Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have a link, sorry, but the current issue of American Handgunner on the shelf has an article by Massad Ayoob detailing a SD shooting involving a crazed individual (unarmed) assaulting an elderly homeowner. The homeowner had a Micro 9 loaded with his range ammo, WW 115gr FMJ. The intruder was killed with two shots. Using the 'disparity of force' defense in court, the homeowner was acquitted and set free as he should have been.

Good, interesting story worth the read. I subscribe, but it's on the newsstand now. It's the only magazine I subscribe to any more other than the American Rifleman, as I'm a life member.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kidding aside, the entire story is a good read and recommended.
One thing to take away in regard to ammo choice is that we're all enamored by all the new high performance SD bullets, especially in 9mm. This assault was stopped by the "puny" 115gr FMJ probably at around 1,200 fps with two shots, the first having no effect on the intruder, hit in a non-vital zone. No telling how that one could have ended if one of the slugs had not smacked into the guys shoulder bones and deflected down straight into his heart, killing him almost instantly.

It just makes one think about bullet choices and especially shot placement. In SHTF situations, we need all the help we can get when that adrenaline gets to pumping.
This is also a good read as to the fact that the intruder was unarmed, 24 yrs old and about 280 lbs. The homeowner was 68 yrs old, about 140 lbs. This is where the term "Disparity of Force" comes into play, and was the critical element in the homeowner not being charged with killing an unarmed man.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
When did age 68 get to be elderly?
Since 1811, gramps. The conventional wisdom is ...
  • 65 and older if one has impairments due to age (65 used to be old age and many average people were ready for their dirt nap by then)
  • 75 and older no matter what your health
Don't let it bug you. The term 'elder' used to be a sign of respect. Then boomers killed that tradition. Ironic. Now boomers are all elderly. :)

I am the youngest of five. By a pretty wide margin. My oldest sister and brother were stereotypical hippies, free spirits that came of age in the late 1960s. When they hit 60, they started saying s__t like "age is just a number". Right. I would say, "Well how old are you then? Because I don't trust anyone over 30. You groovy cats are outa sight."

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since 1811, gramps. The conventional wisdom is ...
  • 65 and older if one has impairments due to age (65 used to be old age and many average people were ready for their dirt nap by then)
  • 75 and older no matter what your health
Well then, it's confirmed.................I'm elderly and OLD! :eek:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Well then, it's confirmed.................I'm elderly and OLD! :eek:
Indeed. Everybody has an expiration date. We just don't know when it is. I say enjoy the ride and quit worrying. Spending every day of your life pissed off at something (or everything) will take years off your life. The future is not ours to control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts