Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Micro 380 to the range yesterday, along with my Solo and Colt Mustang.

Shot 50 rounds through the Micro using various ammo; Freedom Munitions, American Eagle, Winchester. The gun handled all well with no issues at all. BadaBing BadaBang !!

I did however have some failure to feed issues with the Colt Mustang using the FM ammo. I've had this little pistol for over three years now, probably 600 or so rounds through it and this is the first time I've had an issue. I plan to take down for thorough inspection this weekend.

I also wanted to mention one other notable discovery that occurred when I was loading up mags and getting range bag ready the night before. I started loading the magazines for the Micro first with the FM ammo this is 100gr FMJ with flat nose. When finished, I inserted the modified Sig magazine and cycled the slide and the round stuck at the feedramp in a horizontal position, not enough angle to feed up and in to the chamber. Cleared everything and tried again. Same thing. Grabbed the Kimber extended mag (with same ammo) and it cycled and loaded the round without issue. Then tried the flush mag (same ammo) and had no issue. Changed the ammo to Winchester, same type FMJ with flat nose and tried again, with same results (only the Sig mag had an issue). I then grabbed my Colt Mustang (essentially the same pistol) and using the Sig mag I have for that gun, tried and got same results, with round sticking at feedramp. I tried sling shotting the slide from closed position, releasing the open slide with the slide stop, as well as sling shotting with slide stop engaged and same results (with only the Sig mags).

I then put some American Eagle FMJ Round Nose ammo and the Sig mag loaded the round just as it should. Did same on the Colt and same result, loaded as it should. So I loaded both Sig mags with RN ammo for the range. While at the range, I experimented with putting 6 rounds of the FM ammo and the last round an AE round and both the Micro and Colt cycled/chambered the round and shot all 7 without issue. It seemed to be fine if the first round was a RN round, and this was only happening with the Sig mags. The Kimber and Colt mags in their respective guns all performed flawlessly.

Has anyone else that is using the Sig mags in their Micro 380s experienced anything like this ? It seems since the Kimber mags have become available most folks are just getting the Kimber mags these days.

I've got the Sig mags quarrantined for now until I can do some more studying.

All in all a fun day at the range, particularly in light of the Solo's performance :D

Attachments

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Dang, I'm glad your micro is running well, I really want mine to get up to speed soon now too! Since my Advocate came with 7 round mags I never tried any of the Sig mags in it. I haven't tried the freedom munitions in mine yet, might give it a try. Last week I used Federal 95gr and it was fine except for that last round of every mag. Not sure what to make of this.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang, I'm glad your micro is running well, I really want mine to get up to speed soon now too! Since my Advocate came with 7 round mags I never tried any of the Sig mags in it. I haven't tried the freedom munitions in mine yet, might give it a try. Last week I used Federal 95gr and it was fine except for that last round of every mag. Not sure what to make of this.
I don't know what could cause that either, but that is exactly what my Colt Mustang was doing yesterday also so I'm gonna do some studying and will let you know what I come up with....

Reactions: starnovi

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Thank you. Very interested in what you find out. I'm still not sure if it's me, the ammo, the mags, or the pistol.

· Registered
3 Posts
With my Micro 380 I also had initial load failure to feed problems using blunt nosed ammo. You can see blunt rounds hang up on the front of the magazine too if you strip off the rounds with your thumb. I switched to round nose ammo and Hornady pointed hollow point defense ammo and have no problems. I am using the original seven round Kimber mags. I believe a redesign of the magazine follower to have guides will prevent all types of rounds from pitching down as the slide moves forward to push a round onto the feed ramp.

· Registered
16,341 Posts
@Cliff welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

· Registered
1,358 Posts
I have had some feeding issues with the Freedom Munitions 45acp 230 gr ammo in my 1911s. Got to measuring stuff and found that cartridge OAL was up to .020 longer on them than my handloads, which ran fine! Just a possibility!

· Registered
3 Posts
With my Micro 380 I also had initial load failure to feed problems using blunt nosed ammo. You can see blunt rounds hang up on the front of the magazine too if you strip off the rounds with your thumb. I switched to round nose ammo and Hornady pointed hollow point defense ammo and have no problems. I am using the original seven round Kimber mags. I believe a redesign of the magazine follower to have guides will prevent all types of rounds from pitching down as the slide moves forward to push a round onto the feed ramp.
@Cliff welcome to the site from Tennessee.
Thanks for the welcome.

· Registered
205 Posts
I’ve had problems in the past getting flat nose ammo to cycle in my Kimber Micro .380.

I carry the firearm almost daily, but rarely ever shoot it. So, I took it to the range yesterday and shot some flat nose and ball ammo. I had many problems getting the ammo to feed and eject properly. I was so disgusted, I began thinking that I should trade it off for something more reliable. After I got home, I got to wondering if my thumb might have interfered with the slide by my holding the gun wrong. So today I went back to the range and held it properly, making sure to avoid touching the slide with my thumb. It cycled 35 Freedom Munitions and Fiocchi 95 gr XTP hollow points perfectly. User error the day before I guess.

I like Freedom Munitions ammo. I’ve shot a lot of it over the years, but mostly 9mm. I think it’s as good as any other ammo brands.

· Registered
9,695 Posts
I have had some feeding issues with the Freedom Munitions 45acp 230 gr ammo in my 1911s. Got to measuring stuff and found that cartridge OAL was up to .020 longer on them than my handloads, which ran fine! Just a possibility!
I’m really surprised you have issues with FM ammo. I’ve been using their ammo for years (new and reman). I actually used some a few weeks ago (9mm 115) and have some on order right now.
This order was placed at LAX which is the same company. They both give free shipping on your 1st order and this was my 1st LAX order. For a while they were basically out of business but back now. They have great prices and $5 shipping when you spend $250. These days $250 isn’t a big order.

· Registered
1,358 Posts
From the experiences you guys have had, it sounds like it may not have been the ammo! That was the first time I had used their ammo and was the only thing I did different. I still have 100+ rds left, so I’ll give it another go, maybe in a different gun! What you guys reported sounds good, as they do have excellent prices! Not much more expensive than reloading (with today’s cost of components!), plus you get the brass! Thanks for the feedback!

· Registered
16,341 Posts
FM ammo has been purchased at this house on a regular basis never had any issues with it and I'm talking 9mm, 45acp, .357mag and .44mag. Granted not bought any in awhile mainly due to the business and out of stock products not because of issues with the ammo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts