Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys & Gals,

What are all the differences between a Kimber & a Kimber II models?

Is one necessarily better than the other? Which is your choice & why?

I appreciate the help & any comments that you may have or personal opinions.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving,

BCD 45

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
BCD, the only real difference between the two is any Kimber with "II" in the rollmark has the Swartz FP safety system. Otherwise the two models are identical, just that internal firing pin safety on the II models. I have both and really can't tell any difference in trigger characteristics. The 'non-II' guns sometimes are called Series I, but it's only an moniker, not official.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick,

That's what I kind of thought but just wanted to make sure. Was the Swartz system designed mostly for accidental drops & discharges?
What I wasn't sure about is if it changes the feel of the trigger or not - meaning smoother - and/or heavier or lighter trigger pull weights. Thanks bud!

BCD 45

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
@BCD 45 Rick nailed it. I have both, never had a problem with either version and I can close my eyes and dry fire both regular and Series II and can’t tell any difference in the triggers.
I think the controversy started from the internet and Bubba‘s tinkering with the Swartz system and f’ed it up by not knowing what they were doing.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arland - QJI - Many thanks to both of you!

@Rick in Oregon - @2sharp2 - On Kimber Pro 1911's, in particular a .45 Aegis Elite, if you have a really good gunsmith that specializes in 1911's can a Kimber be made safe with a 3# trigger? I myself am qualified & used to shooting light triggers in nearly all my firearms.

Thanks guys,

BCD 45

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
Arland - QJI - Many thanks to both of you!

@Rick in Oregon - @2sharp2 - On Kimber Pro 1911's, in particular a .45 Aegis Elite, if you have a really good gunsmith that specializes in 1911's can a Kimber be made safe with a 3# trigger? I myself am qualified & used to shooting light triggers in nearly all my firearms.

Thanks guys,

BCD 45
The best safety sits on top of everyone’s shoulders. I think a 3# trigger could be safe.

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
If it's really a problem, remove the rear sight, remove the firing block and block spring, and you should be happy.

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
But the original Kimbers were series 70 pistols which is mechanically simpler. Many 1911 snobs prefer series 70, but the vast majority of shooters can't really tell any trigger difference in a blind test.
I think some pistols from 1997-2000 may have also had Swartz safety system.. Beginning in 2001 the Series II they call it the “Kimber Firing Pin Safety System” Incorporated into some models. About 50% of Kimbers since 2002 have been Series II.
Font Material property Publication Handwriting Paper

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I think some pistols from 1997-2000 may have also had Swartz safety system.. Beginning in 2001 the Series II they call it the “Kimber Firing Pin Safety System” Incorporated into some models. About 50% of Kimbers since 2002 have been Series II. View attachment 134081
Yep I had a Classic in stainless bought in the early 90s which was a terrific shooter which was a Series 70 configuration. It had only the thumb and grip safeties. Sadly I sold it 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
“Never underestimate the power of der Swartz!!!”~ Yogurt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts