Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to show the 460R LS a little lov'in and scrap off all the add-on's: compensator and red dot. Its been a very satisfying build and although I havent taken a deer with it, I've enjoyed the occasional "WTF is that cannon your hunting with?" Its running like a champ and shoots minute-of-deer as long as I remember its a 460 and give it the death grip. Because of arthritis and CTS I'm re-evaluating its place in the safe to more of a future heirloom for the grandson. I think its got all the elements needed to pass it along to another generation: fairly unique, a head-turner at the range, runs nice & built by grandpa. It will be in good company to Dads M1 Garand. So anyways...to the point.
I want to do some personalization in the form of laser engraving of the slide and grips. The flats on one side are clean and the other side has the Kimber logo. I have absolutely no reason to remove the logo except to gain the real estate needed to have the same engraving on both sides. Another words, whether it was a Colt, Dan Wesson or Kimber is not as important (to me) as the personlization. Does anyone have input as to how deep the logo might be? Visually it doesnt look too deep, but that could be deceiving. I'm also considering a smaller/different location for the logo. Your thoughts guys.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Nice pistol for sure. I'd do the engraving around the logo, having it in the center of the design, but that's just me. IMO, the engraving doesn't need to be matched on each side, better to have each side just a bit different and more interesting.

Good luck on the project, and be sure to post pics when she's finished.

·
Administrator
40,105 Posts
I'm with Rick on the engraving, I'd leave the logo on the slide and just work around it. If you can still comfortably shoot a .45, I'd continue to use the gun rather than turn it into a safe queen. I built my .460 on a Custom Two Tone but shoot more .45 with it than I do .460.

This picture was before I put the red dot on it.
Table Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
I'm in 100% agreement with Rick and Chuck about working around the Kimber logo. I was thinking just because you don't care about the logo way down the road a future buyer MIGHT care that the artistic engraving worked around and incorporated the logo into the finished product. But that's just me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good input guys! You've all convinced me to work around the logo. I was thinking that would be the safest route.
+1 on both sides not needing to match. I'm looking at engraving the family motto: "Aut Vincere Aut Mori". So I suppose that could be on one side and its meaning on the other side: "To Conquer or to Die". Hmm, I definitely could make that work. I'm also looking at doing the coat of arms on the grips. Time to break out the crayolas and put my 40 years of design experience to good use!

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Agree no need to match sides my Montefeltro Silver has different outdoor scenes on it.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Thanks! Sorry I was to lazy to post pics.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice job Oklahomabound. I'm thinking of taking the pattern in a little different direction. Since the name is Irish, I thought a celtic knot, or chainmail pattern could be a nice touch...if done correctly.
Rectangle Font Art Pattern Symmetry
Art Font Material property Symmetry Monochrome

·
Registered
14,879 Posts

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Very nice job Oklahomabound. I'm thinking of taking the pattern in a little different direction. Since the name is Irish, I thought a celtic knot, or chainmail pattern could be a nice touch...if done correctly. View attachment 128265 View attachment 128266
It's your pistol and you should do you. Now to me I think the old saying "less is more." IMO I think some of the patterns above would be (to busy). Why not utilize your 40 years of design experience and come up with your own unique design.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
771 Posts
Years ago, when I was stationed at Reese Air Force Base, outside of Lubbock, Texas, I got to know the owner of one of the local gun shops. In fact, I dropped quite a bit of money there. But, to the point, he had a friend, who worked in the shop. Not as a smith, but as an engraver. Frank was one of the best, greatest artisans I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. No such thing as, "laser" engraving. He did it all by hand and chisel. He did everything. Gold and silver inlay was common for him. Extremely intricate designs were every day occurrences. Years later, I was very pleased to find he had been recognized by one of the leading gun magazines. My point. If you are going to do it. If you really want to leave an heirloom, find an artist and have it done right.
Sleeve Font Motor vehicle Newspaper Gun barrel

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
@pbsdaddy, Very smart advice. The dual Ruger's look amazing!

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, even scroll engraving not done correctly is too busy. Its all about scale, composition, balance and a whole bunch of other design speak I wont bore you with. You are absolutely spot-on 2sharp2: "less is more"...more or less. Or put another way: keep it simple stupid. I posted those patterns a bit too large (understatement). They would be scaled way down and be more representative of a functional texture on the grips and integrated with the coat of arms. A close look at the grip texture would show the celtic pattern. More of a backdrop for the coat of arms.
I'm working on some visual mock-ups and will post them soon. I'd be very interested in all your honest comments. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts