Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first Kimber today. This is also my first 10 mm but not my first 1911. I also have a .45 Springfield and a 9 mm Wilson Combat. Anyway, this Kimber will not load a round from the magazine. Nor any of the 3 Kimber magazines I have. It jams at the point where the casing tries to enter the chamber. I suspect the chamber is unfinished. Just as a test I also tried to rack in a .40 round from the magazine and jammed just like the 10 mm's do.

When I take the barrel out I can drop a 10 mm round (Fiocchi 180 gr FMJTC) in but only if it's nearly parallel with the barrel. Any deviation of more than a few degrees and it hangs. It will fall out freely but there's no play in the fit. I has a gritty feel and sound when I pull it back out as the casing scrapes the sides.

Contrast this to my .45 Springfield where the round smoothly goes in and has just a hint of play in the fit. And in the 9 mm Wilson the round practically rattles around in the chamber.

Anyway, before contacting Kimber support, I wanted to see what people here had to say about my situation. I'll attach some pics below.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
KBriggs, welcome to the site from Tennessee.
Steve should be along with expert, detailed instructions for your problem.
I'm going to wild guess and say: barrel did not receive proper finish ream.
Since it is difficult to drop a round into the chamber by hand.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nasty looking chamber.

Just for fun, remove the extractor and see if you can feed a round from a fully loaded magazine. If it feeds then the extractor is the source of the problem. If it doesn't feed, the extractor is not the problem.

As 2sharp2 notes, it is not uncommon for manufacturers to leave out finish reaming as the final step. If the extractor isn't the problem I'd send it back to the mother ship and ask them to run a finish reamer through the chamber making sure that they also address the freebore (leade) to ensure it's in spec.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve should be along with expert, detailed instructions for your problem.
I'm going to wild guess and say: barrel did not receive proper finish ream.
Would that be Steve In Allentown? I see his post in this thread: Rapide 10mm Black Ice Feeding problems

I'm failing item 4 in his plunk test. The round drops in but it will not rotate with any pressure at all. I have to pinch it by the rim to rotate and even then only with zero downward pressure. Whereas the round in my .45 Springfield will rotate easily with my thumb and some downward pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for fun, remove the extractor and see if you can feed a round from a fully loaded magazine.
Ok, I removed the firing pin and extractor. I managed a couple of times to get a round chambered but even then only if I sling-shotted the slide and forced it forward. 90% it fails. Always fails just dropping the slide release. So yeah, sounds like a finish reaming issue.

·
Super Moderator
38,044 Posts
Welcome to the forum KBriggs, I suggest you give Kimbers Customer service a call and explain the problem you're having.

Customer Service

888-243-4522
M–F, 9:30 a.m.– 6 p.m. Eastern

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got an RMA this morning and a free UPS return label so it's on its way to Troy Alabama. I'll update this thread when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Got an RMA this morning and a free UPS return label so it's on its way to Troy Alabama. I'll update this thread when I get it back.
You'll have it back in two weeks and it will run great.
Kimber CS has a spectacular track record.

·
Registered
30 Posts
KBriggs
I recently bought a Kimber Stainless LW 45. Mine functioned and shot well. However my bore was in bad shape. I have a thread about it. My entire inner surface of bore was a rust color. I used strong cleaners and brushed and it made no difference. I noticed rust looking as if it was starting on the legs the link is pinned to. I called Kimber i think it was April 20th got my RMA and shipped it. I received it back on April 28. Literally 8 total days from time it left my house and it was back. Their report said they cleaned rust from barrel, reamed chamber, polished feed ramp, refinished barrel, replaced slide stop, inspected and shot it. I received it and cleaned and seen that color was gone from inside my bore. The barrel was highly and I do mean highly refinished, and polished. It looked like it was suppose to. Shoots great and functions great. One guys mentioned it could have been rust from setting in a damp warehouse a long time before I bought it. Only explanation if have for a brand new gun. I honestly thought it had to be a step they missed when fitting barrel with the finishing and reaming. My point to you is this: Don't worry they will make it right. And it won't take long. That is fastest turnaround I've ever had I think on anything ive ever sent back to a factory for repair. That label they gave you should been a 1 day air to them with tracking and they sent mine back 2 day air with tracking. My rep at Kimber was Jose Santini and was the the best. Good guy to talk to also. Kimber makes thing right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kimber makes thing right.
I hope so but this should have never gotten passed quality control to begin with. I was already miffed at Kimber because I originally wanted a 10mm Rapide. I ordered (and paid for) one in April of 2020. Last November my dealer's Kimber rep told him it would be another "2 or 3 weeks". After 53 weeks and numerous unanswered queries in their social media feeds, I finally gave up and cancelled the order even though I was locked in at great price. It had been so long my dealer had to mail me a check (which I'm still waiting on) because it was too late to refund my credit card. I was close to buying a cheap Rock Island Armory 10mm when I saw this Stainless Target LS at guns.com and it was the only 10mm Kimber in stock anywhere on the internet, so I snatched it immediately. And then it can't even chamber a round. So Kimber's got one last chance with me to make things right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that was quick. Got the gun back exactly 7 days from when I shipped it. I figured they only had time to swap out the barrel for a new one but according to the work order they "adjusted extractor, refinished barrel, chamber reamed, polished feed ramp, and fired 4 mags of American Eagle 180gr FMJ 10mm". And sure enough, it appears to be fixed. I dry cycled a mag of Fiocchi through it without any issues. And it now passes the pluck and spin test. I won't get a chance to fire it until late next week, however. Before and after picture below. Note the lighting in my garage made it look gold this time but it's the same color as before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took it to the range together and fired a box of Fiocchi 180gr through it. No malfunctions at all except the factor mag would not lock the slide open after the last round. The two Kimber mags I bought myself worked fine. Putting them side by side, I cannot tell the difference between any of them except for the black mark I put on the bottom of the factory mag. The followers all look the same, nothing bent. When I insert that mag into an empty gun and manually rack the slide, it does lock back. Just not during live fire.

·
Registered
119 Posts
. . . the factor[y] mag would not lock the slide open after the last round.
Try this. Remove the recoil spring. Seat the bad mag. Slowly pull the slide rearward until the slide stop pops up and engages the slide. Do the same thing with one of the good mags. Take note of any difference in the way the two slide stops pop up. If the slide stop doesn't snap into position with authority with the bad mag as compared to the good mag, you might be able to solve that problem by putting a brand new spring mag spring in the bad mag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the slide stop doesn't snap into position with authority with the bad mag as compared to the good mag
They all seem to act the same to me. I also put a Timney trigger gauge on each one and pulled the follower down a quarter inch and all three registered about 3.5 lbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts