Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first new Kimber SS Gold Match II and I think I ran into my first problem. I have not even shot it yet. When I go to load the magazine it gets hung up about three quarters in, on what looks to be the internal edge of the magazine release. I have not dis-assembled the gun yet and I have not called Kimber support yet, I've been thinking about it. My friend and I first tried to figure it out thinking that you need to have a loaded magazine for it to slide fully into the weapon. We loaded the magazine and it still hangs up. The only way to get it to load completely is the depress the mag release button again. This would definitely slow down my re-load times. Any ideas? I hope it's a simple fix. :confused:

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
Do you feel resistance and then it will fully seat. Sometimes it takes a firm slap to fully seat a magazine. That is normal.
If it won't insert fully even with a good firm push, then there could be a problem.

A new mag release spring may be needed?

I had one that got stuck about half way in and it turned out that when the magazine was fully loaded it was cracked at the top near the feed lips. You couldn't see any cracks unless it had 8 rounds in it.

Or I could be off base?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some mags have a small bevel at the top right side of the tube that contacts the mag catch and allows easier insertion. Check-Mate has the bevel.

As 2sharp2 mentioned, you can replace the mag spring with a lighter one from Wolff. If you use too light of a spring the mag may fall out during firing. Luckily, Wolff sells an assortment pack so you can experiment with spring weights to find the one that works best for you.

You can also carefully reshape and polish the mag catch below the magazine shelf to ease the insertion. You must be careful not to reduce the width of the shelf itself. To help you visualize what's happening, "paint" the slide stop with blue Sharpie then repeatedly attempt to seat the magazine. Contact between the magazine and the mag catch will wear off the Sharpie. Filing, sanding, and/or polishing the contact area with an eye toward reducing the angle will reduce the force necessary to seat the mag.

Try a weaker spring first. If that doesn't work, do the filing, sanding, and/or polishing.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Six, if you're not familiar with auto-pistols, and the 1911 in particular, what you're experiencing may be normal.

Whenever I insert a full mag into any of my pistols, I always depress the mag release button just to make insertion easier. It's just part of living with the beast. In a 'combat' situation inserting a reload magazine, the extra effort to bump it into place would never even be realized in 'the heat of battle'.

The hang-up you're experiencing is a no biggie and normal. Just depress the button each time and the problem will cease to exist.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. I think Rick is probably correct. The mag just comes to an abrupt stop when I go to insert three quarters of the way, but proceeds easily the rest of the way once I push the mag release button. I wasn't sure if this was normal. I watched a YouTube video of an IDPA match where someone was using my same gun. He didn't appear to get hung up as he was reloading, that's why I got suspicious of my gun. Yes, I have locked the slide back while reloading the mag and have used different magazines from different manufacturers but the same outcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow-up. I called the Kimber customer service today and Joe told me that this magazine hang-up was normal for new guns. It takes a little breaking in but the first few times you have to slap it pretty hard. So I tried it and it worked. After a few times it seemed to get easier. Sorry for me being so dumb. This is my first 1911 and my other pistols are different. Still very happy with my Kimber. Even happier knowing there is nothing wrong with it. I just ordered some new LokGrip Spec Ops grips to personalize it. They should be here in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
Do you feel resistance and then it will fully seat. Sometimes it takes a firm slap to fully seat a magazine. That is normal.
If it won't insert fully even with a good firm push, then there could be a problem.

A new mag release spring may be needed?

I had one that got stuck about half way in and it turned out that when the magazine was fully loaded it was cracked at the top near the feed lips. You couldn't see any cracks unless it had 8 rounds in it.

Or I could be off base?
Follow-up. I called the Kimber customer service today and Joe told me that this magazine hang-up was normal for new guns. It takes a little breaking in but the first few times you have to slap it pretty hard. So I tried it and it worked. After a few times it seemed to get easier. Sorry for me being so dumb. This is my first 1911 and my other pistols are different. Still very happy with my Kimber. Even happier knowing there is nothing wrong with it. I just ordered some new LokGrip Spec Ops grips to personalize it. They should be here in a couple of weeks.
That's what I said! Hey I got something right!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I called the Kimber customer service today and Joe told me that this magazine hang-up was normal for new guns. It takes a little breaking in but the first few times you have to slap it pretty hard.
Un-huh. If you ever want to dip your toe into amatuer 'smithing by tweaking that magazine catch, "Surface A" is the area I was referencing previously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input. I think Rick is probably correct. The mag just comes to an abrupt stop when I go to insert three quarters of the way, but proceeds easily the rest of the way once I push the mag release button. I wasn't sure if this was normal. I watched a YouTube video of an IDPA match where someone was using my same gun. He didn't appear to get hung up as he was reloading, that's why I got suspicious of my gun. Yes, I have locked the slide back while reloading the mag and have used different magazines from different manufacturers but the same outcome.
I am experiencing the same thing. Haven't yet shot the gun. The mag slid in fine until after I practiced field stripping (and let's not even broach THAT subject). But I am hesitant to slam this mag home with brute force, as was suggested. It isn't merely resisting, it is hitting a wall. If I force it, no good will come of it, I am sure. And I have to take exception with whoever said all this is normal with a 1911, and I'd simply have to get used to depressing the mag release to reload. Uh uh. That's a quick way of getting dead. Any manufacturer who built a gun like that wouldn't survive the very first wrongful death litigation. And Kimber, at over $1200 for this gun, if you don't count the $300 in ammo for 'break-in' - well, I'm betting they didn't build such a fine gun to make reloading a three-handed affair. Imho.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I am experiencing the same thing. Haven't yet shot the gun. The mag slid in fine until after I practiced field stripping (and let's not even broach THAT subject). But I am hesitant to slam this mag home with brute force, as was suggested. It isn't merely resisting, it is hitting a wall. If I force it, no good will come of it, I am sure. And I have to take exception with whoever said all this is normal with a 1911, and I'd simply have to get used to depressing the mag release to reload. Uh uh. That's a quick way of getting dead. Any manufacturer who built a gun like that wouldn't survive the very first wrongful death litigation. And Kimber, at over $1200 for this gun, if you don't count the $300 in ammo for 'break-in' - well, I'm betting they didn't build such a fine gun to make reloading a three-handed affair. Imho.
Welcome @hangtree !!

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
Instead of complaining try post #4 of @Steve in Allentown or call Kimber get a RMA and return for warranty repair. Turn around seems to be in the 10 days or less.

Im confused in your second sentence you say “Haven’t yet shot the gun.” Then at the end reads like you spent $300 in ammo for break-in?…

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
226 Posts
To illustrate my earlier posts, here's a picture of a mag catch that I modified a couple of weeks ago to ease magazine insertion. The area at about 5 o'clock has been aggressively rounded, smoothed, and polished.

Before you do the rounding "paint" the surface below the shelf with blue Sharpie or Dykem. Then seat an empty magazine multiple times so you can see where the the magazine makes initial contact with the mag catch. As you file that spot, you'll want to test fit the catch often with a disassembled magazine to be sure the ledge still engages the mag slot adequately. Only use the magazine tube so you can look down inside the frame to see how much of the shelf is engaging the slot.

This simple modification will make seating a magazine easy. It allows the magazine to push the mag catch aside much more easily. To tune it buy an assortment pak of reduced power magazine catch springs from Wolff and use the one that feels best to you. If you use too light a spring, the magazine will drop out of the pistol during firing. I tend to use the #2 spring most often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Instead of complaining try post #4 of @Steve in Allentown or call Kimber get a RMA and return for warranty repair. Turn around seems to be in the 10 days or less.

Im confused in your second sentence you say “Haven’t yet shot the gun.” Then at the end reads like you spent $300 in ammo for break-in?…
You have a very loose interpretation of what complaining is. I don't recall complaining at all. I responded with comments. And personality, for which I can be pardoned.

As for your confusion about the $300 in ammo for break-in, I did a thing called 'projected costs' - it's a simple accounting concept, whereby I take the average cost per round of 45 ACP (let's assume $0.60) and employ a time-tested technique called multiplication to determine the impact of 300-500 rounds, which Kimber suggests.is adequate for their 'break-in'. The total amounts to a range of$180-300. Since break-in is, as you would surely assert, necessary for any decent 1911, we can roll that amount into what is known as 'cost of acquisition'.

I hope this tedious explanation of an off-hand statement satisfies you. If it doesn't, just keep it to yourself.

Now how bout you limit yourself to civil and constructive commentary. I invite you to be amusing, if you can be, but keep your reactions within grappling distance of rationality. If, however, all you want is to argue incessantly, I suggest getting married.

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
You are a real piece of work. Your response to me shows how disrespectful you are to the membership of this forum. The solution to your issue has been solved by Steve or by returning to Kimber for warranty work. On post number 3 congratulations.
I invite you to follow your own advice in your last paragraph and show some respect!

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are a real piece of work. Your response to me shows how disrespectful you are to the membership of this forum. The solution to your issue has been solved by Steve or by returning to Kimber for warranty work. On post number 3 congratulations.
I invite you to follow your own advice in your last paragraph and show some respect!
First. Put your emotions on safety. Seriously, temperamental tantrum throwers like you probably should be as far as possible from things like guns. Maybe .22's, I don't know.

To be clear - and this will be my final interaction with you, my fine feckless friend - my position is simply that an expensive, fresh from the foundry gun ought to have the ability to reload that doesn't require a lull in the conflict and one's entire concentration. How could that possibly set you off? Anyone who says 'get used to using the mag release to reload' is not to be taken seriously. And anyone who agrees with him is a boob. And someone who both agrees and spends this much time and bile defending him is beyond belief. Go to bed. Let's see if you're man enough to let someone else have the last word sometime. I'm betting, however, that nothing can stop you from ranting and raving. Haters gotta hate. Put it on safe, pal.

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
Still no respect...goodbye! I'll still be here waiting to hate on you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts