Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Years ago, when I was stationed at Reese Air Force Base, outside of Lubbock, Texas, I got to know the owner of one of the local gun shops. In fact, I dropped quite a bit of money there. But, to the point, he had a friend, who worked in the shop. Not as a smith, but as an engraver. Frank was one of the best, greatest artisans I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. No such thing as, "laser" engraving. He did it all by hand and chisel. He did everything. Gold and silver inlay was common for him. Extremely intricate designs were every day occurrences. Years later, I was very pleased to find he had been recognized by one of the leading gun magazines. My point. If you are going to do it. If you really want to leave an heirloom, find an artist and have it done right.
Did he do the grips also? Those are outstanding.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes, even scroll engraving not done correctly is too busy. Its all about scale, composition, balance and a whole bunch of other design speak I wont bore you with. You are absolutely spot-on 2sharp2: "less is more"...more or less. Or put another way: keep it simple stupid. I posted those patterns a bit too large (understatement). They would be scaled way down and be more representative of a functional texture on the grips and integrated with the coat of arms. A close look at the grip texture would show the celtic pattern. More of a backdrop for the coat of arms.
I'm working on some visual mock-ups and will post them soon. I'd be very interested in all your honest comments. Thanks!
odds are, whoever is going to do the engraving, probably will have an opinion or two... ...and I would listen to them...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Did he do the grips also? Those are outstanding.
I'm going to say yes. Although I have no direct knowledge, with that particular set. I do know, he was very good with Micarta, so my informed guess is, yes, they are his work and they are micarta, not ivory.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts