about them.

Let me suggest checking out BUL Armory 1911s.
I was blown away with the quality of their guns.
I have 2 now. Flawless operation, and haven't had a single malfunction I'm either one.
I have a commander and a fullsize in 9mm and for under $800 I think they are the best deal by far in a 1911.
Fit and finish are excellent.
Just handle one if you run across them in a gun shop. These were $700 +/- each.
Photograph White Air gun Black Trigger

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
That's a good review Phil!
Nice job.
Just something I do I’m my spare time. I ain’t no pro at it. I actually filmed all the footage for the Springfields and Kimbers but some asshat incorporated something in the last update that destroyed the audio. Every time the gun is fired, for the next min or two, the audio is so low you can’t hear anything, then it automatically turns itself back up just in time for the gun to go off again. Talk about piss me off.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Looks like I ended up winning an auction I had a bid in on. First used 1911 I have ever bought, stainless Kimber Raptor. Bought the 3 year protection plan on it. runs $1450+ 11% tax locally at Scheels. I bought this one for $950, $1055 shipped + $16 protection plan. Looks barely used.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Suitable for framing. They look great!

I have occasionally (and gently) taken fine wet sanding paper to new VZ / G10 grips. I prefer the grips to be aggressive on full-size pistols but brand new they can feel like a cheese grater.

For smaller, concealable carry I lean toward smooth grips.

For competing, I used Goon Tape on the grips and hand guards. Fugly, but it works. It would be a sin on your 1911's, but for an EDC I found nothing better for improving grip on a firearm.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Suitable for framing. They look great!

I have occasionally (and gently) taken fine wet sanding paper to new VZ / G10 grips. I prefer the grips to be aggressive on full-size pistols but brand new they can feel like a cheese grater.

For smaller, concealable carry I lean toward smooth grips.

For competing, I used Goon Tape on the grips and hand guards. Fugly, but it works. It would be a sin on your 1911's, but for an EDC I found nothing better for improving grip on a firearm.
It’s the Fallout grips specifically that are the problem. I actually like the grip texture on the VZs. The fallout grips have deep recesses that are milled out of the surface. That’s where the sharp edges are. Really uncomfortable to hold.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have heard good things about them.

Let me suggest checking out BUL Armory 1911s.
I was blown away with the quality of their guns.
I have 2 now. Flawless operation, and haven't had a single malfunction I'm either one.
I have a commander and a fullsize in 9mm and for under $800 I think they are the best deal by far in a 1911.
Fit and finish are excellent.
Just handle one if you run across them in a gun shop. These were $700 +/- each. View attachment 131109
Now, you have me looking at the Bul Armory 1911's

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
It’s the Fallout grips specifically that are the problem. I actually like the grip texture on the VZs. The fallout grips have deep recesses that are milled out of the surface. That’s where the sharp edges are. Really uncomfortable to hold.
I read that boxers back in the days of bare-knuckle fighting soaked their face in brine to toughen the skin. I boxed in CYO and Golden Gloves from age 12 to 16 and I am not ashamed to admit that I tried it. It didn't work. Mostly because I couldn't hold my breath that long. :) Might work on your hands though!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I read that boxers back in the days of bare-knuckle fighting soaked their face in brine to toughen the skin. I boxed in CYO and Golden Gloves from age 12 to 16 and I am not ashamed to admit that I tried it. It didn't work. Mostly because I couldn't hold my breath that long. :) Might work on your hands though!
Or I could just fix their screwups and be done with it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Well, I got to test the Kimber Stainless II 10mm I gave to little brother. It came back from Kimber a little while back but he immediately left on vacation. I picked it up this evening and only had to run one magazine through it to assess it.

Pictures uploaded out of order but there are 3 times the slide locked back mid magazine. It was literally, fire two rounds, slide would lock, rinse and repeat. Rounds 3,5 & 7.
Hand Bumper Finger Revolver Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Automotive design Shotgun Automotive exterior

Office supplies Pen Gadget Everyday carry Microphone

Air gun Trigger Eyewear Finger Gun barrel

Hand Finger Office supplies Rim Automotive design

Hand Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Muffler

Awesome right?

Good news is that it doesn’t ftf in the traditional sense anymore.

After fiddle farting around with it for a little while, I called little brother and got his permission to just fix it and get it over with. Problem was, if the rounds were forward in the mag, i.e. load your mag in a hurry, drop it or in this case, just the friction of stripping the round above it will send the next round forward to the front of the mag. The rounds would then engage the slide stop and lock it open.

Fix was to file the slide stop. You can see the two side in this pic that had to be filed.
Gesture Wood Wrist Thumb Everyday carry

I can now tap the mag on the table, sending all the rounds forward in the mag and it operates as it should. Why this wasn’t addressed, or addressed in the previous one I sent in twice, I have no idea.

Just makes me sad.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The Springfield was a bit rough. You could definitely tell it spent a good deal of time in a kydex holster. I will never understand why people do that to their guns but nonetheless, I left it at the auction house to be sold off with the rest.

So for the final (and unexpected) entry into the Kimber vs Springfield saga, I received the Kimber Stainless Raptor II in 45 ACP. Wow that’s a nice gun. I’ve handled on in the gun shop before but not to the extent I did today. This one was used, however, not by much. It did have a hairline idiot scratch which probably won’t even show in the pics. Has two hairline scratches in the slide which are very light, all 3 were due to improper handling of the slide stop during reassembly. It’s otherwise immaculate.

Trousers Photograph Air gun Black Trigger

Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel

Hand Drinkware Automotive lighting Finger Glass bottle
Automotive lighting Toy Wood Audio equipment Revolver

Hand Revolver Trigger Air gun Shotgun
White Font Gadget Bicycle part Metal

While I did not get to take the very first shots, I can say with complete confidence, the mag I just ran through it wasn’t far from the first. The feed ramp hadn’t even been scuffed yet. 230gr PPU range line ammo ran perfectly. The fit and finish are perfect. Trigger is light and crisp. In fact, the only downside to this gun that I can tell is the plastic main spring housing, which is a $35 fix off eBay.

The proprietary scale serrations on the slide and front strap are surprisingly very crisp and give you a very good grasp. That’s good because drawing the slide on this one is probably the heaviest draw of any 1911 I own, but it’s smooth. The scaled top of the slide is a nice touch. Does look cool.

The final note on the finish, no paint! That puts it at least 1 tier above the Rapide. Yeah, the Rapide has cool slide cutouts, colored barrels and flared magwell, but it’s 50% painted with Kimber’s Kimpro finish. It will fail at some point. The Raptor appears to be all stainless (except the MSH).

In my opinion, this is the nicest of the 11 1911’s reviewed so far. I just wish Kimber had a warranty service that matched it.

Edit: I did forget to mention that the Raptor II does have a tritium insert in the front sight, which is also a nice touch.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I can’t close this out without an honorable mention, so here is the curve ball. The Metro Arms American Classic II, 10mm, in hard chrome. I tested 3 Kimber Stainless II’s in 10mm throughout this thread. None I would consider were “ready to go out of the box”. One needed, and still is in, an extended breakin. By extended, I mean beyond 100 rounds. It is around 250 now and appears to be coming out of the breakin nicely.

Two went back to Kimber for failures to chamber. One went back twice, however, both needed a second trip had I not taken care of the slide stop myself. The American Classic II needed nothing but fed. No oil, no cleaning, just fed.

Now, this gun was new in box today, just as everything else except the Raptor. I already had a set of grips ready and waiting for it when it arrived. The group pictures so not give the gun’s finish it’s due credit.

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Wood Bicycle part Bicycle fork Metal Cylinder

Hand Wood Finger Bicycle part Gun barrel

The magazine that came with this gun left something to be desired, however, it did work when tested. No failures of any kind using the same S&B 180gr FMJ ammo tested in all 3 of the Kimber 10mm Stainless II’s.

Finish was very nicely done. Even the matte areas in person are so smooth that it almost looks painted on, but it’s not. It’s entirely hard chromed. No play whatsoever in the slide fitment, smooth action. The trigger does have a tiny bit of creep at the wall but it is very little and is as light and smooth as anything else I tested in this thread. It is also the only one with an oversized slide release which is pretty nice to have on the range.

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Kimber has the best warranty service in the industry IMO even tho you have had to return some pistols more than once.

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Where did you locate the new to you Raptor Custom...I assume it came in under a grand.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts