Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a sweet little Kimber Micro 9 for the better half.

It has been misfiring once every magazine or 2. Pull the trigger, click, nothing. Manually eject the round, continue for a while with no issues. Primer has a small mark, but no dent...

Reload same round into next magazine, and it fires no problem.

Does not seem to matter what brand of ammo.

I have heard that Kimbers need "a couple hundred rounds to stop fouling" whatever that means. This now has 300-ish through it. Is this something that might cure itself, would a supersonic cleaning help, (might be hogwash, but our club offers these) or should we seek professional gunsmith help?

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Might try removing/cleaning the firing pin and spring. Have you tried the pencil test ? I do this after removing/cleaning my firing pins.

Take a regular old fashion pencil with eraser. Make sure gun is cleared of any rounds and place the pencil in Barrel with eraser toward the firing pin. Aim in safe direction and pull trigger. I generally aim slightly upward. Pencil should fly out across room.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear you are having problems with your Micro 9.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear! Pulled mine out the box today and put 300 thru without a hitch. Did you get it from academy by chance? I heard they got a batch with some misfire issues.
We did get it at Academy.

Before I pull the firing pin, we are going to send it in to Kimber. It is only a month or so old.

Dumb question, as I've never dealt with it...

I can ship directly to Kimber from here via UPS or FedEx... can they ship it directly back to me, or does it have to go to my FFL dealer?

· Registered
570 Posts
So sorry you're having this problem. Do let us know what happens after it visits the mother ship!

· Registered
263 Posts
Before you ship it back, put a good bit of lube on both ends of the firing pin and push the pin in a few times. Let it sit overnight and do it again. Clean it up, run it wet and go to the range. I had the same issue and I kept working on it till it cleared up. The next time it clicks, try pulling the hammer back and restriking. It took a couple of times, but I got it running fine.

· Administrator
42,016 Posts
Personally I don't believe in lubing the firing pin and spring. I remove them, clean the tunnel, firing pin and spring and replace them. My feeling is that the lube will attract residue from the fired cartridges and gum things up.

· Registered
6 Posts
Interesting thread. My Micro 9 is now in Kimber's hands for exactly the same reason. Also bought at Academy. After 300-400 rounds still getting frequent jams. Hate to be without it for a month+, but the manufacturer needs to address vs home-brew attempts at repair (my opinion).

· Administrator
42,016 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Chocaholic, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

· Registered
6 Posts
She arrived yesterday with a new barrel, spring, polished chamber, adjusted ejector, etc... off to the range and fired 100 flawless rounds. Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Have to applaud the customer service. Glad she's back in the IWB.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts