Kimbertalk.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, new to the forum and just picked up a Micro 9 stainless with the 7 round magazines. After field stripping and cleaning the new Micro, I went to the range yesterday; only put about 30 rounds through it but had two issues.

First, if I load 7 rounds in the magazine, when I release the slide it will not pick up the first round; jams in the open position, round does not come up from the magazine. If I only load 6 rounds in the magazine, it works great. Same issue with both magazines.

Second, twice, after firing, the slide did not lock in the forward position. I had to lock it open and manually extract the live round.

I did not try different ammunition but was using factory loads; ran out of daylight and it was cold.

I suspect these are new gun issues and will resolve after a few hundred rounds or maybe with some different ammo. But since this is my first Kimber, I thought I'd check with the experts and see if this is normal behavior.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have that issue, along with failure to eject spent brass. I decided to send it back to Kimber. I had shot this pistol for 11 months, well over 1000 rounds. Kimber contacted me, after I told them that I had installed night sights and trigger kit they refused to look at firearm, even though my "upgrades" had NOTHING to do with feed or ejection failures. This is my first and last Kimber. The laser grip also failed. Never have purchased a pistol that disappointed me as much. Since that purchase I have bought three Sig models. upgrades to all three, X5, p320XRP Xcompact, and P365XL, all have never once failed to go bang, not once.

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
troubleshooter, don't blame Kimber for YOUR modification (trigger kit) of the Micro and them voiding your warranty. Company policy is clearly stated in the manual.
Crimson Trace will take care of the laser grip issue, I'm sure.

Reactions: Kimsey

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kimber is a good firearm company.. they stand by there products.. or you do ANY MODIFICATIONS to any firearm all companies will void warranty... also cars
Try putting a twin turbo on a new car and take it back for something motor or trans related... Crimson trace is also a great company.. they are like 7 miles from me and I have walked in a few malfunctioned lasers and with in 5 minutes had a new one in my hand... to round this up I have mostly Sigs and they have there share too.. my 226 Legion had FTF and they took care of it... sorry your not happy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confident the Micro will turn out ok. I cleaned and oiled it again and it seems to be working ok now. Just loaded the first round from a full magazine 15 times; no problem. Let's not turn this into a Kimber bashing session; I was just looking for a little advice. I suspect the issue was a new, tight gun or my technique; probably both.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I too have that issue, along with failure to eject spent brass. I decided to send it back to Kimber. I had shot this pistol for 11 months, well over 1000 rounds. Kimber contacted me, after I told them that I had installed night sights and trigger kit they refused to look at firearm, even though my "upgrades" had NOTHING to do with feed or ejection failures. This is my first and last Kimber. The laser grip also failed. Never have purchased a pistol that disappointed me as much. Since that purchase I have bought three Sig models. upgrades to all three, X5, p320XRP Xcompact, and P365XL, all have never once failed to go bang, not once.
I doubt they 'refused to look at it'. They would simply demand that it be returned to factory specifications internally, at your expense. You then chose to forgo that option, yes?

Been there, done that myself...except I gave in to the demand because I had no choice (my ejector broke and they refuse to sell any repair parts). $202 later I got my fixed gun back.

It's simply down to the sad state of affairs our legal industry has created. Kimber can be sued for any malfunction arising from its products. If it passes through their hands it has to be in factory spec when it leaves, or they are accepting legal liability for something that is no longer theirs.

All you had to do is reinstall the stock springs before returning it and all would have been fine, I expect. I had a full M*Carbo trigger job so I had to buy a new hammer, trigger, sear etc before they would fix the ejector. At least I got my original parts back.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm confident the Micro will turn out ok. I cleaned and oiled it again and it seems to be working ok now. Just loaded the first round from a full magazine 15 times; no problem. Let's not turn this into a Kimber bashing session; I was just looking for a little advice. I suspect the issue was a new, tight gun or my technique; probably both.
Have you tried to polish the feed ramp? Easy to do and probably will make you gun function better. I have 2 micro 9 guns and both have Mcarbo trigger kits and Galloway Slide springs. Both are amazing. No problems at all. Look in my picture album for photos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Comparing this to a car manufacturer would be more accurate in saying that the car company voided warranty because I put Goodyear tires on it instead of factory installed Firestones. The trigger break has nothing to do with the feed and or eject issue. I get it, you are loyal to Kimber. I had a bad experience and am not. I'll dump it and buy something else. no worries

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cut your losses. I'll give you $50 for that POS. I'll even throw in another $50 for those "upgrades" you made.

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
Nope your missing the point...

Comparing this to a car manufacturer would be more accurate in saying that the car company voided warranty because I put Goodyear tires on it instead of factory installed Firestones. The trigger break has nothing to do with the feed and or eject issue. I get it, you are loyal to Kimber. I had a bad experience and am not. I'll dump it and buy something else. no worries

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi, new to the forum and just picked up a Micro 9 stainless with the 7 round magazines. After field stripping and cleaning the new Micro, I went to the range yesterday; only put about 30 rounds through it but had two issues.

First, if I load 7 rounds in the magazine, when I release the slide it will not pick up the first round; jams in the open position, round does not come up from the magazine. If I only load 6 rounds in the magazine, it works great. Same issue with both magazines.

Second, twice, after firing, the slide did not lock in the forward position. I had to lock it open and manually extract the live round.

I did not try different ammunition but was using factory loads; ran out of daylight and it was cold.

I suspect these are new gun issues and will resolve after a few hundred rounds or maybe with some different ammo. But since this is my first Kimber, I thought I'd check with the experts and see if this is normal behavior.

Thanks
Regarding the Kimber Micro 9(what I ended up doing for mine):
...clean thoroughly...
...sling shot load the first round of each magazine during breakin - 400+ rounds
...shoot it with the slide wet
...firm grip no limp wrist
...124 grain FMJ to breakin (mine didn't like reloads during the breakin)
...tap the magazine prior to using to seat the rounds
...I had to watch my right thumb as it would try to ride up on the lower portion of the slide which slowed the recoil sequence causing FTE and FTF issues...
...mine is a great shooter after I worked thru all my issues...

·
Registered
9 Posts
well now, I thought about trading it but that would only give someone else a bad experience, so I'll install factory trigger hardware, call Kimber again, plead my case and see what they might do. If that fails, then I'll use it as a paper weight. I'm curious if they want me to take off night sites also,,, we'll see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After reading these posts it had given me pause on my brand new (tight) Micro 9 Rapide...then I remembered that my wife's Micro 9 and the Micro .380 have been flawless in their operation. Granted the round count is minimal ( maybe only 200 rounds each) but trouble free just the same.

Because I'm rather anal about my gun maintenance, especially the ones I plan to put into my EDC rotation I took my new gun down and polished the feed ramp and wiped all oil off of slide and frame, put it back together and cycled the dry slide probably 500 times to wear the parts in. Took it back apart, cleaned it and carefully relubed it. After putting it back together it is noticeably smoother in operation. All this before I have even put a round thru it. As soon as I get some decent weather I will vette it with 200 or so rounds of 124 grain ball ammo and 100 rounds of carry ammo before it sees any carry duty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Polishing feed ramps. My Micro 9 didn't get fired the first time without polishing the feed ramp. I know, this shouldn't be necessary, but I did it anyway. My Micro 9 has a few rounds through it now and it is absolutely reliable. Personally, I'm not a Kimber Fan Boi. I purchased this gun because it isn't plastic and it operates just like my 1911 A1. I only wish extended safeties, slide release and mag releases were available. I also installed the MCARBO trigger spring kit, fantastic. Otherwise, a fantastic little pistol.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If you want to smooth out a slide frame fit use some tooth paste. Has Calcium Carbonate and Silica in it (both mild abrasives ). Clean, apply to slide and frame and rack away. Clean well and lube. You’ll notice a difference. (Machinists trick when you don’t have any lapping compound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want to smooth out a slide frame fit use some tooth paste. Has Calcium Carbonate and Silica in it (both mild abrasives ). Clean, apply to slide and frame and rack away. Clean well and lube. You’ll notice a difference. (Machinists trick when you don’t have any lapping compound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mother's Metal Polish works well too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
When we finished rebuilding a Joy water cooled, reciprocating air compressor, during run in, we would use Bon Ami on the shaft until the oil stopped getting past the wiper rings, in the packing gland. The nice thing about Bon Ami is that the grit would become a fine powder, that was not abrasive any longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts