Kimber Talk Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If I remember right someone was trying to produce a flat wire recoil spring kit for an Ultra. Did it not work out?

·
Super Moderator
37,808 Posts
Skip, I believe that was EGW, and their first version was FUBAR. I think their latest version uses a flat wire spring.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Chuck. Has anyone used this flat spring kit yet?
I have not had to change the spring in my Ultra yet, but I changed the spring in my Eclipse Pro to a Wilson flat wire. Did he say what kind of ammo he was using? IE.. Steel, aluminum, brass.. I know my Aegis, or Eclipse is not aluminum or steel case case friendly... Just a thought..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don’t ride the slide. Let it slap shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have the same problem with my new ultra carry 45 , and i don't ride the slide just got it new at cabela's it also stovepipes when I put in a fresh mag and release the slide.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have the same problem with my new ultra carry 45 , and i don't ride the slide . . .
The OP solved the problem by switching ammo. Have you tried a different brand of ammo yet?

it also stovepipes when I put in a fresh mag and release the slide.
Where is the case rim when this malfunction occurs?

If it is under the slide then you're experiencing a bolt-over-base malfunction.

Live round stovepipes (a.k.a. bolt-over-base malfunctions) are often caused by a mismatch between the strength of the recoil spring and the strength of the magazine spring The fix is to slow the forward speed of the slide (lighter recoil spring) and/or replacing the magazine spring with a new stronger one.

Answer the question I posed and we'll know for sure if it is indeed a bolt-over-base malfunction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The OP solved the problem by switching ammo. Have you tried a different brand of ammo yet?

Where is the case rim when this malfunction occurs?

If it is under the slide then you're experiencing a bolt-over-base malfunction.

Live round stovepipes (a.k.a. bolt-over-base malfunctions) are often caused by a mismatch between the strength of the recoil spring and the strength of the magazine spring The fix is to slow the forward speed of the slide (lighter recoil spring) and/or replacing the magazine spring with a new stronger one.

Answer the question I posed and we'll know for sure if it is indeed a bolt-over-base malfunction.
Yes under the slide part of the time other times it just don't close All the way lacking about 1/4 inch . I use factory fmj and I don't buy cheap ammo the least expensive I ever buy is Federal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes under the slide part of the time other times it just don't close All the way lacking about 1/4 inch . I use factory fmj and I don't buy cheap ammo the least expensive I ever buy is Federal
You would think as expensive as Kimber is they would at least test fire every firearm to make sure it fires properly

·
Registered
997 Posts
You would think as expensive as Kimber is they would at least test fire every firearm to make sure it fires properly
They do.
But sometimes shit happens when you sell.morw 1911s than any other US company.
Kimbers aren't expensive.
Kimbers are actually quite reasonable for a US made 1911.
Price a comparable Colt or Dan Wesson.
Kimber also has a stellar CS, and they handle issues very quickly.
Ultras are IMHO the best 3 inch 1911 pistol made.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes under the slide part of the time other times it just don't close All the way lacking about 1/4 inch.
Let's treat these as two separate problems.

Under the slide indicates a bolt-over-base malfunction. The slide is coming forward faster than the magazine spring can push the stack of rounds up under the feed lips to be engaged properly by the onrushing slide. Instead, the slide contacts the top round ahead of the rim and pushes it out of the magazine. As soon as the round is out of the magazine the base of the round goes down, the nose of bullet goes up, and voila, a vertical live round stovepipe.

The simplest thing to try is a new magazine. I recommend Tripp or Wilson. I hope I'm right that your pistol uses Officer size mags.

If a new mag does not solve the bolt-over-base malfunction, I would install an EGW flat wire recoil kit with a 2lb lighter than standard recoil spring, I would fit an EGW flat bottom firing pin stop, and I would replace the 23lb mainspring with a Wolff 25lb mainspring.

------

The slide not closing all the way probably indicates the chamber was not finish reamed correctly although it could also indicate the extractor was not properly fit.

My advice is to solve the bolt-over-base malfunction first then address the failure-to-return-to-battery issue.

------

On the other hand, you could ask Kimber to try to fix it for you. If the chamber needs to be finish reamed, you'll want them to do it anyway.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Ultra's use "Compact" or Officer labeled, sized magazines.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts