Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a micro 9 that has been carried in the holster for several months.
Worked fine when I put it there last. Somehow it broke just carrying it around. Pulled the gun out and removed the magazine and racked the slide to clear the chamber. Then tried to move the safety to off position and it was HARD to do and really never went click even though I managed to force it down. Pulled the trigger and heard a faint click and the hammer stayed fully cocked. Racked the slide and moved the safety on and off till my thumbs got sore and then pulled off the grips to check inside. Removing the slide would be my next step but all of a sudden the safety clicked down properly and the hammer started working. I would send it back to Kimber but how do you find a problem when it is now working fine? I have since removed the slide and cleaned and oiled it with no obvious issue. Anyone have an idea what could of caused the safety to stick on and not release the hammer? I bought this new 2 years ago and it has been sent back once under warranty due to battery hangs. They changed a bunch of parts and reamed the chamber and it functioned perfectly until now. I will call Kimber but wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on this safety hanging. Thanks for any insight.

·
Super Moderator
37,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kimber9, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Even though you haven't fired it in several months but just carried it in a holster, you should pull it apart and re-oil it at least once a month because you can get a build up of lint and crud and the oil will dry out. I have a couple of pistols that I keep in a drawer for months at a time and I do that same thing every now and then pull them out break them down wipe them down and re-oil.
Then check everything for function including the pencil launch test.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Have a micro 9 that has been carried in the holster for several months.
Lesson 1:
Check your gun more frequently than once every several months. This is more than likely a maintenance issue.

I don't own a Micro 9, so I could be wrong, but it's not likely. The safety on the Micro 9 is a rudimentary contraption that only serves to hold the hammer back. It's not at all like a 1911. There's very little to go wrong with it. For some owners, I'd recommend disassembly, but perhaps you can fix it more quickly and easily.

What's probably happened is some dirt got in there and bound everything up. The problem could also be caused by a lack of lubrication, or subpar lubricant that has become gummy. Your task is to clean it up.

In the past, I was of the opinion that Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber, an aerosol cleaner, was for bush league hacks. But recently I've come to appreciate it as a useful tool that can save disassembly of intricate mechanisms. Get some.

Field strip the gun, including removal of the grips. Now hose down the innards of the gun with the aerosol cleaner. Douche it out good. You want the product dripping off and making a mess over whatever is below that hopefully you covered up. Spray the gun from all directions. Pull the trigger a bunch of times. Pull the hammer back and lower it (don't "shoot" the gun and let the hammer drop on the frame without the slide installed). Also work the safety back and forth as you hose it down. Be VERY careful to only move the safety lever through it's NORMAL range of motion. If you rotate it up too far, you'll be removing it, and then springs will shoot out and you'll be very sad.

Now the innards of your gun will be bone dry. That's not good, you need lubrication on all that stuff. Whatever kind of gun-specific CLP that you like will be fine. Spray it down in there, and be sure you get the safety area, as well. You don't need to have the CLP running off the gun like you did with the cleaner, but don't be stingy. The spray will need to creep into all the areas where you washed off all the old lubricant. Wipe off any excess, and the frame is ready to reassemble.

You might want to do something similar to the slide. If the safety was all bound up, it's possible that there was dirt in the firing pin channel. Again, disassembly is always best, but you can get by with the Gunscrubber. The only difference is that you don't want to lubricate the firing pin channel. Firing pin block, rails, bushing, lock-up, and barrel are all areas where you'll want to precisely apply lubricant. Refer to the manual for this.

Let us know how the gun runs when you're done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did exactly what Rusty Iron had said using the gun scrubber before first post. Thanks for good advice. Noticed that scrubber stuff turns the blued parts (hammer) white but oil brings back the normal blue. I did have some lint and fuzz around the hammer area. I do have rubber grips but the safety was still hard for a cycle or two after the grips were removed. Have not shot it yet since failure but put the safety back on until range time. I looked at the owners manual parts breakdown and I can't be sure what part the safety shaft engages. Maybe hammer? Sidebar-If you clean pistols a lot, I have found Oral Care Swabs (foam on a stick) work great and cost 9 to 11 cents. I will follow up after a call to Kimber to see if they have seen this before. I don't want to send the gun in yet as it seems fine for now. But if it becomes a mystery again it will be making a trip to service and you will hear about it. Thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am, unfortunately, as guilty as you are with carrying my .380 Micro for months without cleaning/lubing. I was checking mine out about a week ago and was shocked to see how much lint/dust/whatever had collected on it and in every crevice it had. I cleaned it VERY well and relubed everything appropriately. While I had it apart, I polished the guide rod, feed ramp, and the outside of the barrel a little. I was shocked out how filthy a pistol that has been carried but not fired since its last cleaning could get. I'll be doing mine at least once a month - probably more frequently - from now on.

·
Super Moderator
37,744 Posts
Don't forget to clean the holster you're carrying it in. I clean both my EDC and holster once a month if I haven't fired it that month. For my leather holsters I use Fiebing's foaming saddle soap.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep, carry guns get crudded up fast. Inspect regularly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have stock stocks and the safety is STIFF/HARD to remove. Applying not so bad but stiff.

Guess it needs to be applied/removed few hundred times to wear off some burrs??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts