Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my accountant today to discuss my tax filings for next year and my Social Security checks.
My wife and I are both Realtors now and often show homes by ourselves to people we don't know at all hours of the day and night. Of course I am concerned for her safety and mine.
I asked my accountant if I could claim my pistols I purchased last year as a deduction? He said yes and also ammunition for practice. So I will claim my Super Carry Ultra Plus and the Solo I purchased for my wife last year. What do you think about that?

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Wow, that's great, I think it's about time you started getting in more range time LOL.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's exactly what I think Chuck:). But most important you should have seen the look on my wife's face:eek:. Kind of took the her by surprise. I am already planning on a new compact sometime this year.:D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technically we are independent contractors. My sales manager just said don't carry in the office. I understand the importance to keep them concealed because of the impression a client may get.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
That's great...My gf works as a mortgage banker and travels locally 70% of the time.She asked if she could carry while she was going between realtors and lenders and her company said no way that it was against company policy.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Just being retired, I don't think I would qualify, but I'm real glad someone can benefit from a tax standpoint by carrying a firearm. Most of the time I feel the IRS has a gun to MY back!!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I wonder if I could claim some guns and ammo. Last week I had a guy in the office- homeless and kind of crazy. He wouldn't leave. I finally got him out and about five minutes later he came barging in past the receptionist and into my office, only this time he was carrying some sort of bag.

I had no idea what he has- gun-knife-sword- who knows? It was very tense I forcefully demanded that he leave. I directed my secretary to call 911. I had my hand in my pocket on my .38 the whole time. I was prunning scenarios through my head. He finally left, a few seconds before the police arrived.

They knew who he was and said they would find him and issue a trespass warning.

The folks in the office know I carry, but they asked if I had my gun with me. They know I always do, but still they asked, and were glad I had it.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I wonder if I could claim some guns and ammo. Last week I had a guy in the office- homeless and kind of crazy. He wouldn't leave. I finally got him out and about five minutes later he came barging in past the receptionist and into my office, only this time he was carrying some sort of bag.

I had no idea what he has- gun-knife-sword- who knows? It was very tense I forcefully demanded that he leave. I directed my secretary to call 911. I had my hand in my pocket on my .38 the whole time. I was prunning scenarios through my head. He finally left, a few seconds before the police arrived.

They knew who he was and said they would find him and issue a trespass warning.

The folks in the office know I carry, but they asked if I had my gun with me. They know I always do, but still they asked, and were glad I had it.
Glad the encounter worked out for you. Ask your account if personal protection is a deduction. I can't hurt to try!!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
There are all kinds of things you can deduct as a business expense. But, and this is a big, big butt, are you prepared for an audit if some of the things you claim raise red flags with the [-]gestapo[/-], um, IRS?

There are certain things that get their attention. So, if the price of the pistols and the price of ammo is worth a possible run in with the Feds, enjoy. ;)

Edit:
Regular vbulletin html doesn't seem to work on this site.

Reactions: bigdog10

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That makes sense.Prior to retirement I was always able to deduct my telephone bills because I was required to have a phone,also dry cleaning bills for uniforms,toll money spent travelling back and forth from work,any magazine subscriptions related to anything law enforcement(and that could be a stretch),any equipment that I paid for out of pocket.Boy,that was sweet.Makes me kinda wish I could do it all over again(except for the ex-wives).:D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Point, Of course I don't want a fight with the IRS but I am very conservative and quite frankly don't cheat those dudes. I don't like to pay but it is part of it. :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Good Point, Of course I don't want a fight with the IRS but I am very conservative and quite frankly don't cheat those dudes. I don't like to pay but it is part of it. :)
You're right about that.The IRS is not the agency to screw with,they can make you're life miserable.Even if you are right.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Here in NY its hard enough to have a gun. I'm sure ol' gov. Commo is looking for a way to tax us.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
If he's wrong, does he pay the penalties and fines or do the jail time?

Is tax evasion a felony? Felon's are not allowed to own gun. Hm, there's a twist.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
If he's wrong, does he pay the penalties and fines or do the jail time?

Is tax evasion a felony? Felon's are not allowed to own gun. Hm, there's a twist.
If you're talking to me, I don't do anything illegal. But to answer your question, yes my CPA would represent me if there was a dispute.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts