Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got my first 1911 in 45 acp last year, Kimber Raptor Pro II that I absolutely love and carry everyday. I just sold my last Glock 19 and want to replace that with a Kimber 1911 in 9mm. What 9mm 1911 models have you had good luck with and would recommend? I plan to continue to carry my Pro Raptor II in .45 but want to pair that with a Kimber in 9mm. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Hey, nice shooting 👍🏻

If I'm remembering correctly on Kimber 1911 options, the Ultras are the smallest (3" barrels) Pros are next (4" barrels) and the Custom models (5" barrels). For example an Eclipse Custom has a 5" barrel an Ultra Eclipse has a 3" barrel. Don't get confused by the "CustomShop" stamp on many models it's a marketing thing. Any models referred to as compact have a shorter grip. I think that may be what your looking for? I'm not sure that there are any of those still in production you'll need to look through the Kimber site on that.

Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I was just looking at the current 9mm lineup and I would say CDP, Raptor or if you want optics I would say Aegis Elite.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I was just looking at the current 9mm lineup and I would say CDP, Raptor or if you want optics I would say Aegis Elite.
Did you notice if there were any "compact" models?

My suggestions would be:

Eclipse PRO HD

Super Carry PRO HD

PRO TLE Stainless

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Could well be the "compact" and HD versions were only offered in .45? A glance at the Gun Broker listings showed slim pickings for Kimber 1911 9mms. I didn't notice any of the nicer models in PRO or Ultra just full size offerings.

...tons of 9mm Micros though.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi all,

I got my first 1911 in 45 acp last year, Kimber Raptor Pro II that I absolutely love and carry everyday. I just sold my last Glock 19 and want to replace that with a Kimber 1911 in 9mm. What 9mm 1911 models have you had good luck with and would recommend? I plan to continue to carry my Pro Raptor II in .45 but want to pair that with a Kimber in 9mm. Thoughts?

Kimber "Pro" models are "Commander sized".
The Kimber website shows 9 models of Pro sized 1911s available in 9mm.
Internally are basically the same, so any of them should be good to go. The differences are mostly cosmetic.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If your looking for a Carry gun I would go the cheaper route and just get the Two Tone Pro Carry in 9mm. Mine has served me well with thousands of rounds down range. Only change I made was a Wilson Recoil Spring and guide rod kit. ((Ran fine with factory spring also) and some Hogue laser grips. Should be able to pick one up around $750 new.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I had the same conundrum. The Fix?

Get one in "Custom" size (5"), one in "Pro" or Commander size (4") and an "Ultra" (3") as I ended up doing. I have a Kimber in .45 and 9mm in each barrel/frame size, and that gives me the entire spectrum of configurations for range, carry, or hunting that virtually covers any 'want' or 'need' that comes to mind. Besides, we really can't ever have TOO many guns, right?

Disclaimer: My three Ultra's get the most use....carry/range/practice. My Aegis Elite Custom 9mm w/optic is the cats meow for coyotes and other vermin out the truck window while in the outback. A five inch gun is a bit much for carry, but in the truck with the optic, it's amazing in 9mm as to what it can and does do at extended range....like 100 yards and a tad over. Believe it, my crew was just as amazed as I was when they saw me busting a dog-sized rock at 232 yards with it. Wrist rest with a window bag opens up an entire new venue for a 5" 9mm.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
On the Kimber Firearms website under Topic "9mm 1911's" offering (28) models. For you not exactly a match but a Stainless Raptor Pro 9mm is available. Several entry level and fancy exterior models available. I've had success with several 9mm Kimber offerings, a Sapphire Pro 9mm great accurate pistol I sold to @Snowtao cause she wanted it worse than I did. A Sapphire Ultra 9mm fancy but accurate reliable shooter. A Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm bought used very accurate and reliable paid 600 bucks for it. Most recent 9mm pickup was one everyone on KT wanted but didn't buy. I bought the bundle from Gunny a Stainless Raptor Custom 9mm that had a threaded barrel already fitted and came with 4 Nighthawk magazines and 4 Wilson Combat magazines. It was taken direct to my gunsmith for some upgrades and is not back home yet. I was wanting and had been searching for a Aegis Elite Pro 9mm to add a threaded barrel to but after almost 2 years of looking for one I put that idea on the back burner and bought the full size Raptor that already had a TFS barrel.
In your case today I would be looking to purchase a 1. Aegis Elite Pro 9mm, 2. KHX Pro 9mm, 3. Stainless Raptor Ultra 9mm you should consider...

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
I had the same conundrum. The Fix?

Get one in "Custom" size (5"), one in "Pro" or Commander size (4") and an "Ultra" (3") as I ended up doing. I have a Kimber in .45 and 9mm in each barrel/frame size, and that gives me the entire spectrum of configurations for range, carry, or hunting that virtually covers any 'want' or 'need' that comes to mind. Besides, we really can't ever have TOO many guns, right?

Disclaimer: My three Ultra's get the most use....carry/range/practice. My Aegis Elite Custom 9mm w/optic is the cats meow for coyotes and other vermin out the truck window while in the outback. A five inch gun is a bit much for carry, but in the truck with the optic, it's amazing in 9mm as to what it can and does do at extended range....like 100 yards and a tad over. Believe it, my crew was just as amazed as I was when they saw me busting a dog-sized rock at 232 yards with it. Wrist rest with a window bag opens up an entire new venue for a 5" 9mm.
Rick, man it would be nice to have a "can" on that 5 incher for inside the truck firing!!

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Rick, man it would be nice to have a "can" on that 5 incher for inside the truck firing!!
Right you are.....been giving that some thought lately. My son, grandson and about all my friends have cans on everything imaginable, so it could very well be in the cards for this hold-out.

...I can recommend a Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP... It is on the night stand next to our bed.
Agree, that was my very first Kimber 1911, still have it and shoot/carry it often in rotation with the 9mm model. A pic of the pair just for fun.

The .45 on the bottom has the old Kimber Carry-Melt treatment. Much better for carry, especially when it's directly compared to the newer 9mm version at the top of the pic. Same model, but quite different over a few year production span.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

[IMG alt="swkohnle08"]https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/d94bbf30caec15914de2ed46c467e38e?s=96[/IMG]
swkohnle08
Nice shooting there buddy. You'll love the nine version, especially for those extended range sessions. Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I just acquired a Stainless Ultra II Carry in 9mm...it's exponentially larger than my Micro 9 but looks like it will be a great IWB carry gun with the right holster. Once I get it vetted I plan on doing just that.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
@rick you should go ahead and get the Tax Stamp ball rolling. You have to wait so I recommend buying more than one silencer at the same time. The first time I got .308, .45, .22lr cans. The second time I got .9mm and another .22lr can. You can of course use a .45 can on a 9mm if you desire.
Note: I use the 22 cans more than anything else.

Reactions: stockmaker

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
@rick you should go ahead and get the Tax Stamp ball rolling. You have to wait so I recommend buying more than one silencer at the same time. The first time I got .308, .45, .22lr cans. The second time I got .9mm and another .22lr can. You can of course use a .45 can on a 9mm if you desire.
Note: I use the 22 cans more than anything else.
Rumor has it that the new e form 4 will only take a few months (like 4 months).

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Rumor has it that the new e form 4 will only take a few months (like 4 months).
That would be awesome and if true I would be tempted to purchase another .22 can.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just acquired a Stainless Ultra II Carry in 9mm...it's exponentially larger than my Micro 9 but looks like it will be a great IWB carry gun with the right holster. Once I get it vetted I plan on doing just that.
Milt Sparks SS 2 comfortable & conceals well
well made. Just ordered one for my Pro Carry

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts