Kimber Talk Forums banner

Master Carry Pro

14K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  2sharp2 
#1 ·
I have a new Master Carry Pro that fails on going into battery, stove piping and ejecting cases into my eyes. At 300 rds now, includes Corbon ammo. I just think this is a paper weight now!! I would never use this as a carry weapon.

My older Kimber Classic Custom works flawlessly. I think that Kimber changed quality control a while back. I am a QC aerospace tech and have seen these type of problems come from management changes. I have worked at G.E. Aircraft Engines so you know I'm not a trouble maker.

I will send this arm back to Kimber for repair/retire. I do not like how one has to put a special tool into the spring mechanism to break it down.

trailboss

#3 ·
feedramp wear

This my have been discussed before but being new to Kimbers I have been wondering if there is any documented number of rounds fired before the aluminum feed ramp wears to the point of causing feeding problem's.

#11 ·
This my have been discussed before but being new to Kimbers I have been wondering if there is any documented number of rounds fired before the aluminum feed ramp wears to the point of causing feeding problem's.
Hmmm. The military makes Humvees out of aluminum because they needed a vehicle they could drop from an airplane. Firemen use ladders made of aluminum because pound for pound it is much more rigid and stronger than steel. College baseball bats are made of aluminum. Engine blocks are made with aluminum.

Lighter does not equal weaker where metal is concerned.

(Hoping to get my check from the Aluminum Association soon.)

#17 ·
Good points all!!
Alcan used to be a client. So did E-One Fire Trucks...."The Heart of a Firefighter in an Aluminum Body"....

Aluminum, because of ultra thin, ultra light aluminum cans, got a reputation as "flimsy" which is not at all true for the metal. Cans are only flimsy because they are made to be crushable.

Don't get me started. Oops. Too late!

#5 ·
v35b, I think your concerns are a little unnecessary. Yes, aluminum is a soft metal but it can be hardened, to a degree, with alloys. I don't know if the gun makers, Kimber in particular, do that or not. But, keep in mind, copper is also a soft metal. I would be willing to bet if one could cycle the same round, in the same position, over and over again, it would be the copper that gave in first.

#6 · (Edited)
Returned to Kimber

As an Update, I just shipped the pistol off to Kimber for repair. I will let you know the outcome, due in February. I hope they fix it because my full size is to heavy for all day carry for me in my CrossBreed belt holster with extra mag. I could use my Galco spider rig, but only in winter because I don't wear sport coats in Texas summers.

#8 ·
Kimber Factory Repaired

I got back my Master Carry Pro from the Kimber repair shop in January. I just got back from the range and am happy to report flawless action. I used factory and reloaded ammo. Rapid fire as fast as I could squeeze.

Kimber work preformed

1) Adjusted the extractor
2) Modified the ejection port

I now feel comfortable to carry this as a primary self defense firearm.

thanks for following.

#9 ·
I got back my Master Carry Pro from the Kimber repair shop in January. I just got back from the range and am happy to report flawless action. I used factory and reloaded ammo. Rapid fire as fast as I could squeeze.

Kimber work preformed

1) Adjusted the extractor
2) Modified the ejection port

I now feel comfortable to carry this as a primary self defense firearm.

thanks for following.
I love happy endings!

#13 · (Edited)
I've known five troublemakers in my life. Oddly enough, they all worked at G.E. Aircraft Engines. Just sayin....

Actually, I have a brand new Pro model. 1100 rounds so far. Shoots flawlessly. I'd contact Kimber.
Take down tool? Hear that. Check out threads here on the Wilson Combat guide rod and flat-wire recoil spring kit. (# 651 on their web site as I recall) It eliminates the need for the L tool or "paper clip" tool as some call it. I swapped mine out yesterday. The flat spring lasts 10x longer.

Welcome from Ky.:cool:

Attachments

#20 ·
Glad to hear Kimber took care of your problem.

#21 ·
I bought a Master Carry Pro this past weekend. Mine fails to properly feed rounds into the chamber. About every other round does this... I understand "break-in" periods, but you've GOT to be kidding me... This is NOT what I expect after spending a small fortune on a gun... I've got 250 rounds through it, and it has not gotten any better. I guess my next step is to contact Kimber... GREAT!!!

#25 ·
Thanks for the welcoming party! I broke the gun down and cleaned it before taking it to the range. I tried several different manufacturers magazines. Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Chip Mccormick and Wilson Combat. I was shooting 230 grain Winchester ball ammo. I even brie it down again, re-cleaned it and went back again, with the same result. Perhaps my ejector spring is too tight? Thanks for the concern guys. I can tell this is going to be a great place to learn from.

#28 ·
Back from Kimber

Got my Master Carry Pro back from Kimber. Adjusted the extractor and polished the barrel and feed ramp. This bad boy shoots great now!!! I carry it every day now, with no worries. Now, just because; does anyone know where I can find grips cut for the round heel? Just in case I wanna change her clothes for a while....

#30 ·
Got my Master Carry Pro back from Kimber. Adjusted the extractor and polished the barrel and feed ramp. This bad boy shoots great now!!! I carry it every day now, with no worries. Now, just because; does anyone know where I can find grips cut for the round heel? Just in case I wanna change her clothes for a while....
Glad it got worked out for ya!

#31 ·
I just bought a Master Carry Custom and I'm having problems with feeding. When I lock the slide back, then insert the magazine and release the slide lock, the slide stops about 3/8" from being in battery. If I pull the slide back and sling shot the first round in, it seems to feed ok. I'm shooting 230 grain ball ammo and have a couple of boxes through it. I called Kimber and they said to wait until I have 400 to 500 rounds through it. I also bought a special edition and have not had a single problem with it. I'm going to try some different ammo. I have disassembled and cleaned and lubed it. Will have patience but I'm a bit disappointed. I have a much less expensive Springfield XDS that has never failed to chamber or fire a round starting with round 1.

#32 ·
I'd suggest trying a little more oil on the rails or some grease. I use Brian Enos Slide Glide on the rails of all my guns. I'd also suggest you continue to slingshot the gun instead of using the slide stop to release the slide. I suspect with everything being tight on the new gun the extra pressure on the recoil spring from slingshoting it is helping the slide close. After a couple of hundred rounds everything should start to wear in and you should be good to go.

#34 ·
Kimber Master Carry Pro just ordered

I just got back from my local sporting goods dealer and ordered the new master carry pro. My primary purpose for this gun is concealed carry. Currently I own several pistols including a Kimber LTP II which has worked flawlessly even through break in. I hope the issues I'm seeing are not the result of decreased quality control as reliability is the most important factor in a carry weapon.

#35 ·
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois NDKimber, I think the Master Carry Pro will make an excellent carry gun. I carry a Super Carry Pro, (same gun without the laser) and love it.

#37 ·
After the first 800 round though it I replaced the recoil spring with a "Wilson Flat Wire Spring Kit" and never looked back, the gun just continues to get smoother and slicker then s**it. I'm over 2000 rounds through it and wouldn't think about leaving home without it.

#38 ·
NDKimber and Driscoll,

Welcome from Northern Illinois. As others have mentioned, the 4-500 rounds really does make a difference, slingshot and get the Wilson Flat Wire kit. I have a few Pro series pistols and am slowing moving them to this config.

Keep us posted on your progress, and I am envious of the Gold Combat LE.

John

#40 ·
It really is a sweet, sweet shooting pistol, presently the most accurate 1911 I own. I also have the Master Carry Pro also a fine shooter.

Attachments

Reactions: Jflytle
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.