Kimber Talk Forums banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Marshall, I'm disappointed in the lack of pictures. I was really looking forward to seeing your or GiGi shooting it.
We're going again Wed or Thursday after work so I will take some then when there aren't too many people there.

I'm pretty new to this outdoor range and the RO are pretty much a "by the rule" kind of guys. I have to concentrate on the 3 second rule between shots, make sure that I change the flip signs to the proper color while we're shooting or not shooting and everybody there is pretty old school shooters. The targets get changed every twelve minutes so there isn't much time to lollygag around, load mags and then shoot.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Awww that's sweet he thinks those dudes came down the range to see his new boom boom stick. LOL such a goober.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Glad to hear ya'll had a good time.

I'd be curious to hear a woman's perspective shooting the Shockwave. Any chance Ms Terminator might give us a detailed report on her thoughts shooting Black Thunder?
Wow!!!! To say that Marshalls's new addition was exciting is putting it mildly :) :) :) This little guy is more than fun for sure!

At first I was hitting the target low but after the first couple of turns and some adjustment, the center (or close to it) became much esier. It certainly does have some kick but this is one fun shooter!!!

The Mossberg Shockwave is Gigi approved!!!!

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
GOOBER, I haven't heard that in years, I love it.

Ha, sometimes my Southern roots come out. If Marshall was down here we would get him to eat grits and boiled peanuts and squirrel and dumplins and stuff. lol

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Wow!!!! To say that Marshalls's new addition was exciting is putting it mildly :) :) :) This little guy is more than fun for sure!

At first I was hitting the target low but after the first couple of turns and some adjustment, the center (or close to it) became much esier. It certainly does have some kick but this is one fun shooter!!!

Thank you for not telling them that my first two shots didn't hit jack squat because that may have been embarrassing to say the least.

In my defense I had never shot a rifle/shotgun that didn't have a stock that I didn't place on the shoulder. I watched a ton of videos and thought I knew what I was going to do until I heard that first "Kaboom" go off. At that point it was a trial and error shooting experiment and I know it will get easier with more practice.

I do feel confident enough to load the Shockwave now while it's here in my apartment. If something were to happen I would feel like I could hit the bad guy enough to make him "shart" his boxers....

Your's truly....Goober {Really Arland ?}....:D

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Yes, Goober. I will call you Goober whenever your words or actions dictate.

·
Administrator
38,855 Posts
Yes, Goober. I will call you Goober whenever your words or actions dictate.
Goober.... I like that, carry on with my approval Arland.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·

Great to see a woman's review of a defense 12ga like the Shockwave. Of all the Shockwave (aka Black Thunder) reviews I've read and watched you're the first. :cool:

Who will be next, starnovi?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
With the temps being in the low 90's our hands were sweating a bit and the grip was getting slick. I ordered some shooting gloves this morning anticipating this so the next time out there won't be an issue.
The open finger gloves you ordered are definitely the right style to eliminate snags reloading the shockwave.

I don't know about those particular gloves, but shooting gloves even with little padding in the palms surprisingly goes a long way to reduce fatigue from repeated recoil. I particularly like wearing gloves while shooting the Shockwave because for reloading I flip the Shockwave upside down and grip the warm/warmer/hot barrel right in front of the receiver with my support hand and reload with my right hand. It's an easy way to reload while keeping that pesky muzzle pointed down range at all times.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Goober.... I like that, carry on with my approval Arland.
Thank you Chuck. His new avatar pic is working and speaks for itself.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I'm having more fun with this thing.... I bet I've shot the Shockwave more in the past couple weeks than I've shot my Winchester Defender in the last couple years or more. Never been a shotgun guy, only had the one Winchester.

The Thunder Ranch technique has quickly become more natural than I thought it would and is now pretty darn fast too.

Best $389 I've spent on guns in a while. And it actually serves a purpose beyond holding down the safe.

Truck guns...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
For you Remington fans.... Palmetto has the Remington for $379 free shipping.

I'll tell ya... with my paw riding about an inch away from the muzzle I'm a lot more comfortable with it inside the Shockwave strap.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
So how much kickback does this give you? I wanted to buy one for my husband, he didn't want another shotgun but I really wanted it. Now I'm thinking about getting one for myself. Has your wife shot it? I'm wondering if I will be able to hang onto it and not have the front end flying all over.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I bought one about 6 weeks ago and it is not excessive kickback if you consider you are shooting about a 2 foot long 12 ga. and holding it in two hands. You would want to stay away from the 3" shells and use 2 3/4". Saying that my wife still backed out of shooting mine. It is a fun gun to have, good luck if you get one. I predict your husband will get on board with it after he tries it.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
So how much kickback does this give you? I wanted to buy one for my husband, he didn't want another shotgun but I really wanted it. Now I'm thinking about getting one for myself. Has your wife shot it? I'm wondering if I will be able to hang onto it and not have the front end flying all over.
The felt kick isn't at all like a shoulder-fired 12ga. Instead of the shoulder taking all the recoil from a convention stock, the recoil from the Shockwave is absorbed by moving joints-- shoulder, elbow and wrists.

My wife hasn't shot the Shockwave but perhaps KT member GiGi will weigh in with a more detailed report from a woman's perspective.

The below video is a superb Shockwave how-to. IMO, the cautions and techniques should be followed 100%. I practice with the Shockwave quite a bit. Shooting gloves help reduce fatigue.

I believe he's shooting full load 00 Buck. The gun barely moves. I've seen a lot of videos of the Shockwave in operation. The only time I saw someone lose control is showing off shooting one-handed. Bad idea.

Here is a gal shooting the same Mossberg 12ga but with a pistol grip (I think pistol grips are far more punishing than the birds head on the Shockwave).

Country girl with a 12ga... it don't get much better than that.

Notice how the shoulder and head get jerked round so much more with a convention stock. Good music... great shooting.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thanks guys, going to check with my LGS this weekend to see if they have any and how much they can get it for. Husband is looking for another AR platform, so maybe they will give us a deal. Otherwise Santa might have to bring us what we want....which isn't all that far off now! Yikes!

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Thanks guys, going to check with my LGS this weekend to see if they have any and how much they can get it for. Husband is looking for another AR platform, so maybe they will give us a deal. Otherwise Santa might have to bring us what we want....which isn't all that far off now! Yikes!
Hey Star, being my own Santa has always worked best for me!!

Reactions: cnutco
121 - 140 of 168 Posts