Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the range today primarily to sight in the new Optics on my CZ Scorpion as well as sight in my Kimber Classic .45 w/a new threaded barrel I put in as well as a new Leupold Deltapoint Optic. Both were great, and the CZ is lethal - WOW!

While I was there, thought I'd send some duty rounds down range w/the little Kimber (Micro 9). Intended to run HST 147gr as that's what I intend to run in the CZ Scorpion (due to being subsonic). Well, apparently my Kimber doesn't like that round. At 7 yrds, after I sent magazine down range, I brought the target in to look (indoor range) and I was like WTF?! So I went again, but really tried to focus on breathing and pull (I was only sending these rounds through to make sure they fed well). Same thing - WTF? So I rested on the bench and sent some and they were a tighter group at 7yrds but 4-5" low. WTF x10!!! So I put some cheap Blazer Brass 124gr ball ammo in and I was back to acceptable again - ~1.5" low @7yrds w/tight group (1-1.5").

So I guess I'll try some other ammo. The good news was it fed well I guess :eek:. I've got some HST 124gr +p at home I guess I'll try next?!

This is the first time I've experienced a gun shooting like such $hit with a quality duty round.

What are you guys finding works best for duty/defensive rounds in the Micro 9?

· Registered
16,341 Posts
Interesting, what brand threaded barrel did you change to? Did you mill the top of the slide to mount the optic? Pics?

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Interesting, what brand threaded barrel did you change to? Did you mill the top of the slide to mount the optic? Pics?
I didn't want to get that committed to the optic approach so I didn't have it milled. Got a dovetail mount from EGW --> Click Here

I went with a Kimber threaded barrel. It just dropped right in. Gotta get use to the new sight height (train my muscle memory) but it will help once my suppressor gets out of the lockup (waiting on tag).

Attachments

· Registered
16,341 Posts
I didn't want to get that committed to the optic approach so I didn't have it milled. Got a dovetail mount from EGW --> Click Here

I went with a Kimber threaded barrel. It just dropped right in. Gotta get use to the new sight height (train my muscle memory) but it will help once my suppressor gets out of the lockup (waiting on tag).
I am very happy to learn about the EGW dovetail mounts. I may end up using some for a Pro or Ultra size in 9mm threaded I have in my mind to build.

Reactions: Bigdog

· Registered
821 Posts
the red tip sticks to the feed ramp occasionally, which is too often. HST or Speer Gold Dot feed fine.
I have heard of that happening with the Hornadys and guns that have very steep feed ramps. I have not personally seen it first hand though.

· Premium Member
1,269 Posts
BigDog: Polished the ramp at all? That was the first thing I did to mine and it has had zero failures to date. Mine was not particularly rough out of the box, but it was not a mirror finish as it is now, either.
Yes I have and it feeds everything else fine, so I've switched away from Critical Defense.

· Registered
43 Posts
A Micro 9 I have likes the HST 147s as much as the 124s but I am still trying to sort out FTFs with those and Blazer 124g standard ball ammo.

I polished the ramp. That made for 45 rounds of Blazer no FTFeeds until I switched to HST 124s. Then FTFs started. Switched to HST 147s - very accurate but more FTFs. 4 out of 21 rounds.

Switched back to Blazer and FTFs continued. Ramp was dirty by this time so I quit for the day. Had not greased rail since previous outing so the frame had 80 rounds and the polished ramp had about 45 before failing during that session.

The tests were performed using 1 new Kimber mag and 1 mag that has 200+ rounds through it and not stored fully loaded very much.

What to do next; polish some more?
Start next session with HST and shoot 100 rounds of expensive SD ammo to get statistics?
Call Kimber?
It doesn't seem like a pistol from Kimber should be this finicky.
When it goes bang, it is very accurate but it needs to be more ammo and carbon tolerant.

· Registered
22 Posts
Got back to the range today, put a handful of HST 124gr +p through the Micro 9. Definite improvement over the 147gr. The 124gr +p was right back on target.
Page 40 of your owners manual: Just an FYI...

"Do not use +P+ ammunition because its
pressures could exceed SAAMI maximums
and result in an unsafe condition that may
cause death, serious injury or property
damage.

NOTE
Although this Kimber firearm is capable
of functioning with +P ammunition in
the appropriate caliber for the firearm, a
steady diet of +P ammunition may affect
the wear characteristics, shorten the
life and endurance of your firearm, and
necessitate more frequent maintenance
and replacement of parts. Do not use +P
ammunition."

You might try Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. FTX #90250

· Registered
82 Posts
Page 40 of your owners manual: Just an FYI...

"Do not use +P+ ammunition because its
damage.

NOTE
and replacement of parts. Do not use +P
ammunition."

You might try Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. FTX #90250
You actually cut off the + after the last +P in your quote. I checked Kimber's manual for their Micro series and you CAN infrequently use SAMMI rated +P ammo. Here's the cut 'n paste...

Do not use +P+ ammunition because its
damage.
NOTE
and replacement of parts. Do not use +P+
ammunition.

See page 40.
https://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/KIMBER_MicroManual_12-16_FINAL.PDF

· Registered
22 Posts
I'm sure you can look at it from any perspective you wish. However, you may find the MTBF on your recoil springs (and other components) will be greatly reduced, and I believe that's the message that Kimber is attempting to convey.

· Registered
82 Posts
I'm sure you can look at it from any perspective you wish. However, you may find the MTBF on your recoil springs (and other components) will be greatly reduced, and I believe that's the message that Kimber is attempting to convey.
I'm not talking about a steady diet of +Ps, just validating the round for CC and shooting standard pressure ammo at the range for target practice. That's being said, the ONLY consideration of using +P ammo is reliability, not accelerated wear.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts