Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a new stainless II in 10mm. Nice gun, looks great, have not fired it yet. I purchased it locally and went to kimber website to “confirm purchase”, which I guess is registering it with them. Part of the process required me to pick the caliber from the list, and 10 mm was not there, only 9 and 45. It would not let me submit without picking one. I was curious if anyone else had purchased a stainless II in 10mm, and did you have the same problem with registering it with kimber.

·
Super Moderator
37,744 Posts
If you're referring to Kimbers website the Stainless Target Long Slide is the only model listed that comes in 10 mm.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're referring to Kimbers website the Stainless Target Long Slide is the only model listed that comes in 10 mm.
That’s interesting since I purchased the stainless II in 10mm. The manual is copyrighted 2020, so it is a fairly recent gun. Their website shows the stainless II in only 45 and 9.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s interesting since I purchased the stainless II in 10mm. The manual is copyrighted 2020, so it is a fairly recent gun. Their website shows the stainless II in only 45 and 9.
And it is a 5 inch barrel.

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
Post some good pics of that when you get it!

Reactions: Lesau and bad ninja

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
I may have caused some confusion. I purchased it locally and went to kimber website to “confirm purchase”, which I guess is registering it with them. Part of the process required me to pick the caliber from the list, and 10 mm was not there, only 9 and 45. It would not let me submit without picking one. I was curious if anyone else had purchased a stainless II in 10mm, and did you have the same problem with registering it with kimber.

Will post pics soon!
You should delete your first post and go with this post. It is WAY better, good information your issue is easily understood now!

Reactions: Lesau and bad ninja

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
Done! Took me awhile to figure out how to do it, thanks for the suggestion.
Cool! Ninja is correct, call Kimber explain issue like you did in post #6 they should be able to correct the warranty information.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased a new stainless II in 10mm. Nice gun, looks great, have not fired it yet. I purchased it locally and went to kimber website to “confirm purchase”, which I guess is registering it with them. Part of the process required me to pick the caliber from the list, and 10 mm was not there, only 9 and 45. It would not let me submit without picking one. I was curious if anyone else had purchased a stainless II in 10mm, and did you have the same problem with registering it with kimber.
I had the same problem and called Kimber. They told me not to worry as they only use this for information and marketing. The warranty is run off of the confirmed sale by the shop that sold the gun to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first trip to the range was not productive. I had 10mm from Sig sauer and Magtech. I had the factory magazine and two new Wilson combat. The sig hallow point ran the Magtech would not feed at all. I went home and cycled 100 Blazer round through with frequent failures. Cleaned it again and took it to the range this last weekend with much improved results. This time I ran 20 rounds of the sig ammo and 50 of the Blazer and 50 of Selier & Bellot.
there were still periodic failures to feed,but much improved. Hopefully my third time out will improve as much As it did from 1 to 2.

·
Super Moderator
37,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ratdog, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My first trip to the range was not productive. I had 10mm from Sig sauer and Magtech. I had the factory magazine and two new Wilson combat. The sig hallow point ran the Magtech would not feed at all. I went home and cycled 100 Blazer round through with frequent failures. Cleaned it again and took it to the range this last weekend with much improved results. This time I ran 20 rounds of the sig ammo and 50 of the Blazer and 50 of Selier & Bellot.
there were still periodic failures to feed,but much improved. Hopefully my third time out will improve as much As it did from 1 to 2.
I took mine to the range and had a much worse time than not productive. I could get the first round of the first mag to fire, but the second round was stuck at about a 30 degree angle going into the chamber. I cleared it, then got the next round to fire, and that was it. Nothing else would fire, every round got stuck at the same angle at the same place. I went home and field stripped it. Passed the plunk test, the round dropped freely from the upturned barrel, so the chamber appeared ok. I could not get a round to slide up under the extractor easily, it was a struggle to get it in there. So I assume the extractor is too tight and needs adjusting.

I went back to the lgs and explained what had taken place. They were convinced it was the magazine. They took it to their range and could get the first round to fire but nothing else. They tried a couple of other mags with the same results. They said it could not be the extractor because it worked that on time. Then he showed me it would load the first round, and he did it by releasing the slide with the slide stop. It fired but the next round would not load. They gave me the option of another gun (there was not another one in stock but he did not know that at the time), store credit, or send it back to kimber. I asked if it came back from kimber still not fixed, would they make it good. He said they would give me a store credit. So I had them send it to kimber. I could have done it myself but I think they may get a better result than me.

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
I believe Kimber will perform the same level of service regardless of who is sending the pistol in for repair!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the part of the story that I left out is that before I made my decision I went to my car and called kimber. The customer service person, who shall remain nameless, told me that I had to run 500 rounds thru it to break it in. I told him, again, that I couldn’t get one round per magazine to fire and therefore 500 rounds would be impossible. He again said the breakin was standard blah blah blah. I told him if that was his recommendation after hearing my issue then I needed to talk to his boss. He paused for a long time, then started asking for my info. I got concerned that after that he would somehow sabotage the whole thing. So, I told him to forget it, I would just return the gun to the store. I was just going to do that and get a store credit, but the salesman convinced me to let them send it to kimber and if it was not fixed to my satisfaction they would give me a store credit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kimber CS is quite good & they will thoroughly go over the gun. Just to give you a heads up it will take a couple of weeks back & forth.

·
Registered
106 Posts
[T]he Magtech would not feed at all.
. . . the second round was stuck at about a 30 degree angle going into the chamber.
Feeding problems can be very frustrating since there are so many possible reasons including a poorly fit extractor, barrel bump, incorrect feed ramp angle, burrs on the breechface, and on and on. We all expect that brand new 1911s will run 100% out of the box but this is not always the case given the reality of mass production and the business imperative of reducing manufacturing costs to increase profit.

If you're interested, a simple test to determine if the extractor is at fault is to remove the extractor, load one round into the magazine, seat the magazine, then allow the slide to go forward at full speed to see if the round chambers and the pistol returns to battery. Repeat the test with two rounds in the mag then three, then four, and so on. If all rounds chamber then the extractor is the cause of the problem.

A word of caution. Do not run the same cartridge through this test more than once because impact with the feed ramp will result in bullet set back. The more the bullet is pushed into the case the higher the pressure will be when the round is fired possibly resulting in damage to the pistol or the shooter. Do not use snap caps for this test as they do not have the same critical dimensions as live or dummy rounds.

You should always check to determine if barrel bump is present. Barrel bump occurs when the slide stop cross pin impacts the barrel's lower lugs rather than gliding into contact with the flats. It is not uncommon to find this condition especially among some manufacturers. Here are some examples of barrel bump all of which are very pronounced. Usually the bump starts out with just a light mark but as more and more rounds are fired the more obvious the damage becomes. The fix is to carefully remove the bump with a file without shortening the flats on which the slide stop cross pin rests.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts