Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I installed a set of Trijicon HD night sights on my M&P45. When I removed the old sights I noticed the striker block spring was bent at the top. The rear sight holds this spring down. This was a part that came with Apex trigger kit. Apex doesn’t list the spring as a separate part. It comes in a kit. I emailed Apex because I wanted to see if they would sell just the spring and they said send your address and we will send you a new spring. That was great so I sent my information. After a month, the spring never came and I sent another email. I still haven’t heard back. Finally I just ordered the plunger/spring kit on eBay. The kit came yesterday.

Originally, I installed the sights with this broken spring to see what would happen until the new spring came in. This kit was originally installed by a gunsmith. After the old spring and sight were installed I did the striker block function test and it failed. Gun would fire but the the striker block safety wasn’t working.

This gun has been like this for years. I carry this gun when I go hunting. It’s a little scary that the gunsmith let this go but thankfully, I never had an accident. I went to a gunsmith because I didn’t know much about this gun or any guns at the time.

This morning I removed the rear sight and installed the new safety plunger and spring. Function test performed perfectly and the sights are aligned.

Btw, these Trijicon sights are really nice, very bright at night. I haven’t shot with them yet but I think I’m going to like them. If I like them they may be my new go to sight when I need replacements for other guns.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Thankfully caught the problem and got it up to spec. Brings several of those old adages about never trusting a safety to mind huh...
Out of curiosity and as a PSA, how do you function test a block safety on a striker fired pistol anyways?

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankfully caught the problem and got it up to spec. Brings several of those old adages about never trusting a safety to mind huh...
Out of curiosity and as a PSA, how do you function test a block safety on a striker fired pistol anyways?
On this gun the is a plunger that mounts under the rear sight. It goes through to the frame. With the slide removed you can see the button under the slide. You push up the button/safety plunger and now you can push the striker forward and you will see the pin stick out where it hit the primer. If the button isn’t depressed, the striker won’t move forward.

There is a video you can watch from Apex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts