Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,568 Posts
I've switched my carry ammo in my M9 Rapide from Federal Punch 124 grain JHP's to ARX 65 grain. I have less recoil and muzzle flip which allows me to get back on target quickly.

· Registered
16,341 Posts
@Craig S welcome to the site from Tennessee.

· Registered
82 Posts
Kimber manual says not to use +P ammo.
Not true... Kimber says not to use it as a regular diet. Proofing and concealed carry with it is OK according to Kimber. Here's a quote from Kimber: "+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring. "

· Registered
218 Posts
I'm a fan of the 124 grain HST. Shoots accurately and to point of aim. All I carry although I have lots of other stuff since HST (and other high quality ammo) very hard to find. If we ever get back to normal, I am going to have a LOT of practice ammo to fire...

· Registered
64 Posts
I shoot the 147 HST with no issues, haven't tried the 124 HST and was warned to not run +P rnds in the Kimbers.
Interestingly enough, Federal designed a 150gr 9mm HST "Micro" round specifically made to cycle these small defensive handguns.

· Registered
82 Posts
Kimber says it's OK to run +P rounds just as long as it's not a steady diet.

"NOTE Although this Kimber firearm is capable of functioning with +P ammunition in the appropriate caliber for the firearm, a steady diet of +P ammunition may affect the wear characteristics, shorten the life and endurance of your firearm, and necessitate more frequent maintenance and replacement of parts. Do not use +P+ ammunition."

· Registered
64 Posts
Kimber says it's OK to run +P rounds just as long as it's not a steady diet.

"NOTE Although this Kimber firearm is capable of functioning with +P ammunition in the appropriate caliber for the firearm, a steady diet of +P ammunition may affect the wear characteristics, shorten the life and endurance of your firearm, and necessitate more frequent maintenance and replacement of parts. Do not use +P+ ammunition."
Well they do say too much of anything is bad for you :)

· Registered
64 Posts
Any gun can shoot a +p or +p+ at least one time, lol. Had a range master give the advice to not use them.. Never looked back.. No need for me to shoot ‘hot’ rounds through any of my firearms..

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Reading all the above reminds me of some very good advice from Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch....
"If you cannot solve a social encounter gone bad with standard velocity SD ammunition, it's doubtful that the use of +P ammunition will have any effect on the outcome of the event".

Knowing this, why in h3ll beat up your pistol with the heavy toll +P takes on your weapon? I just don't get it. Maybe just to get that "macho high?"

21 - 33 of 33 Posts