Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of talk and even technical data showing how Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil is best to use on your firearms. I was wondering do any of you guys use it, or other motor oils on you firearms?

Just looking for thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance :)

msiple

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've seen a lot of talk and even technical data showing how Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil is best to use on your firearms. I was wondering do any of you guys use it, or other motor oils on you firearms?

Just looking for thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance :)

msiple
Sure, go for it. Let us know how you like it. Can be a heavily debated subject, but the people here are nice. :)

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
I used Mobile 1 for years on my pistols and shot guns. Use it with confidence. I switched to frog lube 2 years ago but if I were to go back to oil I still have a life time supply of Movile 1 left!

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
I think that most guys really over think gun oil. For a gun that's kept at home, makes an occasional trip to the range then is back home and cleaned before putting it away just about any oil will work. It's when the gun is going to be subjected to the different elements (cold, humidity, dust, dirt etc.) for prolonged periods of time that you have to get into the merits of special types of lubricants.

Reactions: Lineman and Oreste

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
I think that most guys really over think gun oil. For a gun that's kept at home, makes an occasional trip to the range then is back home and cleaned before putting it away just about any oil will work. It's when the gun is going to be subjected to the different elements (cold, humidity, dust, dirt etc.) for prolonged periods of time that you have to get into the merits of special types of lubricants.
Could not agree more. 95% of us don't abuse a pistol or rifle like the military does. If you clean your gun after every range trip or every other trip, almost any light viscosity oil will be fine.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I see no reason why you couldn't use Mobil 1 on a firearm...

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
How about WD40 on a rag to wipe it down?

Reactions: Lineman

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
WD40 is a better cleaner than lube. I found that evaporates pretty quickly..

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
So, just to wipe down my girls and get the finger prints off, maybe just a lightly oiled rag would do?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So, just to wipe down my girls and get the finger prints off, maybe just a lightly oiled rag would do?
I use Mobil 1 in my Porsche, which is the factory spec.

I buy the Hoppe's silicone impregnated cloth wipes for wiping down and for lube I use a synthetic gun oil, NRA MC2500.
Whether it's worth a crap or not I don't know. It seems to work. Here is a link:

MC2500® Lubricating Gun Oil

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
I use a silicone impregnated cloth made by Hoppes. Bought a new one the other day at Acadamy Sports for around three or four dollars.

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
I can remember as far back as the late 40's my grandfather and dad used nothing but Hoppes #9 and 3-1 oil on all their guns and it seemed to work just fine. I've still got and shoot all those old guns they had.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
3 in 1 is to lubricants what duct tape is to adhesives.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Interesting. One article says Yay! Another Nay! Who do you believe? Nothing special in the formula for "gun oil?" I believe that.

In my car I use the 0W40 and no gun could possibly test oil like my car. I've taken mine to 8,000 RPMs a couple of times and that is some serious workout for oil. Frankly, I'm tempted to go out to the garage and bottle up some Mobil 1 to use on my gun. :cool:

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I'm just gonna leave this laying right ..... over ..... here .......

Hmm, welllll, ya gonna take the recommendation of an oil company or the gun manufacturer?

Will the oil company repair your Kimber if something goes wrong?

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
If what you've been doing has been working then there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Clean them, lube them, used them, repeat.

On the other hand if it's so humid you're finding rust on your gun, if it's being used in temperatures that are so cold the action is slowing down or if it's so hot your lubricant is running off the gun then you need to look into special lubricants. Until then let's not over think or lose any sleep over this.

Reactions: Lineman and Dude22
1 - 20 of 60 Posts