Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been discussed already but I wasn鈥檛 there. 馃榿

Which is less harmful to your pistol finish, broken in leather or kydex?

I put broken in leather because I know brand new leather is hard on gun finishes.

I鈥檓 thinking leather would be easier on your leather once it鈥檚 broken in.

Registered
Interesting topic. I use both Kydex and leather on all my guns. I've noticed more wear from the Kydex.

That being said..I returned the slide of my Micro 9 Rapide because of finish issues. It has only seen a leather holster. The C S rep at Kimber asked me what I holstered it in and then indicated the leather holster may have caused the wear. The fact that the majority of Rapide owners are having wear issues indicates to me that the Rapide finish is fragile. I asked if they could refinish the slide in their standard silver to which he agreed. Haven't received it back yet so we shall see.

Registered
No matter what you carry in, if you practice like you should holster draws and splits on target. Kydex or Leather is no different. Both will wear the finish off. Me, I really don鈥檛 care, it鈥檚 a tool and it gives it character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Endless long standing debate which will never be a clear answer to!

Leather.

Reactions: Argee and bad ninja

Registered
Kydex for fantastic plastic.
Leather for metal framed.

Registered
New leather is hard on gun finishes? Huh. Didn't know that.

But if a gun is going to be carried or used, it's going to show wear. I like top-tier leather holsters, and I've never seen a kydex holster that is nearly as good for concealed carry. If I wanted a tactical rig, then plastic is the way I'd go.

Registered
Wood Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

Wood Everyday carry Rectangle Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Handgun holster Auto part Font Fashion accessory
Brown Bag Sunglasses Everyday carry Eyewear

For the record. I am not a fan or proponent of Kydex.
Be it polymer, steel, or anything in between鈥y sidearms gravitate to leather; and not that third-world crap either. However鈥鈥檓 not an irrational Kydex hater either. I own a few plastic holsters. They work well and do NOT contribute to any additional wear to my firearms. So, use that which gives you the greater lever of joy and comfort.
Shoe Handgun holster Bag Luggage and bags Everyday carry

Handgun holster Sleeve Wood Everyday carry Personal protective equipment

1 - 9 of 9 Posts