Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good folks,

I made sure to search this forum, and the web, and reddit, and youtube, for an answer to this question and I've just had no luck. I'm trying to figure out if the Micro 9 will work with another 1911 hammer, perhaps from Kimber or another similar manufacturer. I want to get a Micro 9 stainless, and replace the hammer and sights with stainless (or similar looking) versions, as I'm not a fan of the black parts on an otherwise stainless gun. I'd prefer to just replace the parts rather than have them coated with NP3 or whatever.

So basically, I'm trying to find out if the Micro 9 hammer is a common standard, or if it has unique machining.

I really appreciate any helpful input, thank you!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hello good folks,

I made sure to search this forum, and the web, and reddit, and youtube, for an answer to this question and I've just had no luck. I'm trying to figure out if the Micro 9 will work with another 1911 hammer, perhaps from Kimber or another similar manufacturer. I want to get a Micro 9 stainless, and replace the hammer and sights with stainless (or similar looking) versions, as I'm not a fan of the black parts on an otherwise stainless gun. I'd prefer to just replace the parts rather than have them coated with NP3 or whatever.

So basically, I'm trying to find out if the Micro 9 hammer is a common standard, or if it has unique machining.

I really appreciate any helpful input, thank you!
Welcome to the forums.
The Micro9 isn't a 1911.
It just looks sorta like one.

·
Administrator
40,788 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dirtslinger, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your hobbies, and what area you're located in.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
There's a gunsmith here in town that does cerakote coatings for guns, and they can cerakote the hammer and iron sights to a matching glacier color and I think that'll do nicely for what I'm wanting.
Not sure I would Cerakote a hammer. It may not hold up. It's a very hard finish but on the hammer face and the pivot pin area... I don't believe any spray-on coating is going to last where the part makes contact with another or the frame itself.

But... nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you go for it, be sure to post some pics after it's all back together and you have run a few hundred rounds thru it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I would Cerakote a hammer. It may not hold up. It's a very hard finish but on the hammer face and the pivot pin area... I don't believe any spray-on coating is going to last where the part makes contact with another or the frame itself.

But... nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you go for it, be sure to post some pics after it's all back together and you have run a few hundred rounds thru it.

Good luck!
I absolutely will post pics. My Micro 9 is ordered and should arrive at my FFL place in two or three days, and I'll take it straight to the shop and get the cerakoting done. Call me OCD but I just don't understand why companies like Kimber and Beretta will make a stainless/Inox pistol and put black parts on it like sights/mag release/hammer etc. Bugs me so much that I'm doing this, lmao.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I absolutely will post pics. My Micro 9 is ordered and should arrive at my FFL place in two or three days, and I'll take it straight to the shop and get the cerakoting done. Call me OCD but I just don't understand why companies like Kimber and Beretta will make a stainless/Inox pistol and put black parts on it like sights/mag release/hammer etc. Bugs me so much that I'm doing this, lmao.
Silver sights will wash out in sunlight and produce glare making them impossible to use.
That's why virtually no one has silver sights on handguns
Function over form.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
You should shoot that gun before doing any modifications. Go through the break in period and if everything functions fine then do the modifications. If you have a problem Kimber will void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Call me OCD but I just don't understand why companies like Kimber and Beretta will make a stainless/Inox pistol and put black parts on it like sights/mag release/hammer etc.
As @bad ninja mentioned, sun is killer on raw stainless. I have a Ruger Security Six and a SP101 that are stainless. They are brutal in direct sun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As @bad ninja mentioned, sun is killer on raw stainless. I have a Ruger Security Six and a SP101 that are stainless. They are brutal in direct sun.
I was thinking the dots on the sights being a different color would negate any glare, especially since it will be a matte finish and not something glossy like nickel. But I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I was thinking the dots on the sights being a different color would negate any glare, especially since it will be a matte finish and not something glossy like nickel. But I don't know for sure.
It's not the sights.. it's the ramp between them that reflects and distracts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts