Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone ever used Magnum Premier's for 45 acp loads? Ran across a few 1000 Magnum Premiers the other day, bought them.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
...I follow my trusted reloading manuals:
..49th edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook
..9th edition Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading
..Lee Precision Modern Reloading 2nd Edition
..5th edition of the Sierra Handgun Reloading Manual
..Speer Reloading Manual No. 15
..Burger Bullets 1st edition
..Nosler Reloading Manual 8th edition
..Wolfe Publishing - Pet loads Complete Volume
...Lyman Long Range Reloading Manual

...and some shotgun reloading manuals that I have laying around...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
They can be used on 45 acp in a pinch. Just load towards the minimum charge as the primers a little hotter. I use the Winchester primers when I can find them for Standard and Magnum loads. Says both right on the box. I think they’re a little hotter than the CCI

Look it up on YouTube there’s a few videos on using magnum and rifle primers in handgun loads. Use what ya got when ya can’t find what you need. Just down load a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Never used magnum primers reloading 45ACP but there's plenty of feedback on 1911 forums from those who have and don't notice any difference.

I've used small pistol primers reloading 45ACP. A guy at the club was shooting some type of Winchester factory ammo with small pistol brass. I picked up what he shot (about 200) and reloaded with CCI small pistol 500 and W231. No difference in velocities. Shot just fine but I figured they'd somehow get mixed with my regular brass so I tossed 'em.

45ACP is relatively low pressure. Unless ya double charge it's hard to screw up real bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts