Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Tacoma TRD 2006
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Stainless II back in the spring. I had a selection between two different stores a Ruger SR, a Sig, a SA Loaded and the Stainless II. After looking them all over carefully, frankly, the Kimber was better finsihed, smoother, better rounded edges, better trigger, tighter build and overall I liked it best. I really wanted to buy the Loaded since I alread had a Kimber PC II. But the Kimber was better. So I bought it. And it is a good shooter right out of the box. It is a tightly built gun so it will need some time but so far, it has not had any issues.

So, what is the "but"? Well, is it really all stainless? I read and see (www) indications that the barrel is not stainless steel. Now, this does not bother me exceptionally but I guess I was thinking it was. And, it looks like stainless steel and it has had a minor opportunity to rust once and did not so I do not know. I think it is stainless, it looks it, stainless has a slightly different appearance form chromo steel. So I am asking? It would not have changed my purchase decision at all, more curiosity than anything. Who can complain much about a 1911 type pistol that is acurate and shoots as good as this one does from the box.

And, I checked the spring housing and it is stainless steel. It is not plastic. My PC II is plastic but this Stainless II is stainless steel spring housing.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.25
  • Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 38
  • Length (inches): 8.7
  • Magazine capacity: 7
  • Recoil spring (pounds): 16.0
  • Full-length guide rod
FRAME
  • Material: Stainless steel
  • Finish: Satin Silver
  • Width (inches): 1.28
SLIDE
  • Material: Stainless steel
  • Finish: Satin Silver
  • Front serrations
BARREL
  • Length (inches): 5
  • Material: Steel, match grade
  • Stainless steel match grade bushing
  • Twist rate (left hand): 16
SIGHTS
  • Fixed low profile
  • Fiber optic front sight
  • Radius (inches): 6.8
GRIPS
  • Rosewood, with Kimber logo
TRIGGER
  • Aluminum, match grade
  • Factory setting (approximate pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

·
Registered
Tacoma TRD 2006
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I read the current spec sheet but regardless the barrel seems to be stainless steel. Either way, no big deal. Just curious as there seems to be confusion on several websites as to the actual material. Is the guide rod also not stainless?

3C

·
Registered
340 Posts
Kimber used to make quite a few of their barrels from carbon steel but all most all current production barrels are stainless. There is conflicting information between Kimbers website and their catalogs but I would venture to guess your barrel is stainless. One for sure way to find out is take some cold bluing solution to a spot on the underside of your barrel. If it doesn’t affect it in that spot, it’s stainless.

·
Registered
Tacoma TRD 2006
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kimber used to make quite a few of their barrels from carbon steel but all most all current production barrels are stainless. There is conflicting information between Kimbers website and their catalogs but I would venture to guess your barrel is stainless. One for sure way to find out is take some cold bluing solution to a spot on the underside of your barrel. If it doesn’t affect it in that spot, it’s stainless.

Good idea, thanks. So I did that and the barrel does not take bluing. So, I guess at least this one, for whatever, is stainless steel.

3C

·
Registered
197 Posts
And, I checked the spring housing and it is stainless steel. It is not plastic. My PC II is plastic but this Stainless II is stainless steel spring housing.
Congrats on the fine purchase. I was worried about the main spring housing myself. Mine hasn’t arrived yet. Good to know it’s steel.

Also doesn’t surprise me if the site is a little wrong. The one I ordered is in 10mm, new stock, but Kimber only lists it available in 9mm and 45, No 10mm. So, either I got a unicorn or the site is wrong.

·
Registered
Tacoma TRD 2006
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Congrats on the fine purchase. I was worried about the main spring housing myself. Mine hasn’t arrived yet. Good to know it’s steel.

Also doesn’t surprise me if the site is a little wrong. The one I ordered is in 10mm, new stock, but Kimber only lists it available in 9mm and 45, No 10mm. So, either I got a unicorn or the site is wrong.
I think you will love it.

As to the MSH being stainless, I had read all of the hype and it was indeed plastic on my Pro Carry II so I ordered a MSH from Wilson Combat for my Stainless II. So then I pull the pistol down to change it out and realize my foolishness, the MSH is stainless steel! Now what? So, I had ordered an alloy MSH for my Pro Carry but it simply did not fit, the grip safety just did not work with it. So, I pop the Wilson Combat MSH into my Pro Carry. Done! Yes, it gained a little weight in so doing, oh well. And, just to say it, the plastic main spring housing had a crack or tear in it above the pin and in some time far in the future might have failed. But, I suppose one would not discover that until the MSH were removed for a disassembly.

That spec sheets and catalogs and website have mistakes on them is expected. It is not deliberate or subterfuge, it is just copy and paste and lack of editing scrutiny.

James

·
Registered
15,328 Posts

Wouldn't be the first time the Kimber website had a boo-boo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts