Kimber Talk Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Third trip to the range. This time I was able to run about 100 rounds through it with a few FTF. After 100 it started becoming a problem so I stoppe, brought it home, cleaned and lubed it again. At this point actual down range discharges count is 250.

·
Registered
112 Posts
At this point actual down range discharges count is 250.
Personally, I'd be very curious to figure out what is the root cause of the malfunctions rather than simply attempting to make the pistol work by beating mis-fit pieces into submission through the use of live ammo. A new pistol that requires 500 factory rounds to be fired through it before it will function correctly is not my idea of a well manufactured piece of machinery.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Personally, I'd be very curious to figure out what is the root cause of the malfunctions rather than simply attempting to make the pistol work by beating mis-fit pieces into submission through the use of live ammo. A new pistol that requires 500 factory rounds to be fired through it before it will function correctly is not my idea of a well manufactured piece of machinery.

I agree with Steve 100%. I didn't fire 500 rounds thru ANY of my Kimber pistols for "break-in." I suppose I could have, but IMO they didn't need it, they functioned perfectly from the first round. Now most of them have had 400 rounds or more fired some way more than 1,000 but not due to needing to be broke in. Some purchased new in box, some like new in box, a couple well used. Some I cleaned and lubed before taking to the range, some all I did was (the horror) lube with some BreakFree CLP and blasted away malfunction free.
Did I get LUCKY seventeen times? Maybe, I don't know? Please note this post pertains to true 1911 Kimber's of various models Custom, Pro, Ultra's in .45acp and 9mm, some enter level and some very popular models.
No Micro's, Micro9's or Solo's were harmed during this time period.
Let Kimber or someone find out the problem with your firearm.

Reactions: Tinman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well Steve, I agree with you and will be talking with Kimber. Just to be clear I gently cycled rounds that worked and set aside ones that did not. The part that has kept me working with this is the fact that the Sig Sauer rounds feed with no issue and the misfeeds appear to be due to tight tolerance and the shape of the bullet. Also of note is there has been progressive improvement. Should I have to run 500 rounds through the gun to have it function as it should? hell no!
I want to be able to say to Kimber that I have followed their direction and made a good faith effort before and send it back and remind them of the liability this presents as a gun is something that should function as intended out of the box. This was purchased in advance of a planned fishing trip to Alaska this summer and at this point I would be foolish to trust my life with this gun against man or beast.
Kimber jam 1.jpg Kimber Jam2.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: the Kimber mow runs flawlessly. After may last trip to the range I brought the gun home fired stripped it, cleaned it and ever so gently and carefully used some mother mag and chrome polish on the inside of the bushing, the outside of the barrel, the guide rod, feed ramp, and chamber and a few other spots. I also debuted the hole in the trigger that bit my finger. No I did not use and power tools for any of this as you can do damage real fas that can’t be undone. Now the Kimber manual says to only lubricant the gun with F10 oil and maybe this makes sense for the first 100 to 200 rounds but I felt this gun needed some of my good slide grease is some strategic locations so I applied and went to the range. 150 rounds mixed mags and brands of ammo. 6 times I had it hesitation to go to full battery or need just the gentlest nudge and twice I had to drop the mag. Brought hame and repeated the process above and again it visited the range, this time there was no hesitation, failure to feed or anything else but I also hit the round count of 450. So did the round count make the difference or my polishing and lubricants or the combination of the two; I can’t say for sure but I am reasonably sure my work helped.

Happy shooting all.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
ALL of the above!!

·
Super Moderator
37,808 Posts
Kimbers owners manual:

LUBRICATION1. Use a High Tech Gun oil such as Shooters Choice FP-10 or similar quality oil (grease is not recommended). If oil contains Teflon be sure to shake well before using as the Teflon settles when left over nigh

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kimbers owners manual:

LUBRICATION1. Use a High Tech Gun oil such as Shooters Choice FP-10 or similar quality oil (grease is not recommended). If oil contains Teflon be sure to shake well before using as the Teflon settles when left over nigh
Yup I followed the manual used nothing but FP-10 until I fell back on my experience and used light amounts of grease in locations that won’t gum up the works and Fp-10 everywhere else. I would guess tha Kimbers thought on grease is two fold: 1 the oil will lube but not over lube and allow for the friction ware required to finish of the machining necessary to set the gun. Why I stated I see the reason for the first 100 to 200 rounds. 2nd some folks go crazy with oil and grease and get it into places that can foul up the works with build up.
At this point I don’t see any harm in light grease on the gun.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Well, the lgs called on Monday to let me know that they had received the gun from kimber, a less than 2 week turnaround. I was not able to go until today. When I got there I assumed there would be a letter describing what they had done. There was nothing indicating that they did anything, so I was somewhat unhappy. The gun was in the original box, and was in a plastic bubble wrap bag and was covered in the oily substance that new guns are covered in. Nothing else was in the box. The folks at the store didn’t know any more about it than me. So, I took it and went straight to the range. Cleaned it up and lubed it. It shoots great now, put 50 rounds of federal american Eagle fmj with zero problems. Would have shot more but didn’t want to spend that much money.

I did notice something new on the box, a sticker that said Monday April 19, 2021. Below that is a long number then a dash then the serial number then a dash then 1PS. Not sure what any of that means except possibly the day it was repaired? Regardless, I’m happy, it shoots good, kimber customer service did well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just received my Kimber back from Kimber on Wednesday and it was in its own box with an orange chamber plug in and I did have a statement of work completed with mine. However it wasn't in a bag and oiled when bought new. I think it may just be whichever gunsmith tends to your issue. Anyway back quick and it shooting great it all you could ask for so good for you my man. Shoot when you can but this ammo thing sure puts a hurting on getting it out to do.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts